+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 252 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree448Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

People probably found it to be "sweet" because they were oh-so-innocent.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i found it to be CLINGY.
    even the handholding before they were married didn't look right ... it looked forced. who walks together with their hands level with their waist? unless they want to make sure the camera catches that they're holding hands. even when they were at the courthouse signing the forms to get married, they had to let go for a moment so they could write, and they immediately grabbed the other hand.

clingy.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I thought the hand-holding thing was a little strange, but then I started thinking about how much physical touch you yearn for with the one you love in that courtship phase. Hand-holding was all they had, so I am guessing that it was a pretty awesome thing to them. I kind of saw it like "footsie" that young lovers play.
    About last night's episode, I thought they handled the whole thing in a really nice way. It was good to see a balance between mourning and hope. I was at a good friend's funeral a couple of years ago, and we are all Christians, and a lady sitting behind me was laughing and saying she was jealous of him getting to be in heaven and that he was happier than us. I was crying. It really bothered me that she had no respect for his widow, a young woman (and a good friend of mine), and his children who were all devastated by the loss. It's not like they had no faith that he was going to heaven, they were just so sad to lose him here on earth. It's ok to cry over death when you are a Christian, and the Duggars portrayed that beautifully. The seem to be so honest and open with their lives.

I knew a couple that had the same beliefs as the Duggars and their first kiss was at their wedding. Believe me, they hold hands like that! I didn't know that they hadn't kissed before the wedding so I was really surprised when their pastor announced it was their first kiss ever. I always wondered why they were so goofy with their hand holding!

what did everyone think of the last episode, with Josh & Anna's honeymoon? My daughter commented on Anna's bathing suit. I have seen that before, there was even a link on the Duggar site for a while on "modest swimwear". It is really hideously ugly, but modest! I also believe in modesty with swimwear, but I wear shorts and a t-shirt! It is actually less conspicuous than that suit.

The shorts would definitely go against their teachings though...so it's the jumper and shirt underneath. It was UGLY though. I mean I'm a Christian but I definitely don't do the modesty. (I'm part of a much-less rigid denomination though) There could have been way cuter ways to go about it, but then the swimsuits are going to be pricier since not everywhere sells the modest swimwear, and her family wasn't exactly that well off.

As far as the episode, I think it was done fairly tastefully-showing them on the boat tour, the parasailing, the aquarium and steak dinner, and so forth. I think it was kind of a necessary episode although I kind of wished they had done one showing the whole moving process and THEN they could have had the dinner in that episode-they were trying to cram a lot into 30 minutes. It was good that they went to the carlot. I'm kinda surprised they didn't really already, but hey, he can sell an honest used car. I'm sure that the show may be giving a little bit of free publicity, and the fact that you have a crane holding a Jeep in the air...that's going to attract more people than tacky inflatables.

Next week's episode has Josh and Anna going on double-dates with Amy and her new boyfriend-and they can't kiss on the date and the BF is kinda not so thrilled.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3442428;
    The shorts would definitely go against their teachings though...so it's the jumper and shirt underneath. It was UGLY though. I mean I'm a Christian but I definitely don't do the modesty. (I'm part of a much-less rigid denomination though) There could have been way cuter ways to go about it, but then the swimsuits are going to be pricier since not everywhere sells the modest swimwear, and her family wasn't exactly that well off.

As far as the episode, I think it was done fairly tastefully-showing them on the boat tour, the parasailing, the aquarium and steak dinner, and so forth. I think it was kind of a necessary episode although I kind of wished they had done one showing the whole moving process and THEN they could have had the dinner in that episode-they were trying to cram a lot into 30 minutes. It was good that they went to the carlot. I'm kinda surprised they didn't really already, but hey, he can sell an honest used car. I'm sure that the show may be giving a little bit of free publicity, and the fact that you have a crane holding a Jeep in the air...that's going to attract more people than tacky inflatables.

Next week's episode has Josh and Anna going on double-dates with Amy and her new boyfriend-and they can't kiss on the date and the BF is kinda not so thrilled.
    Yeah, I have always wondered about cousin Amy. I wonder if she is a Christian or not. Personally, I think the Duggars could be either a really good witness (I like them), or a really bad one because of how restrictive their lifestyle is.

I wouldn't know the answer to that one. My money is on yes, she is, but definitely not Baptist, let alone many of the other more rigid denominations/belief systems. (I'd love it if she was Lutheran, being one myself...)

When it comes to witness, the thing that the Duggars have going for AND against them is the same: they are very sheltered from "bad" influences and they don't have a whole lot of the street smarts. In some areas, that can be a good thing, but I honestly think it's more effective to have people who live more normal lives who don't avoid the "bad" influences (they may have a drink or two, they may listen to non-Christian music...basically everyday people who are willing to share their beliefs), because they are more equipped to deal with what really happens in real life. I was involved in Younglife all through middle and high school (a non-denominational Christian youth group that is unofficially affiliated with schools) and the leaders were normal people-they liked rock and rap music, some smoked, some enjoyed the occasional alcoholic beverage-but they all shared a passion for their beliefs, and when they witnessed to us it was in a much more non-threatening way that opened room for questions from people who may not have already had church affiliation, while allowing those of us in the church already to hear other people's faith testimonials. The other thing that would scare me about a Duggar witnessing to me (no offense) would be the fact that I already have my beliefs and they would be saying that mine are not rigid enough. In reality, we believe in the same God, we just have different ways of showing it.
    Last edited by Trista; 05-11-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3442323;
    what did everyone think of the last episode, with Josh & Anna's honeymoon? My daughter commented on Anna's bathing suit. I have seen that before, there was even a link on the Duggar site for a while on "modest swimwear". It is really hideously ugly, but modest! I also believe in modesty with swimwear, but I wear shorts and a t-shirt! It is actually less conspicuous than that suit.
    I did see a website, that wasn't on their list, that had modest swimwear, and I thought some of it was quite lovely. Bright and colorful, flower patterns. I looked over their link and thought yuck!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I had never heard of "modest" swim wear prior to reading about it in this thread. I googled it and I couldn't believe my eyes! How do they swim in these things?

http://www.modestswimwearsolutions.com/

+ Reply to Thread