+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 214 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

There was an interesting article in last week's NYT's Arts section (yes, I do realize the Times is evil) comparing the Gosselin's (favorably) to a slight mention of the Duggars (unfavorably). I found that of note because Kate Gosselin is so abrasive, Jon so passive that it was a surprise to me that the Times felt they were 'real', whereas the Duggars (in the opinion of the writer) were 'too good to be true', and much more 'staged'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/ar...stew.html?_r=1
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I mean, I think that the comparison is not valid because it's two completely different family and parenting styles-the Duggars take a stricter route, but at the same time they are not as abrasive in my book as Jon & Kate. Nonetheless, they are both realities-just two different ones.

Well, that's true, Trista. And yet, the Duggars reap simlilar material rewards.

In one way, I also question why they are not so abrasive. In a family this large, can it possibly be that folks don't rub each other the wrong way? If they do have more conflicts, why not show them, and if they don't - well, I'm going to say right here and now, that's more than exceptional. How can you possibly have this many free minds and not have a butting of the heads, at least now and then?

While Kate Gosselin irritates me no end at times, she appears to be honest about what fame has brought to her. Neither this family, nor the Roloffs seem to be the same. I'm sure TLC pays for every excursion, new homes, and so on. In a sad and sorry way, I agree with the NYT. I'd love for the Duggars (much as I stand opposed to their principles) to be the 'real thing'. I just don't believe they are.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Don't get me started on the Duggars! I wish their kids had free minds, but when I heard the little girls say that they all wore their hair long because their daddy likes long hair, my stomach turned! When you have 20 people in your family, you should have major differences in personalities and beliefs. And those kids are taught such nonsense! I mean, they all went on a field trip to the zoo to feed bread to exotic animals? How about teaching them calculus instead!? Those kids parents have destroyed those kids! And because of their ridiculous education, they can't even chose a different lifestyle if they wanted to! Disgusting! I like John and Kate though. I mean, they may have more children than they should have, but it was from only 2 pregnancies. And even though mom is a bit too much, I think these kids have been given the right kind of parenting.
    FIERCE avatar by antm10wordpress!
    In your face TYRA!

What constitutes the "right kind of parenting", though? For each family it is different. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It's also different to try to parent 8 children who are all within 5 years of age, than 20 children who span 21 years.

And I'd far rather have a family that conforms & has polite, well-read, happy, children; than one with whinny kids who throw temper-tantrums and are uncontrollable.

The material rewards the Duggars have gained are NOTHING compared to the Gosselins. Unless Jim-Bob got a free lifetime supply of hair spray & Michelle got complimentary face lift or something, then nothing compares to hairplugs & tummy tucks. Even if the Duggars have gotten material gains, they don't flaunt it.

And it's very curious that the Gosselin's parents (not counting his deceased father) want nothing to do with the show & very little to do with them, while both the Duggar's families are shown often and with acceptance & love.

I saw a commercial for this week's upcoming show where they bring the new baby home. Cameras are all over the place, and "Jichelle" mentions that one of her little boys questioned why cameras are always around their family.

It looked like Jichelle actually realized that some of these kids have never known what life is like without the cameras always being there. Same can be said about the G 'tups.

I agree with Hutch about how different the Duggars are from the Gosselins. I would take the Duggars over the G's anyday. The Duggar kids seem a whole lot happier than the G's.

I don't remember who posted Michelle's name as Jichelle, but that is what I am going to call her from now on. I love it! LOL (Just went back a couple of pages and found that it was Just Juls who coined the name Jichelle!)

Good points. Also, I think it makes a difference why each family chooses to continue to be filmed. I don't have any first-hand knowledge about either family, but the D. parents seem to want to share their lifestyle as a way of "witnessing" to others about good stewardship, serving others, etc., while the G. parents (or at least one of them) seem to want to share how difficult everything is for them and how much they need/appreciate gifts from others. For me at least, that makes the former rather inspirational to watch and the latter rather unwatchable. (And back to that article posted upthread, maybe the "inspirational" aspect of the D. family is what makes them come across at times as "less real" in the reality tv world?)
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

FORT Regular

Completely random question. Did the Duggar's start with an hour long special like jon and kate or were the originally get offered a full-fledged show? I would think the former, but just want to see if anyone knew for sure.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

yes, the duggers were one-hour specials a couple of times before the series was created.

[QUOTE=coltnlasma;3339908;]Good points. Also, I think it makes a difference why each family chooses to continue to be filmed. I don't have any first-hand knowledge about either family, but the D. parents seem to want to share their lifestyle as a way of "witnessing" to others about good stewardship, serving others, etc., while the G. parents (or at least one of them) seem to want to share how difficult everything is for them and how much they need/appreciate gifts from others./QUOTE]

I totally agree with this, but that doesn't make the Duggars superior, in any way, in my view. They both missed the TLC boat (imo) when they didn't sign on as producers (or co-producers - see Matt and Amy Roloff).

There's no reason to believe (as far as I can tell) that the Duggars are less compensated (even proportionately), than are the Gosselins. The difference is that Kate (especially) talks about the compensation, the other two families do not.

I do know someone who lives close to the Duggars and thinks they are an very nice family (he and I almost always disagree on social issues, so this didn't come as a huge surprise to me). I know (personally) nobody who knows either the Rolloffs, or the Gosselins.

And, as for the poster who feels the Duggars are well read, hrmm, maybe not so much, but maybe I missed something. The Duggars are home-schooled, not exposed much (even by their parent's telling) to outside the home influences (TV, internet). I'm wondering why anyone feels they are well-read. Perhaps they are, and I missed it, but I simply don't see them as being exposed to any alternative views. Nothing that would make them be introspective, and truly examine their values, has been introduced to them, at least as far as I'm seeing. That's dangerous (imo). There are entire destructive cultures based on this same type of incestous thinking, and they have not proved positive, over the course of history.
    I cater to the Regs!

+ Reply to Thread