+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 214 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138 ... LastLast
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by LapisLazuli;3361440;
    Yes, it is almost certain that the Duggar's are Gothardite(which, yes, is a cult). I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a woman who told her story of growing up Gothard and then choosing to leave it behind...in which the repercussions were devastating concerning her family.

I will try to find the link....
    It would be great if you could find that link. Also, could you provide your source that confirms that it's a cult? Since I had never heard of Gothardism before reading this thread I did a search on wikipedia (which I realize isn't always completely accurate) and it doesn't sound like a cult to me. It seems very biblical to me and I found this statement regarding cults:

By cultism we mean the adherence to doctrines which are pointedly contradictory to orthodox Christianity and which yet claim the distinction of either tracing their origin to orthodox sources or of being in essential harmony with those sources. Cultism, in short, is any major deviation from orthodox Christianity relative to the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith.
    Nothing that I've read about Gothardism seems "contradictory to orthodox Christianity"...

My mom and I were watching the wedding episode yesterday and got to talking about their beliefs and I mentioned what I had learned about Gothardism here on this thread and that several posters had mentioned it being a cult. My mom stated that when we were kids she and my dad had actually attended a Gothard seminar and she didn't think it was a cult at all. My parents thought it was a little extreme but did not disagree with it at all but decided it was not a good fit for our family but went to the seminar because they were desperate to try anything to get my 2 brothers (had gotten into drugs and alcohol) in line and didn't want me and my sister to follow in their footsteps. We ended up moving to a different school instead that was a public school but might as well have been a private Christian school as the principal and most of the teachers were Christians and attended our church. At our school you were either Nazarene or Baptist. Mostly Nazarene as it is across the street from a Nazarene mega church (that my family still attends today) as well as a Nazarene University. My sister's kids go to that school and if I ever get married my kids will go there too.

ETA: I loved the episode where they go to the Christian Film Festival. I wish I knew that existed before! I have yet to see Fireproof but my sister and her husband saw it and they said it was one of the best movies they had seen in a long time. Christian movies are some of the best movies I think. I can't watch Facing the Giants without throughout the entire movie. Especially when that kid carries the other kid across the football field. I also really enjoy the Left Behind movies. I love Kirk Cameron and thought it was cool that he came and met the family. I was always a fan of his when I was a kid and enjoy watching his TV show even though it is a little repetitive since he uses the same shtick when he is witnessing to people. I always admired people who had the guts to witness to strangers on the street. I've never felt comfortable with it myself.
    Last edited by stacerace; 03-04-2009 at 02:57 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Great post, stacerace. I think "cult" can mean different things to different people. For example, years ago I had an Old/New Testament professor at a Baptist college who listed the Assembly of God church as an example of a cult. I was raised in an A/G church, and found his perception of that church different from my personal experiences. I think of a cult as the followers of someone who claims to have received a "new revelation" from some higher power - it could be seen as an addition to some current religious doctrine or something totally new. But someone else may perceive any religious group with an "extreme" style as a cult.

That being said, I enjoy the way this family presents themselves on the show, and often find myself encouraged by some of their values (living debt free, serving others, etc.).
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Here is some info on Bill Gothard teachings:
    Bill Gothard Discussion

There are links on the side to some of his ministry sites. The ATI, Advanced Training Institute, is the curriculum that the Duggars use to homeschool. The wisdom booklets looked good to me, but we couldn't sign their application because we just couldn't adhere to it. There is also a Duggar episode where they attended one of the ATI seminars here in Texas (you are required to attend yearly). You can see tons of large families because Bill Gothard also teaches the "quiverful" lesson where people should not use birth control. It stems from Psalm 127:3-5 in the bible that calls children arrows and says blessed is the man with a quiverful.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3366883;
    Great post, stacerace. I think "cult" can mean different things to different people. For example, years ago I had an Old/New Testament professor at a Baptist college who listed the Assembly of God church as an example of a cult. I was raised in an A/G church, and found his perception of that church different from my personal experiences. I think of a cult as the followers of someone who claims to have received a "new revelation" from some higher power - it could be seen as an addition to some current religious doctrine or something totally new. But someone else may perceive any religious group with an "extreme" style as a cult.
    i researched cults for a term paper in school... a cult is a group led by someone who claims to be a messiah or chosen one, and people are usually required to submit all of their belongings/money to the leadership/group, and to cut off all contact with family and previous friends.

i also have a background with the assemblies of god (was married to an AoG minister and i held a state level position in the missionettes program) ... they claim to be "full gospel", but they're not a cult. and i agree with you coltnlasma, a lot of people perceive religious groups to be cults when they appear to be more extreme than what they're comfortable with.

It may not fit the definition of a cult, but it definitely has a lot of rules and regulations. It seems really invasive. If that's what they want to do ... I just don't think it is the best for the kids in this day and age.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

I have had people in my own church refer to Mormanism as a cult as well because of the fact that they have to do something about proving they have paid their tithe or something like that and have to provide their tax filings or something (I don't know how accurate that is but something about $$ anyway) as well as the addition of the Book of Mormon. I don't believe that it's a cult since they believe in both the Old and New Testaments even though they also believe in the Book of Mormon which has some stuff that seem pretty weird to me but I think that most Mormons are really good people (Tyson from Survivor excluded ).
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3369101;
    I have had people in my own church refer to Mormanism as a cult as well because of the fact that they have to do something about proving they have paid their tithe or something like that and have to provide their tax filings or something (I don't know how accurate that is but something about $$ anyway) as well as the addition of the Book of Mormon. I don't believe that it's a cult since they believe in both the Old and New Testaments even though they also believe in the Book of Mormon which has some stuff that seem pretty weird to me but I think that most Mormons are really good people (Tyson from Survivor excluded ).
    I have a good friend who is a Mormon. Wonderful person. However the religion borders on cultism for me, mostly the fundamentalists (Warren Jeffs and gang). Also the belief that they can become gods of their own worlds is a bit too dicey for me. The basic belief system is the same as Christianity but there are enough doubts as to its origin with Joseph Smith, as well as twists in it that makes it walk a fine line. Alot of Christians don't consider Mormons true Christians. Again, that said most Mormon people are fine upstanding citizens.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The fundamentalist groups that branch off from Mormonism because of this "God-on-Earth" belief, like Warren Jeffs & Jeffrey -BURN IN HELL- Lundgren, do fit the criteria of a cult. They basically brainwash their followers into doing & believing anything they want. Which is why these groups are ousted from the church formally.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3369538;
    ...Alot of Christians don't consider Mormons true Christians. Again, that said most Mormon people are fine upstanding citizens.
    isn't that strange? i know a few very devout mormons and i would trust them with my life and money quicker than i would trust some of the christians i've known in my days. i may not agree with their religious beliefs, but at least they tend to be a little more christ-like than those who profess to be.

(christians in this thread, please don't take offense ... because it's not intended to offend)

^It's just like in any religion-there are the good people and there are the bad ones.

+ Reply to Thread