+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree351Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

The previews mentioned Jill may begin courting, too.
    remember to play

they probably feel like getting married is the only escape from that house where they work for free as unpaid servants and nannies raising the parents' children. God bless em, i hope they escape somehow. If they want to.
    Debb70 likes this.

It's actually Jinger who had a movement awhile ago called "Free Jinger." She seemed free spirited and the one that seemed to not buy into her family's mindset.

Just because a child isn't beaten with a wire hanger, doesn't mean they aren't being damaged. Psychological damage can come when children are treated like the Duggars. And while they may never rob a bank, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I grew up with kids raised like the Duggars. Some turned out seriously rebelling by running away, getting pregnant, doing drugs, stealing, fighting, etc. These are preacher's kids and the kids of seriously strict parents like JB and Michelle.

I can't wait until one day when one of the kids writes a real tell all about what really goes on in their home. I bet we would be surprised.

I think regardless of everything, these girls are very devout in their faith. They might want to break away but they also are very devoted to their faith and all it entails.
    NCLurker and captain like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It's actually Jinger who had a movement awhile ago called "Free Jinger." She seemed free spirited and the one that seemed to not buy into her family's mindset.

Just because a child isn't beaten with a wire hanger, doesn't mean they aren't being damaged. Psychological damage can come when children are treated like the Duggars. And while they may never rob a bank, you don't know what goes on behind closed doors. I grew up with kids raised like the Duggars. Some turned out seriously rebelling by running away, getting pregnant, doing drugs, stealing, fighting, etc. These are preacher's kids and the kids of seriously strict parents like JB and Michelle.

I can't wait until one day when one of the kids writes a real tell all about what really goes on in their home. I bet we would be surprised.
    I completely agree. I think there is a lot of dirt that is just waiting to be brought to light. I would love to see one of the girls, especially, break free without getting married and become a doctor or lawyer. That is one show I would watch. There is something just really disturbing about this family.

Because I grew up in the same faith as they have, I feel like I can relate to the kids. In this faith there are the biblical teachings that are consistent with most Christian faiths and then there is the huge control and dogma part of it. The rules override most everything else.

Some Independent Baptists consider many things a sin that most people would find ludicrous, such as choir robes, church bulletins, square dancing. Don't get me started, the list of sins is long and often nonsensicial. I'm not sure if the kids are able to know what they believe and what parts they may disagree with. You don't dare voice a different opinion, because it would be disrepectful to your parents. JB and Michelle are always giving the impression the adult kids have choices, but then later you see they really don't.

Females are not as valued as males in this faith. They can't pray aloud in church services, they can't hold office or do anything that would have dominion over a male. That's one reason they don't allow the females to work out of the house or allow them to attend school. Although, there are independent Baptist colleges such as Bob Jones University and Liberty University who have female students. I've never understood why JB and Michelle never wanted their kids to attend those schools. Granted Liberty has grown more liberal since founder Jerry Farwell died, but there are other very conservative schools such as Bob Jones.

It's a wonder the Duggar girls have any self confidence. In their family females basically are under the direction and supervision of their husband and/or their father at all times. They have babies and clean house, until they have older daugthers who can do it for them. lol

I'm not sure why the girls couldn't practice their faith while doing something besides running their mom's household.

If you choose that faith and lifestyle, then that's your business, but IMO, those kids never had that choice.

The highlight of the show was Ben saying he was attending community college. That's great.

Wow I nearly fell out of my chair when Ben said he's 18! In what world is that really mature enough to marry??? Haven't the Duggars said they do not help children financially once they are on their own? I suppose Jessa and Ben are a cute couple, but most of the time Jessa looks mortified at what is being filmed. Jim Bob is just plain ridiculous. No frontal hugs....good grief.

I enjoy the kids on this show. They all seem very articulate & for the most part well rounded, but these marriage rules are ridiculous.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

I'm not so sure about the kids being well rounded. I think they are stunted in some ways. They only get taught by family members and the times they have tried to demonstrate academic skills on air, it was embarrassing, as the kids were not able to read very well. Recall when they went to a radio station to appear in a program. It was a struggle. Poor kids.

Then when the older girls were talking about taking college classes online, they seemed overwhelmed, as if they didn't have the basics to help them do that. It wasn't their fault. Years ago they showed how Michelle focused on trips to dairy farms, firehouses and other field trips. She wasn't much on math and science. I guess she figured the kids would never need it.

Poor Michelle was so upset that a man had invented chess and it was too difficult for her female brain. Oh Michelle. You really can do something other than breed. I wish she would get some help.

I think the kids for the most part are pretty private. If you think about it, we don't see the moments that might embarrass a kid (ala Gosselin), so I think Jessa is just not used to so much focus just on her. She is a gorgeous girl and I think Ben is REALLY into her.

Btw, I don't get chess either, my son and DH do. Its not to say a woman can't get it, but I do see more guys playing it (chess club at my library that I work at).

I will say that Jill and Derrick seem really good together, not even having met. They seem to share the same passions.

+ Reply to Thread