+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 260 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

In fact, on the TLC website Jim Bob and Michelle had their 10 secrets to marriage, and the top one? "Be fruitful and multiply".

That says it all. Of course, that is to be expected with all of them being the Quiverfull adherents, but still.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3414932;
    That goes back to the episode where they were talking about how they save money (buying used shoes, making their own laundry soap, the girls perming their own hair, the wood-fired heating) and Michelle said "I don't know how people can live WITH debt!" The house was already in the family, and they probably had some help with things like furniture and so forth-they had 300 guests at their wedding if I am not mistaken. Still though, running the car lot is definitely a good thing for them (Josh and John David) to do, and if I was ever in the market for a car I'd go there since I know I would get an honest car.

Similar thing with the Bates family-all the older men do the tree business. Gil said last night how his dad said before he went off to college and such, he needed skills.
    Uhm, the elder Duggars were living off the largesse of their local church and neighbors until they got underwritten by TLC. Their commercial properties covered nothing before (and likely even less now). I'm sorry, but Michelle might never have been in debt, but that wasn't because she shouldn't have been (by all normal rights), it was because other people saved her from such a fate.

I don't mind that they are on a gravy train here, courtesy of TLC. But, it's sort of silly to pretend that's not what's saving them from having a world of hurt along with 18 kids.

BTW, I know someone who lives close to them, and knows them. Says they are very nice and kind people.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

No, I know exactly, because I have seen all the earlier specials (what can I say, way too much free time) and they definitely were nowhere near where they are now-they didn't have the clothes or the toys (and they only had a couple vehicles), so yes, TLC has definitely helped them out big-time-which is one reason I think why they agreed to do the show the way it is now, with the episodes that air every other week. I don't want to sound completely lacking of knowledge...I just call it like I've seen it. The first time they had ever been on a plane was for the special where they went on the road trip. I definitely know that they weren't coming from the best background, you can say that much.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm glad they are doing better, financially, because of TLC. The children didn't ask to be born into a giant family, I'm glad they don't have to suffer with poverty because of their parents' choice.

No, I know exactly, because I have seen all the earlier specials (what can I say, way too much free time) and they definitely were nowhere near where they are now-they didn't have the clothes or the toys (and they only had a couple vehicles), so yes, TLC has definitely helped them out big-time-which is one reason I think why they agreed to do the show the way it is now, with the episodes that air every other week. I don't want to sound completely lacking of knowledge...I just call it like I've seen it. The first time they had ever been on a plane was for the special where they went on the road trip. I definitely know that they weren't coming from the best background, you can say that much.
    But at least they're using the financial benefit for the betterment of themselves & others (i.e. going on speaking tours that they actually believe in).

Unlike some other money-grabbers who are in it for the big houses, the free vacations, and the free cosmetics. And this doesn't even include that disgusting free-loader with 14 kids under 6.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I honestly don't know what is wrong with taking the money that you are given for having your life filmed and shown on National TV and using it for yourself. I would be going on every vacation offered...getting every surgery offered (in needed) and livin' it up. I see nothing wrong with what the Duggars do and what any other TLC family does.

There is quite a difference in the TLC families and Octomom, imo.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3416740;
    I honestly don't know what is wrong with taking the money that you are given for having your life filmed and shown on National TV and using it for yourself. I would be going on every vacation offered...getting every surgery offered (in needed) and livin' it up. I see nothing wrong with what the Duggars do and what any other TLC family does.

There is quite a difference in the TLC families and Octomom, imo.
    I completely agree with you JJ. Especially the bolded part!
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

I think there is a big difference from being paid & getting trips or educational events because your family is being filmed, and taking free cosmetic treatments & other non-essential freebies.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Right. The difference being that they are gifts. I'm just saying....I'd take the gifts. I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people enjoy giving to others...there is nothing wrong with accepting something someone is happy to give to you.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3419556;
    Right. The difference being that they are gifts. I'm just saying....I'd take the gifts. I don't see anything wrong with it. Some people enjoy giving to others...there is nothing wrong with accepting something someone is happy to give to you.
    Sure, a gift is a gift and it gives great joy to those giving the gift but at what cost? The gifts that are being offered are in exchange for advertisement.
    When an adult makes the choice to go on television and have their secrets and lives revealed for the world to see, it is their choice to do so. When the parents who are responsible for protecting their children make the decision to expose their chidlren's secrets and private time for the world to see for the benefit of payment in the form of cash, vacations, cosmetic surgery...etc....that is called child exploitation.
    Let's face it the Duggars would not have a show if it were not for their 18 children, Octomom would not have an upcoming reality show if she didn't have 14 children, 8 of which are octuplets. Octomom is using her children for financial stability...sure I don't blame her after seeing what a mess she was in but what would people say if she suddenly had a tummy tuck or teeth whitening on her show? Wouldn't they call that child exploitation?

+ Reply to Thread