+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 259 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by moosemommy1213;3223678;
    I think the super duper Christian beliefs came after the miscarriage. They were Christian before but adopted the fundie lifestyle afterwards. I think regular Christians use the pill without a problem all the time. I'm a former pill popping non-practicing Catholic and didn't feel guilty. If I go to Hades it will be for worse stuff than being on the pill for a bit.
    That would make more sense because Jim-Bob's father only has two sons and their cousin Amy is not fundamentalist.

In fact, I was a little offended at one of the Duggar girl's condenscending attitude toward Amy. Saying that they love her anyway. It was in the way she said it. I think it might've been Jill. (Jana & the babies are the only girls I can tell apart.)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3223970;
    They're just plain old Southern Baptists. They came up with all the other stuff on their own. I admit that I tend to believe more like the Duggars in this respect but since I don't want a bunch of kids I plan on having 2-4 (still undecided) and then get my tubes tied after that. If I ever get married that is. As far as the girls' clothing is concerned, I don't think they're trying to teach their girls to be subservient to men (a common misconception to Christianity. The Bible does NOT teach this at all!). I just think it's about modesty. And it's probably a lot easier and less costly (which is probably more likely the reason).
    Quiverfull is a movement among conservative evangelical Protestant Christian couples where the wife and rest of the family live under the authority of the husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3224050;
    Quiverfull is a movement among conservative evangelical Protestant Christian couples where the wife and rest of the family live under the authority of the husband.
    And bear many children.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3224048;
    That would make more sense because Jim-Bob's father only has two sons and their cousin Amy is not fundamentalist.

In fact, I was a little offended at one of the Duggar girl's condenscending attitude toward Amy. Saying that they love her anyway. It was in the way she said it. I think it might've been Jill. (Jana & the babies are the only girls I can tell apart.)
    Everyone has a cousin Amy. A person who doesn't have your beliefs but you can' t help but love. I had no problem with that statement.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3224077;
    And bear many children.
    Yes. That too.

FORT Fanatic

I get a kick out of cousin Amy. She is a nice change-of-pace. Regardless of what Mrs. Duggar said last night, I feel like they DO believe that women should be subservient to men.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3224345;
    Everyone has a cousin Amy. A person who doesn't have your beliefs but you can' t help but love. I had no problem with that statement.
    It wasn't the statement. It was the way she said it. Very condenscending, but she probably didn't realize it.

The statement didn't really seem to come across just as a statement. I cannot think of a better word than condensending
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3224050;
    I've never heard of Quiverfull but what I stated was that Chistianity and the Bible (in general) does not teach that women are subservient to men. That's not to say that there are not Christian religions that add they're own weird ideas into it. For instance, there's a Christian church somewhere in the midwest, I don't remember where but I saw an episode of Tyra where she actually had these church members on her show, that actually has based their entire belief structure on the idea that God hates Gays. They actually have a website (forgive me mods if this is not allowed) called godhatesgays.com. The lady on the show and all of her children, INCLUDING her 18 month old baby were actually wearing t-shirts with that website address on it. I was horrified because that is the last thing the Bible teaches. By the way, I personally have not decided what I believe about what God really feels about homosexuality because I do believe that some of the scriptures that address it are misinterpreted but I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that I believe God does not hate homosexuals and he didn't create women to be subservient to men. However, I do beliieve that a man is responsible for the protection and well being of his wife and children and should be the head of the household. That's the way that I was raised but my Dad as NEVER ruled my Mother and respects and values her opinion and mind and allows her to be who she is just as she respects him and allows him to be who he is.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

westboro baptist church ... a bunch of whackos that are not affiliated with any mainstream denomination (even though they call themselves baptist). i think 90% of their 'church' is their own family.

they even protest funerals of service men and women, too ... can you believe it?

+ Reply to Thread