+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 259 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I was surprised at how pretty the bridesmaids dresses were and that they wore makeup (gasp!). However, the poor Bates girls had on those ugly prarie things again. But Erin Bates is terribly talented, and Josh isn't a bad singer himself.

Notice they didn't show Anna speaking her vows? I wonder if that's because the word "obey" was in there and they didn't want to offend their tv audience? But Anna & Josh seem to be much more down to earth & realistic than her parents, so I'm hopeful for their children. But how akward (sp?) was that conversation with Jim-Bob. I applaud him for being up front with his son (how many parents really take the time to talk to their kids about sex realistically?), but to have Josh sit in the little kids chair and then give him a book! Yikes. Even Josh seemed uncomfortable. IMO that part really didn't need to be filmed.

It actually seemed like a very nice, simple, family & friends affair, rather than these overblown weddings that are featured now-a-days.

Well, from what I gather, don't the Duggar's consider themselves to be more of a non-denominational Christian family?
    They have their own "church" service in their home?

(And let me clarify by stating that I did not mention Southern Baptist to criticize their beliefs. I mentioned them because of the experience I had there more than 30 years ago.)

The whole thing with Josh slightly obsessed with getting this wedding over with was a little awkward. Its like the boy just couldn't wait for later that evening, ahem... And that whole conversation between Jim-Bob and Josh was just not necessary for us to see. They even showed Josh and Anna listening to the CD in the car on the way to the hotel, again awkward. Like Hutchlover said, I applaud Jim-Bob for talking to his son about this as a lot of parents don't, but that was a private conversation that I am still wondering why Jim-Bob and Michelle allowed to air? Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana;3289547;
    Well, from what I gather, don't the Duggar's consider themselves to be more of a non-denominational Christian family?
    They have their own "church" service in their home?

(And let me clarify by stating that I did not mention Southern Baptist to criticize their beliefs. I mentioned them because of the experience I had there more than 30 years ago.)

This was Anna's family's church, not the Duggar's denomination. Traditionally, parties get married in the bride's church. (Though not always)

Hey, psycobabe, where in Ohio are you from? I just moved from there.

FORT Newbie

To a previous poster, I believe Anna is 20.

All this talk about Baptists made me think of a joke I heard long ago........

Why won't Baptists "get romantic" standing up? Someone might think they are dancing.

(I hope that was not offensive to anyone - just an attempt at humor).

I feel so badly for Anna. The look of horror and disappointment on her face after Josh attempted that first kiss was so sad. I will never understand how these kids are supposed to go from their first kiss to full-on sexual intercourse within the same evening. Talk about pressure, sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3289781;
    I feel so badly for Anna. The look of horror and disappointment on her face after Josh attempted that first kiss was so sad. I will never understand how these kids are supposed to go from their first kiss to full-on sexual intercourse within the same evening. Talk about pressure, sheesh.
    Its beyond creepy to me. I know that this is how things may have happened for centuries before (arranged marriages, blah blah blah) but we are in the 21st century. I can completely understand the abstinence pledge but no kissing? Really? And to share your first kiss not only in front of an entire congregation but on national tv? Oy vey, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3289781;
    Well, it should be no problem for Josh. It doesnt take much to get a guy ready to go. But the poor girl, Anna. I highly doubt she will ever have a decent sexual experience in her life as long as she is tied to the church. And that, truly, is a shame. Sex isn't just for men, but if men (and women) arent taught to look for the needs of their partners and not just lie there, then they will never see it for more than "making babies"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;3289273;
    I thought it was either a Seven Day Adventest or Mormon church. Because when the cameras pan the audience at the wedding, I saw one of the ladies with a veil/scraf over her head. Also, the wedding was on the a Friday, Seven Day Adventest have church services on Saturdays. I would be curious to know which religious church it was.
    7th Day Adventists don't cover their heads. My inlaws are adventists and while they are very strict in a lot of ways, they don't cover their heads and women can and do wear pants to church.

My sister is Southern Baptist and the dancing thing is because it's too suggestive. i.e. leads to sex
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

[QUOTE=myrosiedog;3290415;]7th Day Adventists don't cover their heads. My inlaws are adventists and while they are very strict in a lot of ways, they don't cover their heads and women can and do wear pants to church.

That's interesting because at my cousin's church, they do. They tried to stick that thing on my head when I visited. That's why I thought this church was Seven Day. I guess some do and some don't. I am Methodist and don't have a hat head (meaning I don't look good in them). I didn't even wear a veil when I got married.

+ Reply to Thread