+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 229 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I was always told to never wear a hat in church, that wearing a hat was rude-but in some places, you're expected to wear a hat!
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Women could and always did wear a hat in public...ok before my time, but my mother did. But I remember her wearing a hat to church, on Easter we always received a new Easter bonnet. I was in Louisville the week before the Churchill Downs and the cheapest hat I saw was $500.00 I had to pass on it. Was too simple
    There's no place like home!

I mean I've seen people wearing hats, but I guess it's just my church-I have only ever seen hats being worn by the younger girls. We are Lutherans though (one of the more progressive denominations) and so it's very common to see people well, not so dressed up-many teenagers attend in sweats and a lot of people of all ages attend in jeans. It could be very regional though. I personally love hats however Seattle is not a hat city-we're more of beanies, baseball hats, and hoods. Gotta love the rain.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Interesting conversation...
    I live in Texas and male chivalry is alive and well here! A man is expected to open doors for a lady and behave in a gentlemanly way. I taught my boys to be like that, but out of respect for women, not superiority. The portrayal of Josh and Anna seems to be of him being in control of her and her having no say.
    As for the hat thing; there is a place in the bible that tells women not to go into church without their head covered (1st Corinthians, chapter 11). It is taken in different ways in different churches and denominations. When I was a little girl, my grandmother took me to her Catholic church and she would bobbypin a lace handkerchief to my head. I liked that! (Plus she filled her purse with gumballs or hard candy to hand to me during the service. I also remember sitting on those padded kneelers.) We go to a very contemporary Baptist church now. Most of the younger people wear jeans, but the older people still dress up in dresses and suits. I don't see many hats, except the older ladies who are in the Red Hat Society.

Oh yes, I remember that Bible verse. Hats aren't really that big in Seattle in general, and a lot of people don't wear them in service because us Lutherans can be on the shorter end. What we do to keep the kids enticed is we have busy bags, with colouring pages and soft toys. They started doing them just after I was too old for them, and it's a definite lifesaver. Sure, some kids act up, but it's a very lively church. One of the key points is that it is truly "come as you are". I mean, we don't want you dressing like a hooker, but at the same time, the only thing that matters is that you believe, and thus we have always had open communion. I do chalk the hat thing up though to part of being in the Lutheran church-we are more progressive to say the least.

As for dressing up, a lot of people don't but you'll find that many of the adults at least wear a nice shirt and pants, and some of the teenagers will at least wear something nice. The nice thing is that there are some families where the mom or dad says "No jeans at church".

FORT Fanatic

I grew up Catholic in the 1950s and 1960s. A girl and woman absolutely had to wear a hat in church. Once I went to church with only my dad for some reason. I had forgotten my hat. I sat at the back and wondered if I would be struck by lighting or something. In an emergency, you could put a kleenex on your head and use bobby pins to fasten it. How silly. I don't really think God cares if we wear hats or not.

They used to quote from the Gospel of St. Paul to the Ephesians, I think, explaining why women had to have their heads covered.

FORT Fanatic

I got Michelle Duggar's book out of the library, and I'm enjoying it. I don't agree with some of their philosophies, but I do respect their hard work and the LOVE that Michelle and Jim Bob obviously have for each other and for their children.

They made most of their money by hard work and saavy real estate buying and selling. Jim Bob was a state senator for several years and made an unsuccessful run for the Senate. He felt that's what God wanted him to do and even though they spent about $100,000 of their own money in the campaign, they don't regret it. They had photos of the entire clan on his campaign literature and eventually that led to TLC hearing about them and inviting them to appear on their network.

Jim Bob says that whenever he fails to consult Michelle or pray for guidance, he ends up makes bad decisions.

Their oldest son who is now married finish being home-schooled at the age of 16 and then passed the GED test.

And tomorrow they go to the dentist...

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3468666;
    And tomorrow they go to the dentist...
    Oy! And the bill that must be!

My sister, mom, and I are going with a cousin to see the Duggar family here next week. I hope that some of my misconceptions can be erased with this family as I really do want to like them. They are definitely more grounded than the "other family" we all know on TLC.

And get this: the next new episode after the dentist, they go to see a public school. That's going to be fun, going to see the Duggars. Tell us your honest opinions of all of them!

+ Reply to Thread