+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 226 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

There is a big difference between my age and the "older" ones in the family. I was very spoiled (still am) but I always felt I had 4 mothers and could always go to one of my sisters or mother depending on my needs at the time. I can hear my mother and my 3 sisters words coming from my mouth. I believe I have a lot in common with my sisters now that we are all grown. I had the older parents, still not sure I liked that, I think I missed out on some things with them.I hope Michelle and Jim Bobrealizes that there comes an age and a person needs to step back and say we are getting too old to have more children and we will not always be able to do things.
    There's no place like home!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain;3656271;
    There is a big difference between my age and the "older" ones in the family. I was very spoiled (still am) but I always felt I had 4 mothers and could always go to one of my sisters or mother depending on my needs at the time. I can hear my mother and my 3 sisters words coming from my mouth. I believe I have a lot in common with my sisters now that we are all grown. I had the older parents, still not sure I liked that, I think I missed out on some things with them.I hope Michelle and Jim Bobrealizes that there comes an age and a person needs to step back and say we are getting too old to have more children and we will not always be able to do things.
    Good points. What if Michelle keeps having babies into her late 40's and early 50's and they start having problems like Down's Syndrome? Her older children will get stuck with the responsibility of taking care of these special needs children for possibly their entire life-time, when Michelle and Jim Bob die. It doesn't seem right.

Unfortunately, for the Duggar's and families like them, women are raised to be baby machines. They are not "designed" to go into a secular world of university and to learn a career whereby they become independent, especially financially. It is sad that unless one of their daughters rebel, they will be forced into the life that Michelle chose for herself. As nice of people as they seem, they actually are very controlling. Its fine that this lifestyle suits the parents, but give their children the freedom to go out in the world, find their own pathway. Especially since Michelle and JB experienced the "secular" world before tying themselves down in this fashion, it just doesn't seem right, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax;3654851;
    I have to say, I do think there is exploitation involved here. I think they come across as good and kind people, but it doesn't mean they aren't exploiting the kids. I think you are right though, people tend to not criticize this family the way they do another "reality" family because they are more likable and well-behaved than the other family is.

I want to add that I've always had a problem with the way they make the older kids raise the younger ones. Those kids work hard, which is fine, but I hate to think that their lives are just a constant stream of babysitting and chores. Yes they travel via the show, but still... and I worry that JB does not seem to encourage further education beyond high school. Maybe some of the girls would rather have careers instead of becoming baby machines. They should be encouraged in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3657222;
    Unfortunately, for the Duggar's and families like them, women are raised to be baby machines. They are not "designed" to go into a secular world of university and to learn a career whereby they become independent, especially financially. It is sad that unless one of their daughters rebel, they will be forced into the life that Michelle chose for herself. As nice of people as they seem, they actually are very controlling. Its fine that this lifestyle suits the parents, but give their children the freedom to go out in the world, find their own pathway. Especially since Michelle and JB experienced the "secular" world before tying themselves down in this fashion, it just doesn't seem right, in my opinion.
    But I don't feel they believe that their daughters are just "baby machines".

Jim Bob is very respectful of Michelle's opinion and acknowledges that they make decisions together. Somehow I can't see Jim Bob holding his wife up and making sure his daughters understand what their role in life should be.

I imagine that if any of the Duggar kids want to go to college, Jim Bob & Michelle would be more than happy for them. It's just that they don't seem to have very much social activities with teens or kids in regular schools, so they don't get much exposure to the benefits of college. Which is a shame.

But that's just the impression I get.

Seems like I read somewhere that Anna has a bachelor's degree in education... maybe that might be of some influence on the older Duggar girls? (at least it would come in handy for homeschooling a big family )
    remember to play

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3659117;
    Seems like I read somewhere that Anna has a bachelor's degree in education... maybe that might be of some influence on the older Duggar girls? (at least it would come in handy for homeschooling a big family )
    Say's on josh and anna's website...

Anna graduated from High School at the age of sixteen, and often went with her father to minister to the young girls in the JDC. Anna continued with higher education and in 2008 received a B.A. Degree in Christian Education. Anna now works with her husband at their pre-owned car dealership, Champion Motorcars. Josh & Anna, now married, reside at their Fayetteville home.

So she did have higher education.

I don't think michelle or Jimbob will never say no to college to any of their children, though i know alot of my friends who don't even want to go to college
    I live normally as any 21 yearold...and personally I have no clue what i want to be or do, though i did go to college for baking and pastry.
    And personally i think we push young teenagers fresh out of highschool, to go to college and become something way to soon when they don't even know what they really want to be. .

But i do know for sure that i do want a family, i want four kids and husband out of my own dream. I dream of becoming a mother someday and being a bride. I can put it on, small town mentalities. Of getting married young and having children, that how we were raised pretty much. That and I find myself rather 'old fashioned' to alot of people my own age. That i have alot of my own value and moral i stand by. Yes i drink, but I have never smoked, or done drugs in my life, snuck out, stole from a store, never skipped school, I cooked and cleaned since i was 11 years old, i was doing my own laundry by 10. My brother and I practically raised each other at times, since my mom was always working, and my dad always sided with his second wife< rents divorced when i was 3 btw>

So when i see the duggar, I don't find them that different. I don't think their part of any cult. I know if i had a miscarriage and i was on birthcontrol, i could second think about using it ever again. but after i thought okay, I have my kids..I would get tied or something.
    I think the mini duggars are good natured kids, with good heads on their shoulders.
    And if you think about it, families were kinda like them back in the old days. When there was no t.v or net. Everyone helped out around the house and minded younger siblings, helped eachother with school work and had handy downs and used toys and bikes and everything else. Where you weren't allowed to be with a boy without someone else with you.

And up till 50 some years ago...women always wore skirts. My great grandmother used to bug my about wearing pants all the time especially to school and my grandmother who was more modern and hip even refused to even let us wear dress pants to church, it was a dress or skirt one or the other with a nice pair of tights and blouse and often a hair ribbon And to this day when i go to church i never wear pants.

And I wish i had the duggars girls hair...I love long hair, mines just past my shoulder blades and i'm growing it longer!!

Gonna leave this here before it gets any longer lol.
    Last edited by Celestrial; 08-12-2009 at 11:21 PM.

I agree we push kids into college too fast and demand they declare majors when they're freshmen and wonder why it isn't always successful. I dropped out of college my first run. Second time I did and got through grad school but it was after living life and figuring out exactly what I wanted to do.

That being said I hate these shows but when you look at the Duggar's you have to remember you are looking at them through the lens of the culture and reality you were raised with. Their culture is different than the one that the vast majority of the people on this forum have and different does not mean bad. It is just different. When making judgments about what is right/wrong with their family you are making them from your cultural point of view and not theirs.

FORT Newbie

I flunked my second semester of college. Mostly becausely i skipped on to many classes. After i moved out day I decided to do all the things i wasn't allowed to do, like dye my hair and with no one to bug me about school I slept through a lot of classes in the morning. and I think back, I graduated at 17, moved out day after grad, spent a few week with my dad, then went to college when i barely just turned 18 into a program i only took because it was few things i have a interest in because i knew i could make a career of it, so i can strive to be like my brother who taking civil engineering at mcmaster a really expensive uni.. I live in canada, so if you never heard of it...don't worry about it. And It didn't work out for me, and now i'm couple grand in debt and living off tips working part time-joy.

I mainly watch the show for knowledge and i think it cute. I love learning about other types of living. I read books about Amish people, and if i could i would go and try and live like an amish person to see if i could do it, probably only last a week or two, but it be a great learning experience i think. And even though i think it horribly horribly wrong, i read about polygamy because i find it fasinating of how they think they can just do what they want.

I didn't even know families still had that many kids till i saw the documentry when jackson was born. I've been watching that long lol. The largest family I ever seen in my small town was a family of 7 i believe and to me that was big. I only found out recently that my grandmother was 1 of 10 children. My best friends grandmother had 17 children i believe, 2 sets of twins only 15 survived though.

So seeing a family was 16 and growing, caught my interest at first sure i was like okay their alittle weird. But just as i live my own life my own way, their allowed to live life, their own way as well.

I used to live in Hamilton McMaster is a really expensive university. lol

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I think the Duggar parents have the best interest of their children in mind and the kids seem really happy and well-adjusted. If the girls wanted to go to college, I am sure the parents would encourage them.

I agree that it is helpful to have a vision for your future before you go into college. I also dropped out because I had no idea what I was doing. I think it's pretty common. Later, I went to a trade school when I knew what I wanted to do.