+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 226 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I just wanted to drag Daddy Keller by his ill-fitting tie until he choked on his fat tongue. "The way it should be" my fricking @ss.

You can tell Michelle & Jim-Bob aren't like that. He respects Michelle's opinion and they seem to work as a team. But it's fairly obvious that Mrs. Keller is submissive & beaten down. Anna seems to have a bit of spunk in her, but Josh has a very demanding & powerful personality (much more so than Jim-Bob IMO). Anna better learn how to stand on equal footing with Josh, or she's going to turn into her mouse of a mother.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with dancing! It's an expression of joy & happiness unto the Lord. You fricking idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana;3289221;
    I believe they were married in a Southern Baptist church. It has been my experience that woman are to be silent and the man is the authority in the home AND in the church. For example, if you attend a sermon and the pastor is making a point, you will hear a man shout AMEN! Never a woman - never ever. I asked my aunt about it, and she said "Oh dear -a woman's place is understood. The men are the authority in God's house."
    I guess their morals, values and lifestyle works for them.
    As a woman - I couldn't do it.
    I thought it was either a Seven Day Adventest or Mormon church. Because when the cameras pan the audience at the wedding, I saw one of the ladies with a veil/scraf over her head. Also, the wedding was on the a Friday, Seven Day Adventest have church services on Saturdays. I would be curious to know which religious church it was.

I thought Josh wife was one of his sisters, because they all look so much a like. I also thought the crazy aunt with the short grey dress must of been the black sheep of the family, because she didn't have the long hair on the long skirts that they wore.

They showed the sign out in front of the church numerous times during the episode. And it was definitely a Baptist Church.

I got that icky feeling too from the bride's father. And I was grossed out watching the women preparing food with their hands....no gloves, no hair nets. ICK!

I did get a chuckle though when the two sibs were re-enacting the proposal and the one son said something to the effect of, "and here are a few of my friends" (meaning the photo crew) and also when the boys were out wrapping the car in plastic wrap, rigging the horn to the brakes, etc. And then when Josh said that he had left the ring in the console of the car and someone had to try to get into the car to fetch it.

I was also surprised by the "no dancing" policy.

Oh Mama C, the Southern Baptists that I know don't believe in much of anything fun, in public. In the privacy of their own homes, things liven up considerably. It's all about public appearances. A more two faced bunch I've yet to encounter. I married in to one of these fun groups nearly 45 years ago and they never cease to amaze me. I have made a concerted effort to shock the living h3ll out of them as often as possible. It's my duty, don't you know?

When i was a little girl, I went to a Souther Baptist church.
    Girls were not allowed: To wear pants/slacks/jeans at any time. Not allowed to cut their hair as it was their "crowning glory", no speaking aloud in the church except to sing during music worship.
    There is no dancing, no drinking, (communion "wine" is not really wine - just good old Welch's grape juice.) and you had better believe that next to GOD-the MEN are the head of the household. A woman's only job is to serve her husband and she can do that by being submissive, keeping a clean home, raising the children and catering to his every whim.
    Thankfully - I found a place to worship that was nowhere near as antiquated as the Southern Baptist congregation.

I was raised Southern Baptist. In modern southern Baptist churches, the men are recognized as the head of the household, but women are not submissive little things who are afraid to speak their mind, either. I know my mother and her mother most definitely were not that way. Women are allowed a role within the church, just never as a pastor. I, too, thought the bride's dad had antiquainted views on what marriage was. There are some Baptists who say that females can not cut their hair and have to wear dresses always, but never any church I was in.

There is a joke that you never take a Baptist fishing with you, take 2 so they won't drink all of your beer. Southern baptists switched to anti drinking back in the 20's or so when the reform movement which led to prohibition was picking up steam. They jumped on that bandwagon and just never got off of it

I to this day have never figured out why Baptists are anti-dancing.

One of the things i did not get was that neither of them had ever kissed anyone until they got married. That just struck me as bizarre. Both my parents were raised Southern Baptist and my grandmother tried to tell me once that my mother had never kissed a boy before she got engaged to my dad. My mother later informed me that that was just not true

Our family's wedding receptions did usually look a lot like theirs. They were usually in the fellowship hall at the church, there was a reception line, punch, cake, some finger sandwich type food, and no dancing.

I think there is a Baptist denomination called American Baptist or something like that, that isn't part of the Southern Baptists, but has the same policies regarding hair and dress for women as this church seemed to. I saw the sign that said it was a baptist church, and I know they were in the south, but I wonder if that church was really part of the Southern baptist Convention?

I don't watch this show but last night I was bored so I watch the wedding episode. I don't care about other peoples religious believes, that's their business. But I was wondering how old Anna is? She looks like she's only about 14 years old!

I think a lot of the old sterotypes thankfully no longer apply. Seems to be a much wider range of worship styles within the denominations than I remember as a child. I attend a Baptist church here in the south, and women hold positions in the church, speak before the congregation, pray and worship aloud during the service, often while wearing pants or jeans. Now, if someone's worship style/comfort level was much more conservative, there are still plenty of options out there. I don't know if the Duggers represent southern Baptists so much as they represent their own personal convictions (which I think a person could hold regardless of their denomination, if any).

And I've never understood the no dancing extreme either. My first two years of college were spent at a Baptist school, and there were frequent "foot functions" (dances) held off-campus. To my knowledge, none of them ended in wild orgies. So silly.

+ Reply to Thread