+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 239 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

There are a lot of girls who do indeed have longer hair, but for them, it's more of a choice-whereas for the Duggars, it's expected that they will keep their hair long. I have to agree about Michelle though-but then again, she has never really been the type to do anything with the hair. It's way better than when they first started filming though.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

If we look at the average family in the mainstream there are choice limitations for their children as well, at least in the majority of families. Parents micromanage what they let their kids wear, how they wear it, how they do their hair etc. It just seems more pronounced with this family because they are out of the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3601062;
    If we look at the average family in the mainstream there are choice limitations for their children as well, at least in the majority of families. Parents micromanage what they let their kids wear, how they wear it, how they do their hair etc. It just seems more pronounced with this family because they are out of the mainstream.
    Good point. My son is too young to work, I buy the clothes. I refuse to by supper baggy jeans. Kids come into work with them on, buts hanging out (one time I thought something else was sticking out on one guy!!), I have seen enough underwear! If my kid wants those he can buy them himself. And I was buying him Pink Floyd t's before he knew who they were.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My mom wouldn't let me dye my hair blue until I was 15. Or get my ears pierced until I was 10.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3599540;
    There are a lot of girls who do indeed have longer hair, but for them, it's more of a choice-whereas for the Duggars, it's expected that they will keep their hair long. I have to agree about Michelle though-but then again, she has never really been the type to do anything with the hair. It's way better than when they first started filming though.
    I agree that Michelle's look has really improved since the show started. Remember that horrible bright red lipstick she used to wear? It was sooo awful. She now seems to wear a very natural make-up palatte.

I'm not talking makeup, I'm talking more about the hair and everything.

Going back to the hair, yes, parents do decide what the kids wear and everything. libgirl, I commend you for not buying baggy pants for your son. My brother (who is 18) has never been into that sort of look-he likes his jeans to sit up where they should sit, not so low that you can see the bottom hem of the boxers. Granted, he isn't the type to tuck his shirt in (unless it's a dress shirt) but I think that if more boys took dressing cues from the Duggars the world would be a better place. Not to mention clean cut=hot. I was never allowed to do the wild hair colours, and frayed/holey jeans? Forget it. I'm so glad I never did those though.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3601062;
    Good point, causing chaos. I didn't look at it that way, but you're correct.

I never really challenged anything my kids wore, as long as it wasn't obscene or unhealthy (i.e. wearing no coat & short sleeve t-shirts in the middle of winter). My son, however, never was interested in the baggy pants.

The only thing I have challenged my daughter on is her hair. She has such beautiful, thick, golden blonde hair & she dyed it chestnut! But she's over 21, so nothing mom can do but moan about it.

I watched the dentist episode last night and another one I can't think of, but my opinion is that this is one great family and it was posted once before: There isn't a bad looking Duggar, they are either cute, handsome, or pretty.

I like watching them. Oh yeah I saw the St. Patricks episode where Jim Bob said they're gonna have green poop and Michelle was laughing that "you can't put that in the show....."

Yeah, it seems to me that they really aren't very different, other than their conservative values. They don't seem to follow the Quiverful teachings that much other than to do away with any type of birth control. But how different is that from Roman Catholicism?

There are plenty of differences. The Duggars are no dancing, no singing of non-religious songs, no alcohol, no secular books/movies and all that sort of thing. There may be some Roman Catholics who are like that, but the Catholic church does use wine for communion. Also I don't know when the Duggar kids are baptized, but Catholics baptize babies, and then adults who decide to convert to the church later in life. Typically the Baptist churches baptize when the kids are in their teenage years. (For the Catholics, like it is with us Lutherans, we have a thing called Confirmation which you do in your teenage years that is like an affirmation of baptism) Also there aren't the restrictions on looks. Some families may teach skirts and long hair, but girls can wear pants. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Of course there are differences as far as the doctrines go-the Catholics pray the rosary (which confuses many of us Lutherans, and some Catholics even) and the crucifix is a very prominent symbol.

+ Reply to Thread