+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 226 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3265533;
    Paid??? Wow your kids were lucky. The only time I got paid for anything was if I wanted to buy something and something extra like really cleaning the basement was done.
    Some people just hand out allowances each week. We never did that. They earned their allowance. Some weeks they got more, some weeks almost nothing. That's what I call paying them. They had to learn to manage their money because next week they might need it.

JustJuls, let's hope they inherited their parents money making skills. By the time that half of them have borne a couple of baseball teams, the novelty may have worn off and they won't get any TV contracts or perks.
    Last edited by Muduh; 01-06-2009 at 03:47 PM.

My kids earns his allowance also. We pay him minimum wage. He is responsible for keeping track of the time it takes him to complete his chores and any extra chores he does for extra $. Teaches the value of money rather well. I don't think the Duggar's could afford to pay their kids anywhere close to that, since they spend virtually all day (the girls) doing laundry and cooking.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3263620;
    You're right they are Baptists, along with a touch of some religion that I'm not familiar with, evidently. And won't it be interesting if any of the kids ever get enough freedom to figure out that most families can all ride together in one regular sized car, and sit together at one restaurant table, and sleep together in one motel room if necessary? How many of them do you think will choose to live the way their parents did?
    Interesting you say that. When I was growing up, my parents were friends with 3 families. One had 9 kids, one had 8 kids and one had 7 kids. Out of all three families most of the older 3 or 4 kids have all chosen not to have kids of their own. Their reason: already raised kids-our siblings.

Our daughter does her own laundry and has since she was 10 and it was a girl scout badge project. She never got paid for doing chores because her father and I don't get paid for doing our chores. Everyone has to contribute to the running of the house and that means that you do your work for the good of the entire family. She did get an allowance and she did get paid for doing extras like washing the car. But her chores were her own laundry, own room and bath and emptying the dishwasher daily. She was also required to sweep and mop once a week. But as the kitchen floor was postage stamp size and the rest of the house was carpeted including the bathrooms (not our choice), it wasn't a huge job.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-06-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of my daughters girlfriends had two little brothers. She often had to miss doing things with kids her own age because she had to babysit. From the time she was fourteen she said she never wanted kids because she was already raising hers. I thought that was sad. She died in her late twenties and left no children.

Duggars in the news:
    Josh and Anna's wedding will kick off season 2 on Jan 25th.

Joshua Duggar & His New Wife Want a Big Family - Weddings : People.com
    CYA

You know, in this world of global warming and other bad issues, It becomes a bit morally reprehensible for people like the Duggars to keep propagating their line and then having their own children do the same. Its ridiculous.

The one thing that bugs me the most about the family is their extremely Pro-Puritanical the family is, especially in the way they raise their children when it comes to sexuality. The "first kiss" is at the wedding, give me a break. Did the parents wait until their wedding to kiss, I dont think so. If parents want to believe a certain way, so be it, but let their children have the freedom to choose their own path in life. Being kissed isnt a sin, it wont make the child go to hell. And sex isnt dirty either.

I dont know, something about how their teens are very "Stepford" teens really bothers me. I was a very good kid and a good teen, but when I was a teen, I was a teen, meaning learning to assert your own voice and separate from the parental units is HUGE. And their teens just dont do that, they arent allowed to. Its sad.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Amen.....to all of that! You don't have to be brought up like that to be a respectful and polite teen. Its all about the parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3272337;
    You know, in this world of global warming and other bad issues, It becomes a bit morally reprehensible for people like the Duggars to keep propagating their line and then having their own children do the same. Its ridiculous.
    Back in the 1800s, people had huge families of 14-20 kids all the time (though many never lived to adulthood). I see nothing wrong with it providing they're not living off the government.

I don't understand the 'morally reprehensible', though. Withholding federal money for a children's hospital in order to get a campaign gift is morally represensible. Killing a pregnant woman for her baby is morally represensible. Could you explain better for me? Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3272434;
    Back in the 1800s, people had huge families of 14-20 kids all the time (though many never lived to adulthood). I see nothing wrong with it providing they're not living off the government.

I don't understand the 'morally reprehensible', though. Withholding federal money for a children's hospital in order to get a campaign gift is morally represensible. Killing a pregnant woman for her baby is morally represensible. Could you explain better for me? Thanx!
    I understand what you're saying but would like to make a couple of points. Many years ago couples did have lots of kids. One reason was to have more farm hands but I'd be willing to bet that the other reason was lack of birth control. In this day and time, instead of having enough kids to field a couple of football teams, most farmers would just buy a tractor, or three or four. And I wouldn't doubt that they'd swing by the drug store to pick up birth control on their way back to the farm.

It has gotten to the point that I think the Duggars just like the attention they get when announcing another baby is on the way, or has arrived.

+ Reply to Thread