+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 239 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989139 ... LastLast
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3370529;
    isn't that strange? i know a few very devout mormons and i would trust them with my life and money quicker than i would trust some of the christians i've known in my days. i may not agree with their religious beliefs, but at least they tend to be a little more christ-like than those who profess to be.

(christians in this thread, please don't take offense ... because it's not intended to offend)
    There are some Christians I wouldn't trust either!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I think "Christian" can end up being a catch-all in America. Polls have most Americans calling themselves Christian, and yet very few know even the bible stories from Sunday School, let alone having any real understanding of what Christianity is. So, there are going to be alot of people who call themselves Christians who are far from representing Christ.
    But, I think the Duggars are a very good representation of Christians, although way more fundamentalist than most. They are sweet, caring people who reach out to help others. I really agreed with what they said on the last episode about having more movies available with family values. My husband and I are really conservative on what movies we watch, or our kids see. I just want the movie I watch to uphold good morals and make me feel uplifted when I come out. I loved the movie that the Duggars were screening, "Fireproof". The story was very inspiring in a day when marriages are so disposable. Kirk Cameron seemed really nice and down to earth as well.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i just finished watching the episode where they go to the film festival and meet kirk cameron ... and i find myself mentally comparing how michelle talks to and treats her kids with the other show with just eight kids

in this episode, she let the kids run loose and blow off steam after sitting through a whole movie ... something 'someone else' would have never done. she'd be freaking out.

and when one of them came to her saying she hurt herself, michelle says "awww, you got a booboo?" and kisses it ... and the child runs off to join in the fun again. that's all she wanted/needed ... a little bit of love and attention.

i think the mother on on the 'other show' could take some lessons from this one.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

While I agree with you on some points BFD....I also think that Jichelle could learn a thing or two from "the other mom" ...oh like maybe taking care of her kids HERSELF instead of having your older children do it for you.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

i don't for a moment, believe that the other one takes care of her kids herself ... she's had staff to help with that for years. she just sits there and complains.

but i do agree ... michelle does rely on her older kids too much. that was very evident when the girls went to help prepare for the wedding ... jimbob mentioned it reminded him of when they were younger and there weren't older kids around to help out.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Sure....the other mom has had babysitters and family members who have helped.....but they aren't living in the house 24/7 helping and they aren't her children. But enough about that family....

I remember JimBob saying that I was shaking my head thinking...."those older kids need to take trips more often!!!!"
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3373956;
    I remember JimBob saying that I was shaking my head thinking...."those older kids need to take trips more often!!!!"
    yes!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, I agree that if you decide to have that many children, you should have to take care of them yourself. I think she hands over the last baby to an older girl as soon as she has the next one. So, each child only has mom taking care of them, one-on-one, for a year and a half. Of course, she seems to be sweet and caring to all of the children. But, there is only so much mom to go around.
    The other thing that bothers me is that she doesn't hug her children full on, she only does side-hugs. I am a hugger with my children!

The other thing that bothers me is that she doesn't hug her children full on, she only does side-hugs. I am a hugger with my children!
    I'm a mom, and I dislike hugging. Does that mean I don't love my kids or pay enough attention to them? No. It's just a facet of my personality.

The only time I initiated a hug was when they fell down or got hurt, and when I left my daughter when we moved to Chicago, last fall. Then I wouldn't let go.

As a child I was never a big fan of being hugged. I just never liked people in my personal space like that. As an adult I'm not a big fan of hugging either. Human contact is important. It doesn't necessarily have to be a full on smothering hug. The children I'm around know I care for them even if I don't do full on hugs.

+ Reply to Thread