+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 226 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115165 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3647649;
    I also still think there is a Duggar/Bates wedding in the future. The older kids are certainly getting to spend a lot of time getting to know each other. I really look forward to more Duggar weddings!
    I agree, I think they might be hinting at a John David/Erin hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3647649;
    What I like about the Duggar's is that they do not have an attitude of deserving fame and being pampered, they are still looking outside of themselves to help others. I would venture to say that Jim Bob may have worked a deal to get TLC to compensate the Bate's family for filming there, and that is helping fund the project. The Duggar's are not all about themselves. And, with that many people in their family, I think it would be easy to be focused on just getting through everyday lives..

I also still think there is a Duggar/Bates wedding in the future. The older kids are certainly getting to spend a lot of time getting to know each other. I really look forward to more Duggar weddings!
    I have to agree with you, I figure that the Bates would be getting some sort of compensation for appearing on the show, and I think it's good. It's also part of what Christianity teaches, in that it's not all about you and sure, it's nice to buy things, but you're supposed to help your fellow man.

I too agree that they are going to be pushing a Duggar and a Bates kid to end up getting married, as the Bates would truly become family to the Duggars.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

I don't tune in much, but what I've seen, I love. The Duggars seem to walk the talk and not in a preachy kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3648177;
    I don't tune in much, but what I've seen, I love. The Duggars seem to walk the talk and not in a preachy kind of way.
    That is what I believe makes them so likable.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3649472;
    That is what I believe makes them so likable.
    And keeps them from being criticized for exploiting their kids on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3653187;
    And keeps them from being criticized for exploiting their kids on a daily basis.
    I have to say, I do think there is exploitation involved here. I think they come across as good and kind people, but it doesn't mean they aren't exploiting the kids. I think you are right though, people tend to not criticize this family the way they do another "reality" family because they are more likable and well-behaved than the other family is.

I want to add that I've always had a problem with the way they make the older kids raise the younger ones. Those kids work hard, which is fine, but I hate to think that their lives are just a constant stream of babysitting and chores. Yes they travel via the show, but still... and I worry that JB does not seem to encourage further education beyond high school. Maybe some of the girls would rather have careers instead of becoming baby machines. They should be encouraged in that regard.

FORT Fanatic

I read about a year ago that Oprah offered to send two or three of the girls to midwife school, but they declined. I have no idea if this is true or why the girls declined.

I didn't see the point of taking all those small kids to the Bates home while they helped renovate the house. All the younger kids did was play in the dirt - they are kids. They should have kept the youngest ones home and out of the way. Of course, maybe Michelle could not have gone, then, and I'm sure she enjoyed spending time with Mrs. Bates.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I know what you mean about the older ones spending their lives taking care of the younger ones. I am not sure how I feel about it. My daughter was 11 when my son was born and she helped out (not in any way the way the Duggars do), and now she is 25 and is glad she experienced it. She says that it made her understand what it was like to have children,whereas her friends thought babies were cute little toys. I think it's a great form of birth control!
    But, of course, the Duggars are of a totally different philosophy. I think it would be sad for them to go from raising their mom's babies to raising their own, with never having the chance to be autonomous.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3655466;
    I know what you mean about the older ones spending their lives taking care of the younger ones. I am not sure how I feel about it. My daughter was 11 when my son was born and she helped out (not in any way the way the Duggars do), and now she is 25 and is glad she experienced it. She says that it made her understand what it was like to have children,whereas her friends thought babies were cute little toys. I think it's a great form of birth control!
    But, of course, the Duggars are of a totally different philosophy. I think it would be sad for them to go from raising their mom's babies to raising their own, with never having the chance to be autonomous.
    Maybe it is a good way of showing the kids just what is involved in having babies. Lets face it, we let our kids be kids... we let them have fun stuff, be carefree and yet teens are out there having babies way too young. I see young girls 15, 16, come into where I work with infants, sometimes 2 kids.... So who really is to say who is right?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Good point, libgirl.

Also when the older ones spend time with the younger ones, they are gaining ALOT. They are gaining the respect of the younger children, they are gaining friends & family FOR LIFE. There is such a huge age difference, that 20+ years down the line they will still be close and have that family connection. Trust me, it's very important as you get older.

If I had a sibling 15 years older than me, raised the same way, I would have NOTHING in common with them. EVen as I got older, so would they. We would be at two different places in our lives.

This way, they will always be involved with one another.

+ Reply to Thread