+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 229 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162 ... LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

MRD

Re: The Duggar Family

There is also one "approved" method of birth control in the Catholic Church and that is the rhythm method. Doesn't always work, but it is there. The Duggars it sounds like don't even believe in that.

As for college, there are several choices that would go with their religion. Where I live, we have Bob Jones University. The women are required to wear modest dresses on campus, no make up, etc. They have a LOT of rules and it is very religious based. However, they also are apparantly a fairly decent college education wise. And have good fine arts, English and journalism programs. There are plenty of religious schools, they could choose to send their children too.

I see a lot of BJU graduates who look a lot like the Duggars and have a lot of children, etc., so it seems that there are very similarly held views.

But I think they should encourage the kids to get a higher education. BJU also promotes homeschooling as they publish a lot of homeschool curiculum for use all over the country. Knowing that, I am assuming that they get a lot of homeschooled kids at the university.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-26-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Regular

The Catholic-approved method of "birth control" is no longer the rythm method, which doesn't work. It is Natural Family Planning, which is a kind of fertility awareness, which is extremely effective. That being said, there are some Catholics who do not even believe in this, and I agree that the Duggars seem to be of that mindset.

Quiverfull, on the other hand, I think, believes in having as many children as possible. Some take this to extremes like early weaning from breastfeeding in order to speed up the return of postpartum fertility. I don't see the Duggars doing this, either. More of a "take them as they come" mindset then "have as many as we can."

My understanding of the original comparison to Catholicism was just as far as birth control is concerned, though, and not in other areas.

It's possible, though, that the Duggars' lifestyle is as much their interpretation of their religion as it is a bunch of official requirements.

And, by the way, I love love love the show. Jim Bob and Michelle seem to be such gentle parents and I have a lot of respect for them.
    Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

Lovin' TAR, AI, DWTS, & TC!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I have been reading the Duggar's book and they talk about the birth control issue. They abstain for a certain amount of time, like from the Levitical laws, and she has become pregnant while nursing her children.

I thought I just loved this family from their show, but as I have read the book, my respect and love for this family has grown like crazy. They are so loving and kind, and you can tell it is real. Also, their life story is pretty amazing. A few interesting tidbits: Jim Bob grew up in poverty, Michelle was a beautiful teenager and a cheerleader, Jim Bob was once robbed with a gun to his head and was tied up in his garage while Michelle was asleep in the back bedroom, they have owned many businesses and really struggled to get financially independent - very inspirational to me (in debt, of course).

They actually showed a picture on the rollerskating episode of Michelle when she was a cheerleader-I think it may have been a senior picture-and I was surprised that she let that go through because it showed off leg-plus a bit of skin above the knee!

As far as the getting pregnant while nursing, that is very possible-we know from watching the later episodes that Michelle is still nursing the youngest (after over 7 months) and there have been gaps of about a year between some of the kids.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by analisa_roche;3615155;
    The Catholic-approved method of "birth control" is no longer the rythm method, which doesn't work. It is Natural Family Planning, which is a kind of fertility awareness, which is extremely effective. That being said, there are some Catholics who do not even believe in this, and I agree that the Duggars seem to be of that mindset.

Quiverfull, on the other hand, I think, believes in having as many children as possible. Some take this to extremes like early weaning from breastfeeding in order to speed up the return of postpartum fertility. I don't see the Duggars doing this, either. More of a "take them as they come" mindset then "have as many as we can."

My understanding of the original comparison to Catholicism was just as far as birth control is concerned, though, and not in other areas.
    Yes, analisa, I only meant a comparison in birth control methods. I'm not and never was Catholic, so thank you for clarifying the approved method.

FoRT Fan

I wonder if Jon and Kate have ever watched the Duggar family ?? What a difference in parenting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by wings0nline;3621002;
    I wonder if Jon and Kate have ever watched the Duggar family ?? What a difference in parenting skills.
    I so agree to that.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

J&K's priorities seem to have gone so out of whack, they probably couldn't even see the value of the Duggar's way of life & parenting if they looked.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by wings0nline;3621002;
    i am going to second that but that was taken so ill third that. Maybe Jon and Kate can learn a few things.
    If I were sand and you were oceans,
    The moon would be why you're pulled to me.

I definitely have to agree with you there.

One interesting thing I noticed is that episodes are not being aired in chronological order-several weeks back, they aired the episode where Josh/Anna found out the gender of their baby, and the Duggars were at the Bates house-well that was in June, and this episode took place around Mum's Day. Doesn't matter as much, but still. Also, it looks like Michelle may be going for a similar hairstyle to that of her daughters, as in an interview she didn't have the big poofy hair, and she had the sort of sideswept bangs that the other girls have.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

+ Reply to Thread