+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 260 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3481280;
    I guess with 18 kids, that she also homeschools, she has the permanent "teacher" voice on!
    I remember the children's ministry leader at our church drove me absolutely crazy when she talked to me because she talked to me like I was 5 years old! Come on lady, get a "big person voice!"
    I like how sweet and gently Michelle talks to her children though. I can't see her yelling!
    I know I would have yelled by now and I am not a yeller! But they are all fairly well behaved kids, rambunctious at times, but well behaved.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I haven't really noticed the older girls speaking that way.

I haven't, at least yet.

Last night was interesting, if for no other reason because it was all about the schooling-something that has been covered a lot less. I like how they said they didn't resent paying taxes to fund the public schools, because it was paying back for what they got. I also think it's good that Jim Bob and Michelle will support their kids career plans...but I'm not surprised that many of the guys want to be missionaries.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fanatic

I don't know how Michelle Duggar can stand being a full-time mom AND home-schooling all those kids. Yikes. Maybe she's strung out on Valium (joke). Several of those younger kids sure tested her limit, but she was very patient, especially with one of the young boys who resisted going upstairs to get a workbook and a very young girl who kept interrupting.

Wonder if Dad ever does any of the home-schooling? In their book (which I enjoyed reading), it said their family doesn't like to get up early. I always thought little kids were up at the crack of dawn.

I noticed Dad was still in bed and Michelle was fully dressed and up with the baby the morning some of the family visited a public school.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I think the dad was still in bed because the family doesn't get up that early and he wasn't going.

I love their attitude about paying taxes! Our school taxes are outrageously high, and my teen boys will mention that it's wrong, since we homeschool, but I remind them that we need good public schools for the sake of our country's future. It is crucial to have good education available to everyone. Besides, single people have to pay school taxes, along with retired, childless, or those who are also paying for private school.

I noticed that the Duggars are no longer doing the Bill Gothard school curriculum. Switched on Schoolhouse (what the older kids are using on the computers) is a lot more mainstream, although still Christian. I also noticed that one of the girls was playing a contemporary Christian song on the piano. That is also a little bit of a breakaway from the Gothard's teaching. He says only hymns. Maybe they are coming out of the legalism a bit.

Half of my property taxes go toward our public school system. It's really high and I have no children which means I don't get to have a voice about it.

Around here the home schooled kids are allowed to use the school facilities etc. So when they pay taxes they still have access to that stuff. I remember having to advocate for a homeschooling mom a couple years ago who was being barred from accessing something at the local public school where she was. It wasn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3481537;
    I haven't, at least yet.

Last night was interesting, if for no other reason because it was all about the schooling-something that has been covered a lot less. I like how they said they didn't resent paying taxes to fund the public schools, because it was paying back for what they got. I also think it's good that Jim Bob and Michelle will support their kids career plans...but I'm not surprised that many of the guys want to be missionaries.

I was glad to hear them say that, as I hear some home school parents complain about the taxes. By opening up facilities etc... to these kids, one can say "that you are using it too".

Well not only that, but they recognize that there are other views than their own and that not everyone can homeschool. I do feel like they are giving the best answers they can in order to avoid sounding TOO preachy, but it's good that they realize that public schools do have a place in society. But yeah, the taxes, while high, are absolutely necessary. Our district has kids coming in from both south and north of the boundaries because our schools are better than other ones in the area. There is also a home school exchange, where families that home school can get together and share techniques, do trips, and so forth-as well as for older kids, take part in the athletic programs and take classes. I know that some kids from the private Christian school that is in the city do sports at my school, as it is a 4A school for athletics, which means largest category (1300+ kids).

As for Michelle handling it all, that's why they have the buddy system-the older kids are expected to help a LOT in helping to raise the kids. Sure, Michelle is the one with the little kids, and there are a lot of them, but it helps that the older kids are doing the SOS, and probably the girls who have taken the GED test will help Michelle out with schooling the youngest of the kids.

And for Jinger playing "Lord I Lift Your Name On High"? In my church, that's actually a song we sing in service. I think it would be okay because while it is contemporary, it is as much as worship song as you get. I think it would be culture-shock if they ever worshipped at my church, because we have a praise band, a very friendly, charismatic pastor, and, wait for it...liturgical dance.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Saw the girls getting out their wisdom teeth last night. Poor Jill was so scared! The way she had a death grip on her father's hand and was crying. I see alot of love going on there with ALL of them. Love and Respect. I also notice the cameras not lingering as much on the younger children and seemingly focusing on the older ones or the parents.

I think it's because there is always a lot more with the older ones-driving tests, getting wisdom teeth out, and so forth. I mean, I kind of expect a focus to be on Jim Bob and Michelle, but it's also kind of a given that the older girls are going to have a bit of a focus because they're more able to effectively chime in on certain topics (Jinger especially, who has the wit of the bunch). The kids are good, but they may not understand certain things.

Next episode, from Yahoo TV, says that they go to a homeschool conference. THAT should be interesting-I feel it's delving a lot more into what makes the family who they are.

+ Reply to Thread