+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 226 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Just watched my first episode (going to NYC) and I really enjoyed the show. I really didn't expect to like the family, but I did. The parents were much less "wierd" than I thought they'd be. And, they do a fabuloous job with the kids and seem to be very happy as a couple.

And, the parents are much more relaxed than Jon and Kate. I prefer the "tone" the Duggars take when speaking/disciplining/interacting to/with their kids than that of Jon and Kate

I am, however, bothered by one thing. While I really have no issues with how they handle things like premarital sex, homeschooling, etc. I do not like that all the girls have long hair and wear dresses.

I'm sure if they are living by the literal word of the bible, they are living by the view that women serve men are are therefore second class citizens.

I hope there is some other reason for way the girls dress the way they do that I'm not aware of. Otherwise, I'd be terribly disappointed.

I can't support the family/show if they are raising their children in this manner. No patience for it AT ALL.
    Last edited by Jexter; 10-25-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Jexter, I feel the same way about their ultra-conservative upbringing. But you know what? I found that they're a real pleasure to watch. Even with 17 children, they don't seem rushed or overly-excited, and rarely do you see the kids act out.

I gave up on Kate, but I think I might continue to watch the Duggars. I don't agree with their "no tv, except Christian education; or girls wearing nothing but long dresses" ideas, but their basic parenting skill are very good and they really seem like very nice people. The only thing I hope is that Joshua (that's the oldest, right?) & his new wife, don't start pro-creating right away. They're barely out of their teen-age years.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3223388;
    The only thing I hope is that Joshua (that's the oldest, right?) & his new wife, don't start pro-creating right away. They're barely out of their teen-age years.
    I'm sure they'll be pregnant soon, especially being so young, if they're not using birth control then they're super fertile Even though I believe Michelle was 22 when she had Josh and she was 17 when she and Jim Bob got married. I'm not sure what took them so long.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

if i remember correctly, she had been pregnant before but miscarried ... and they said they believe the miscarriage had something to do with the birth control they were using? so they said they wouldn't use it anymore and just accept "all the blessings god gives them".

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;3216662;
    Please Jeebus, don't tell me that this is going to be a regular show. I know, I know, I don't HAVE to watch it, but just knowing that it is being telecast makes me throw up a little. More greedy people with too little sense. I wonder how much they will scam from the network and public before their 15 minutes are up. I'm sure they probably get food stamps and I just read that their house was finished (they'd been working on it for 2 years) AND furnished by the production company or maybe it was a rich benefactor. Whatever look how the midgets cleaned up (they're building a mansion) and the couple with twins and sextet, they're always getting freebies (A hair transplant, how about college funds for the kinder instead of catering to your own misdirected vanity.
    I don't know if you are aware, but they prefer to be referred to as "little people" or "dwarf". I couldn't agree with you more about the greed of the family with the multiples and their own misdirected vanity. Hair transplant? What a HUGE waste of money!
    Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3213976;
    Although they had kissed before the wedding and even did quite a bit of heaving making out, my sister and her husband were both virgins on their wedding night. I think it's really cool because they can both say they've only been with each other and they're not bringing past sexual experiences into their relationship. My sister also says that she feels like she can trust him on a different level than she would if he'd had a past. I also have a cousin who just got married and he and his wife have never even dated anyone except each other. Although I suspect that they didn't wait until the wedding night to be with each other These are 2 relationships that I feel very confident in saying will last for a very long time. Oh, another example, my grandparents are celebrating 70 years of marriage this month and are still as in love as ever and they've only ever been with each other.
    I once went to a wedding and I kid you not, when the bride and groom were about to kiss, the pastor announced that this was the couple's first kiss!!! It was the strangest wedding I had ever attended and I won't go into the other details but the pastor who looked to be about 20 years old scolded the guests and said that if any of us had kissed prior to marriage, we were considered "sinners". My husband was so appalled, he wanted to walk out right then and there. The wedding was held on the same day as Princess Diana's funeral which was in '97 and they are still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3223415;
    if i remember correctly, she had been pregnant before but miscarried ... and they said they believe the miscarriage had something to do with the birth control they were using? so they said they wouldn't use it anymore and just accept "all the blessings god gives them".
    Hey Duggers! Wake up and join the 21st century.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3223415;
    In the specials they've had before the series gig they said they were on the pill for the first few years of marriage, had Josh, went back on the pill and got pregnant anyway and had a miscarriage. They felt so guilty, like they had caused the miscarriage with the pill, that they studied or prayed or whatever and decided to accept whatever children God would give them. I'm clear up to the miscarriage part and guilt part but what exactly they did (prayer/study) I missed because my jaw hitting the floor drowned them out. I understand their feelings because they were essentially young kids and grieving but I think they went overboard the other way.

I watched the episode tonight when the Bates family comes to visit and was surprised by how "normal" the Duggars seemed. I had read elsewhere about the Bates and even they weren't as whacked (relativiely) as I had expected them to be. Either they've been touched by the editing gods or I'm mellowing in my old age.

I do remember that she was on the pill when she was first married, but what I don't understand is why Michelle Duggar was on the pill in the first place. Isn't that against their religious beliefs? I know that Catholics don't believe in birth control, they recommend the "rhythm" method. I would think their strict christian values would prohibit any birth control but what do i know.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3223662;
    I do remember that she was on the pill when she was first married, but what I don't understand is why Michelle Duggar was on the pill in the first place. Isn't that against their religious beliefs? I know that Catholics don't believe in birth control, they recommend the "rhythm" method. I would think their strict christian values would prohibit any birth control but what do i know.
    I think the super duper Christian beliefs came after the miscarriage. They were Christian before but adopted the fundie lifestyle afterwards. I think regular Christians use the pill without a problem all the time. I'm a former pill popping non-practicing Catholic and didn't feel guilty. If I go to Hades it will be for worse stuff than being on the pill for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3223662;
    They're just plain old Southern Baptists. They came up with all the other stuff on their own. I admit that I tend to believe more like the Duggars in this respect but since I don't want a bunch of kids I plan on having 2-4 (still undecided) and then get my tubes tied after that. If I ever get married that is. As far as the girls' clothing is concerned, I don't think they're trying to teach their girls to be subservient to men (a common misconception to Christianity. The Bible does NOT teach this at all!). I just think it's about modesty. And it's probably a lot easier and less costly (which is probably more likely the reason).
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

+ Reply to Thread