+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 260 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I also think their religious views come into play a lot with the Duggars. Love one another and all that stuff, follow the commandments....thou shalt not lie, steal, etc.

I know the G's think of themselves as Christians, but sure don't come off as such. I would bet that they spend more time in churches looking for love offerings rather than salvation or inspiration. Not sure about the Roloffs. Roloff sounds Jewish to me. I haven't watched too many of the older Roloff shows, so I don't know anything about their religious beliefs. But of the three TLC families, I think the Duggars are the most religious and that might have something to do with how they treat each other. JMHO

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Its actually the religion that turns me OFF to the Duggars. How I rank the three familes from fave to not.....Roloffs, G's and THEN the Duggars.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3349179;
    I also think their religious views come into play a lot with the Duggars. Love one another and all that stuff, follow the commandments....thou shalt not lie, steal, etc.

I know the G's think of themselves as Christians, but sure don't come off as such. I would bet that they spend more time in churches looking for love offerings rather than salvation or inspiration. Not sure about the Roloffs. Roloff sounds Jewish to me. I haven't watched too many of the older Roloff shows, so I don't know anything about their religious beliefs. But of the three TLC families, I think the Duggars are the most religious and that might have something to do with how they treat each other. JMHO
    The Roloffs are Christian, non denominational I think. The kids all go to Faith Bible Christian School in Western Oregon area.

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3349164;
    See both families do get the money and such-but for a family like the Duggars, they aren't getting plastic surgery. I read one of the articles and they've bought multiple cars, but at auctions. They've bought that giant tour bus as well as the smaller bus (that they bought from a hockey team for I believe $15 grand), they probably are buying some more commercial properties, and I've noticed that they have upgraded a bit in the clothing department (denim skirts and a lot of Aeropostale, granted probably bought on clearance) as well. The early Duggar specials were about them building that big house, and they had already purchased the materials to build the house. Furnishing the house as well as the grand piano, well yes those were probably provided by TLC, and the things like the trip to San Fransisco and the trip to New York, as well as the mission trips. I think the more miraculous thing is how they are able to support their family and not go into debt-of course now the TV show helps.

As far as them not being so abrasive, I do agree that TLC may be editing them to have the whole perfect rosy appearance to us, The Viewing Public-but I think that the absense of most television and Internet and music and everything has helped them to focus on building the bonds and friendships within the family. I can say from experience that I was a lot closer with my family when there was only one television and one computer. I do not agree with exactly how much they are censored-and they don't even think they are sheltered. (Jinger said so herself in one episode)

As far as the long hair goes, there are a lot of Christian denominations that prefer or require their women to have the longer hair. Yes, it is creepy that "it's what Dad prefers", but at least they aren't like the Bates kids. The Bates family makes the Duggars seem normal to me.
    My husband was surprised that some of the older girls were make-up. It doesn't look like much beyond mascara but its there. The Bates were creepy.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I don't think the Duggars see their kids as a $$ making project (ala the G's). Them investing the money or using it for the family, instead of going all Hollywood, shows me that they are sensible and practice what they preach.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3349222;
    Its actually the religion that turns me OFF to the Duggars. How I rank the three familes from fave to not.....Roloffs, G's and THEN the Duggars.
    It's not the religion that turns me off to the Duggars, but the dismissal of common sense. They are having all of these children to make up for what they consider a sin (I call it an honest mistake). But why bring so many people into the situation? I think they are just so ashamed of what happened with their first pregnancy that their entire lives (and the lives of their kids) are an attempt to make up for what they thought they did wrong. I am not a fan of the Roloff family. To me, they are just an average boring family and some just happen to be short. I'm short. Can I have my own reality show please? And I don't really love Jon and Kate, but I think that they are my favorites. I am not a parent, but I have taken parenting classes (it was a psychology course at my college) and Jon and Kate are actually doing a really good job. I feel like they were just trying for three and ended up with 8. But they still recognize each kid as an individual and have a really great, authoritative parenting style.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3349695;
    I don't think the Duggars see their kids as a $$ making project (ala the G's). Them investing the money or using it for the family, instead of going all Hollywood, shows me that they are sensible and practice what they preach.
    Am I the only one whe sees a big difference in the fact that the Duggars were raising a lot of those kids for several years before reality TV came along with some $$ ?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick;3349869;
    Am I the only one whe sees a big difference in the fact that the Duggars were raising a lot of those kids for several years before reality TV came along with some $$ ?
    I don't think they had too much money before the show. As I recall, they had to rely on help to have their house built. And they had to build the house themselves. I remember seeing little children with hammers. It was part of a Duggar Family Special that aired a few years back. They seem more "comfortable" now. And I am pretty sure they did not have the means to travel as much as they do now before the show.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3350085;
    I don't think they had too much money before the show. As I recall, they had to rely on help to have their house built. And they had to build the house themselves. I remember seeing little children with hammers. It was part of a Duggar Family Special that aired a few years back. They seem more "comfortable" now. And I am pretty sure they did not have the means to travel as much as they do now before the show.
    Oh, I have no doubt that they are much more comfortable now than they were. But that help they relied on came from their church and extended family if I am not mistaken. That's a little different from government assistance. They somehow managed to feed and clothe a lot of kids, without a lot of debt that most 2 child households have, before reality TV ever showed up

Their reasons for having that many children are their own. They aren't taking any fertility drugs or anything to have more. It's just a natural thing. So what if they are sheltered more than most of us? They appear happy and healthy and I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I don't see what is so wrong with doing things for themselves with the money they make from doing a reality TV show that WE watch. So the G'd are offered tummy tucks and hair plugs and they are able to buy a house with the money they made....I say GOOD FOR THEM!!!! I'd be doing it too! The Roloffs have definitely done the same thing with the remodel on their house....and so have the Duggars. I think its great. More power to them. If we didn't want them to have more money.....we'd stop watching the shows.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread