+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 234 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

don't have a Duggar comment, but just wanted to say, stacerace, that is a lovely story - thanks for sharing
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3410020;
    don't have a Duggar comment, but just wanted to say, stacerace, that is a lovely story - thanks for sharing
    No problem. My family has never subscribed to the adage that "children should be seen and not heard" and it has been to my benefit. When we would have family gatherings my cousins would always want to go in the other room and watch TV or play with toys while my sister and I much preferred to stay and listen to the adult conversations and we also respected and enjoyed listing to the older members of our families. It's amazing what you can learn from someone if you just listen to them. I think some kids don't understand that and think that old people are not worth their time and I think that's sad because they miss out on a lot.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Thank You for sharing that story about your relatives. Made me feel all warm.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410087;
    No problem. My family has never subscribed to the adage that "children should be seen and not heard" and it has been to my benefit. When we would have family gatherings my cousins would always want to go in the other room and watch TV or play with toys while my sister and I much preferred to stay and listen to the adult conversations and we also respected and enjoyed listing to the older members of our families. It's amazing what you can learn from someone if you just listen to them. I think some kids don't understand that and think that old people are not worth their time and I think that's sad because they miss out on a lot.

Same here, I was 90% of the time with the adults just listening to them talk, and believe me it was fascinating most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410005;
    But according to that site they had actually met a couple of years before and I thought they had said on the show that they had corresponded with each other during that time. When my 2 great uncles were fighting in WWI one of them was married to my aunt and the other one (he was kind of shy and had never dated) asked him if his wife had a sister that would write to him because he was lonely. My great aunt wrote to him everyday and they fell in love through letters even though they had never met or even seen pictures of each other and my uncle proposed through the letters and when he came home they got married. They were married for over 60 years (not exactly sure of the exact number of years) until my aunt passed away in the nursing home and he passed away about a month later just because he missed her. You don't necessarily have to be with someone physically to get to know who they are and to fall in love with them.

BTW: My Uncle Kaye was always full of wonderful stories and he was such an interesting person and lived a full and interesting life. But this story is the one that I enjoyed hearing him tell the most. It was romantic and sweet. My Uncle Kaye and My Aunt Fayola were not attractive people (pretty homely actually) and neither thought they would ever find anyone but they found each other in probably the most romantic way. They were so in love, even when they were in their 90's.
    I have to ask if Uncle Kaye and Aunt Fayola had children and if so, where they also "homely"? I once worked with an "Aunt Fayola" and when they had their only child she was just beautiful. She was in several beauty contests and won more often than not.

As far as I can tell, Michelle and Jim Bob don't have a homely kid in the bunch. That's kind of unusual for a brood that size, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3410162;
    I have to ask if Uncle Kaye and Aunt Fayola had children and if so, where they also "homely"? I once worked with an "Aunt Fayola" and when they had their only child she was just beautiful. She was in several beauty contests and won more often than not.

As far as I can tell, Michelle and Jim Bob don't have a homely kid in the bunch. That's kind of unusual for a brood that size, isn't it?
    Well, Jim Bob and Michelle are both attractive people. There's not one of those kids that doesn't look EXACTLY like Jim Bob They have a little Michelle in them too but they all really look like their Dad.

Uncle Kaye and Aunt Fayola's daughter Linda isn't beautiful but she's cute and she and my mom are really close. Her daughter is kind of plain (she and I are the same age and we had a lot of fun together when we were kids) and her 2 sons would be totally hot if they weren't my cousins (because otherwise that would just be gross!)
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

Am I dreaming I saw the other night a Promo for the Duggars being on the today show with an announcement. When I saw it I remember thinking either Michelle is pregger again or her an Anna both are pregnant. Egads
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yep, it's probably Anna announcing that she is pregnant. I doubt that Michelle would be pregnant again so soon especially since she just had baby Jordyn in December. It's probably also being done so that the news can get out before the episode airs, as all big Duggar news is broken on the Today show (except the name for baby Jordyn).

When it comes to the family gatherings, we don't really do them anymore. We did all the time with my dad's parents (because they lived a mile and a half from us-and my brother and I would ride our bikes over there during the summer when we were little) but they both died within a year of each other. We don't really with my mum's anymore-the only time we really would see each other was Christmas, and the last time we met up...the combination of condescending attitudes and complete lack of personality (the fact that I have a nose stud, a subtle one at that, was a "Quelle horreur!" moment) means we aren't going to be doing much with them anymore-weddings and funerals, that's it. My dad never liked them and so he never went along-and my mum is going to try and do stuff with her mum, but as far as her siblings go...yeah.

Oh, the episode a week from Tuesday basically says on Yahoo that Grandpa Duggar passes on
    Last edited by Trista; 04-11-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Future episode
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410005;
    But according to that site they had actually met a couple of years before and I thought they had said on the show that they had corresponded with each other during that time. When my 2 great uncles were fighting in WWI one of them was married to my aunt and the other one (he was kind of shy and had never dated) asked him if his wife had a sister that would write to him because he was lonely. My great aunt wrote to him everyday and they fell in love through letters even though they had never met or even seen pictures of each other and my uncle proposed through the letters and when he came home they got married. They were married for over 60 years (not exactly sure of the exact number of years) until my aunt passed away in the nursing home and he passed away about a month later just because he missed her. You don't necessarily have to be with someone physically to get to know who they are and to fall in love with them.

BTW: My Uncle Kaye was always full of wonderful stories and he was such an interesting person and lived a full and interesting life. But this story is the one that I enjoyed hearing him tell the most. It was romantic and sweet. My Uncle Kaye and My Aunt Fayola were not attractive people (pretty homely actually) and neither thought they would ever find anyone but they found each other in probably the most romantic way. They were so in love, even when they were in their 90's.
    Stacerace, what a wonderful story!! I love family history stories, and have even gotten really into finding my family tree at one time. It is so cool to see how things were back then. Uncle Kaye and Aunt Fayola live on as long as someone remembers their story!
    I love all family things though, and I guess that's one of the things I like about watching the Duggars. I have three children, and the youngest is a teen now, but sometimes I think it would have been fun to have more. Not 18, but a couple more!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3410891;
    Stacerace, what a wonderful story!! I love family history stories, and have even gotten really into finding my family tree at one time. It is so cool to see how things were back then. Uncle Kaye and Aunt Fayola live on as long as someone remembers their story!
    I love all family things though, and I guess that's one of the things I like about watching the Duggars. I have three children, and the youngest is a teen now, but sometimes I think it would have been fun to have more. Not 18, but a couple more!
    Thanks. I enjoy stories like that. My Dad is into genealogy and has traced us back to Charlemaine (sp?) through a concubine It's been pretty fun to see where we come from.

As far as the Duggar announcement...I'll bet that Anna is DEFINITELY preggers but I wouldn't necessarily count Michelle out either. My sister got pregnant 3 weeks after her miscarriage (not on purpose, of course). I was the only person other than my brother-in-law that knew she was pregnant (she told me a couple of days after she told him) for the 1st trimester because she wanted to wait until her 2nd trimester before telling everyone in case she had another miscarriage. Needless to say, I watched her like a hawk to make sure she was taking care of herself and not doing any heavy lifting. Luckily this pregnancy was healthy and my nephew is now almost 7. He is such a joy too! I took him to see Monsters vs. Aliens last week and we had a blast!
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410905;
    Thanks. I enjoy stories like that. My Dad is into genealogy and has traced us back to Charlemaine (sp?) through a concubine It's been pretty fun to see where we come from.
    That is soooo cool! Did your dad use a geneology service, or dig it up himself?

I also wanted to mention that I thought it was amazing that the Duggars took in Grandpa Duggar! They have such a full plate, and to do that is wonderful. I am sorry to hear that he died. At least he died with all of his loved ones around him.

+ Reply to Thread