+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 226 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3340527;

And, as for the poster who feels the Duggars are well read, hrmm, maybe not so much, but maybe I missed something. The Duggars are home-schooled, not exposed much (even by their parent's telling) to outside the home influences (TV, internet). I'm wondering why anyone feels they are well-read. Perhaps they are, and I missed it, but I simply don't see them as being exposed to any alternative views. Nothing that would make them be introspective, and truly examine their values, has been introduced to them, at least as far as I'm seeing. That's dangerous (imo). There are entire destructive cultures based on this same type of incestous thinking, and they have not proved positive, over the course of history.
    Yes! The lack of freedom to think is really bothersome. I worry that these parents have not given their kids the tools to deal with real-life problems. And plus these parents are having to split their attention 18 different ways. I don't think that is fair for children. Every child is different and parents should parent every child differently and treat them as individuals. The more kids there are in a family, the harder it is to give them the specialized attention that they need. So I hope people don't think that it is okay to have that many children. It takes more than money to raise kids right.

I don't understand where you're getting this "lack of freedom". They play paintball, Josh works outside the home in the "real world". They get out & do things. There's nothing wrong with being homeschooled. They have to pass State authorized testing each year or they would be forced into tutoring or main stream schooling. While I would never want to home school my children, that's a personal choice. As long as they're passing their grades & tests & not being abused physically or emotionally, it's not really anybody else's business if Jichelle home schools the kids.

By well-read, I meant well-spoken & articulate. I should've clarified that better.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3340779;
    I don't understand where you're getting this "lack of freedom". They play paintball, Josh works outside the home in the "real world". They get out & do things. There's nothing wrong with being homeschooled. They have to pass State authorized testing each year or they would be forced into tutoring or main stream schooling. While I would never want to home school my children, that's a personal choice. As long as they're passing their grades & tests & not being abused physically or emotionally, it's not really anybody else's business if Jichelle home schools the kids.

By well-read, I meant well-spoken & articulate. I should've clarified that better.
    Lack of freedom meaning exposure to one way of doing things, little experience in different situations, little opportunity given to make choices, a strict way of life, etc. I am very much against home schooling because few parents can actually do it right. The kids are better off at a public school most of the time. I don't think it is a personal choice really. Because all kids should be given a good education and I don't think one woman can know all subject matter ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade well enough to teach it all at once. It matters to me ... because her kids are our future too.

I'd like to think that as the kids grow older, they will go through that introspective process of questioning the beliefs/values on which they were raised, as a normal and inevitable part of becoming an adult. I did not have a sheltered childhood, but I don't really remember going through that thought process until my late teens/early twenties, so the older Duggar children may just now be coming into that? I guess only time will tell.

Also, it does seem like a lot more people are homeschooling these days, doesn't it? I think you are right that it takes a special individual to do it successfully, but the successes may be more common than we think. Of the homeschoolers I know personally, almost all are quite bright and articulate and surpass the state-level testing for their ages.
    remember to play

[QUOTE=MissThing;3340527
    I totally agree with this, but that doesn't make the Duggars superior, in any way, in my view. They both missed the TLC boat (imo) when they didn't sign on as producers (or co-producers - see Matt and Amy Roloff).[/QUOTE]

Sorry to double post. I missed the edit window but wanted to add this: I re-read my earlier post, and realized I was wrong in how I worded it... I should've said that I find one show better than the other (instead of implying that one family is better than the other)... I stopped watching the G.'s show because I was finding myself getting weirdly negative when I watched it. But that is interesting about the producer aspect.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3341205;
    Sorry to double post. I missed the edit window but wanted to add this: I re-read my earlier post, and realized I was wrong in how I worded it... I should've said that I find one show better than the other (instead of implying that one family is better than the other)... I stopped watching the G.'s show because I was finding myself getting weirdly negative when I watched it. But that is interesting about the producer aspect.
    I can totally get your pov. It's hard to have 8 kids and two parents sort of going nuts in a half hour. Wears on the patience and nervers, regardless of the viewer's circumtances.

As far as I know and that is not too far, the G's and D's get around $64k k per episode (don't ask me for a link, I totally forget where I read it). I'm assuming *yes that is Ass u me* that with some production control, not only do Matt and Amy have a say in the content, they have an additional stipend for the 'producer' role. Say what you will about Matt (and all I have to say isn't so wonderful), he's a good businessman, who has wrapped this thing up for Roloff farms. I'm actually quite pleased for him, and his family.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

For some reason I have yet to fathom, I actually like this show. I know The Duggars have different ways...most of them odd to me...but they come across as kind and loving folks. The children have learned the simplicity of helping others, are very articulate (in my opinion), and seem to have a variety of experiences to draw from. Jim Bob and Michelle seem to be happy people, who (even if you disagree with it) provide a positive role model for their children and are not constantly battling and bickering with kids throwing temper tantrums.

As someone else mentioned, I've all but quit watching the "G's" as their is something about those self-absorbed people that makes my stomach turn.

So here's to the Duggars....no matter how different they are, I love watching their adventures.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;3346984;
    For some reason I have yet to fathom, I actually like this show. I know The Duggars have different ways...most of them odd to me...but they come across as kind and loving folks. The children have learned the simplicity of helping others, are very articulate (in my opinion), and seem to have a variety of experiences to draw from. Jim Bob and Michelle seem to be happy people, who (even if you disagree with it) provide a positive role model for their children and are not constantly battling and bickering with kids throwing temper tantrums.

As someone else mentioned, I've all but quit watching the "G's" as their is something about those self-absorbed people that makes my stomach turn.

So here's to the Duggars....no matter how different they are, I love watching their adventures.

Here, here!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I second! There is just something about them that makes ME feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3337853;
    Well, that's true, Trista. And yet, the Duggars reap simlilar material rewards.

In one way, I also question why they are not so abrasive. In a family this large, can it possibly be that folks don't rub each other the wrong way? If they do have more conflicts, why not show them, and if they don't - well, I'm going to say right here and now, that's more than exceptional. How can you possibly have this many free minds and not have a butting of the heads, at least now and then?

While Kate Gosselin irritates me no end at times, she appears to be honest about what fame has brought to her. Neither this family, nor the Roloffs seem to be the same. I'm sure TLC pays for every excursion, new homes, and so on. In a sad and sorry way, I agree with the NYT. I'd love for the Duggars (much as I stand opposed to their principles) to be the 'real thing'. I just don't believe they are.
    See both families do get the money and such-but for a family like the Duggars, they aren't getting plastic surgery. I read one of the articles and they've bought multiple cars, but at auctions. They've bought that giant tour bus as well as the smaller bus (that they bought from a hockey team for I believe $15 grand), they probably are buying some more commercial properties, and I've noticed that they have upgraded a bit in the clothing department (denim skirts and a lot of Aeropostale, granted probably bought on clearance) as well. The early Duggar specials were about them building that big house, and they had already purchased the materials to build the house. Furnishing the house as well as the grand piano, well yes those were probably provided by TLC, and the things like the trip to San Fransisco and the trip to New York, as well as the mission trips. I think the more miraculous thing is how they are able to support their family and not go into debt-of course now the TV show helps.

As far as them not being so abrasive, I do agree that TLC may be editing them to have the whole perfect rosy appearance to us, The Viewing Public-but I think that the absense of most television and Internet and music and everything has helped them to focus on building the bonds and friendships within the family. I can say from experience that I was a lot closer with my family when there was only one television and one computer. I do not agree with exactly how much they are censored-and they don't even think they are sheltered. (Jinger said so herself in one episode)

As far as the long hair goes, there are a lot of Christian denominations that prefer or require their women to have the longer hair. Yes, it is creepy that "it's what Dad prefers", but at least they aren't like the Bates kids. The Bates family makes the Duggars seem normal to me.

+ Reply to Thread