+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 229 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787137 ... LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3350085;
    I don't think they had too much money before the show. As I recall, they had to rely on help to have their house built. And they had to build the house themselves. I remember seeing little children with hammers. It was part of a Duggar Family Special that aired a few years back. They seem more "comfortable" now. And I am pretty sure they did not have the means to travel as much as they do now before the show.
    They sure didn't have as much cash...they were able, after the first couple specials aired, to probably buy a used RV and then take the kids on that giant road trip where it mentioned that it was the first time any of the kids had been in a plane (when they went to the Grand Canyon). So a lot of this travelling is newer to the kids.

I'm not saying it's wrong that Jon got hair plugs and Kate got a tummy tuck. It is their choice of how they want to use the money-and if I had multiple kids I would have had a tummy tuck as well. I just find that the Duggars are using their money to better the family as a whole (I rarely watch the Roloff's, so I cannot comment there). They could not have taken that mission trip with as many of them as there were if they didn't have the money-because there were 13 people going, plus 24 bags of toys to give as the gifts, and buying the food and stuff when they were down there...that's not something that they would have been able to swing otherwise.

FORT Regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Gosselin's offered the tummy tuck and hair plugs free? I always got that impression from the show, but maybe I missed something.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thisaintascene;3350368;
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Gosselin's offered the tummy tuck and hair plugs free? I always got that impression from the show, but maybe I missed something.
    Yes, they were. It was great advertising for those companies that offered them. Everyone won.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

There's no doubt all the "reality tv" families have improved their station in life by permitting cameras into their homes. Freebies and promotions are part of the deal. However, of all the families that participate, I think the Duggars were probably doing fine prior to the TV show, and will do just fine afterwards. It's their attitude I can appreciate.

Someone mentioned in a previous thread the Duggars are probably Southern Baptist. I don't think so. I was born and raised Southern Baptist, and this strict adherence to such a conservative lifestyle is not part of the doctrine. My guess is they are more along the lines of some sort of fundamental denomination, probably of the "independent" variety (small organizational leadership, etc).

Even so, Michelle and Jim Bob, whether you agree with them or not in beliefs, behave with some degree of dignity in their home. They ask for, and receive, respect from their children. As I mentioned in a previous post, they all seem like well-adjusted, happy folks, who are gracious and welcoming in their home.

I think the thread for the Gosselins has been officially closed by the Mods, so I'm wondering how much further we should mention them. Suffice it to say I have never seen a TV show breed so much discontent and ill-will as that one.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;3350508;
    Someone mentioned in a previous thread the Duggars are probably Southern Baptist. I don't think so. I was born and raised Southern Baptist, and this strict adherence to such a conservative lifestyle is not part of the doctrine. My guess is they are more along the lines of some sort of fundamental denomination, probably of the "independent" variety (small organizational leadership, etc).
    My understanding is that the Duggars are followers of Bill Gothard's. Just google him, there's a lot out there. As always, it may or may not be accurate (seeing as this is, indeed, the Internet!) and you may or may not believe in his teachings. Both of those are personal choices.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Also Quiverfull is a good one to look up. You can pretty much use it as a checklist to the Duggars. Reading through all of that...I mean, I'm a Christian myself (Lutheran specifically) and it kinda scares me.

yep, I've taken a look at both those organizations on the internet, they are pretty extreme, at least for my taste. But then my lame ass doesn't even get out of bed for Church on Sunday morning, so I guess I shouldn't talk too much about those who do...even if I don't quite appreciate their conservative approach.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I like the Duggars. They seem like nice, genuine people. What's really surprised me is that my sons like to watch their show too - they are 12 and 14! They also like the Duggars, but think that they are a little extreme (my boys couldn't live without their video games and computer!). Of course, we are also homeschoolers, but we are not Gothard-ites. The Bill Gothard followers are a different breed. Nice people, but very extreme in their lifestyle.

As for homeschooling, it is really gaining ground. Homeschoolers actually have a higher national average for standardized test scores than public school students, so you can't say they aren't intelligent. It depends on the mother on how much they expose the kids to, but I have chosen to teach my children about all of the major world religions and evolution. It's also pretty common for homeschoolers to teach their kids Logic and Rhetoric for debate purposes which rounds them out pretty well. My 25 yr old daughter, who went to public school, says that all of the homeschool children we have around us are smarter and more mature than her friends were, but not street smart. I think that's true.

The schools around us have a lot of bad stuff going on. There is actually a problem with kids having sex in the hallways of our local high school! Not to mention the drugs, fighting, and gangs. My daughter went through the school system here and is glad I spared the boys from it. (I never thought of homeschooling as an option until my oldest son was really struggling in second grade with a learning disability.) I am sure there are really great public schools out there too, but we don't live near them.

Of course, there are bad apples in every group who may not do a good job homeschooling, but for the most part, it takes dedication and commitment to wanting the best for your children to do this. I know that I have given up my days to help my children and give them a better education than they would have received at our local school.
    Last edited by maude~flanders; 03-02-2009 at 11:37 AM.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3353631;
    My understanding is that the Duggars are followers of Bill Gothard's. Just google him, there's a lot out there. As always, it may or may not be accurate (seeing as this is, indeed, the Internet!) and you may or may not believe in his teachings. Both of those are personal choices.
    Yes, it is almost certain that the Duggar's are Gothardite(which, yes, is a cult). I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a woman who told her story of growing up Gothard and then choosing to leave it behind...in which the repercussions were devastating concerning her family.

I will try to find the link....

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, the Gothardites are an ultra-fundie group with unbelievably strict lifestyle rules. I know the Duggars are a part of it because you have to be to use their homeschool curriculum, which the Duggars use. I looked at their curriculum and you have to fill out an application to use it, and then you have to attend the Bill Gothard seminars which teach you how to live your life. On the application to use their curriculum you have to state that you are willing to give up watching television and only listen to hymns, among many other things. I could never sign that! My 14-yr old son has a huge drum set in his bedroom and listens to Christian heavy metal! My younger son has a bass guitar and an amp in his room and they are planning on being in a band. Combine that with my love of reality shows and the internet and we don't quite fit in!
    I think I have heard of an entire support group for young adults who had been raised in Gothardite homes and left. One is by XATI Guy.
    I know of other families who are really happy with the whole thing and seem very sweet.

+ Reply to Thread