+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I grew up in a Fundamental church. It was an Independent Baptist and their beliefs are very similar to the Duggars. About the only difference is that the group we were in didn't promote huge families. Anna and Josh were married in an Independent Baptist Church. I looked it up once. They go for all the Duggar rules, separation from the world, narrow minded, no focus on education, no encouragement for females to excel, men rule, etc.

I still have family who are in that church, although some of them have evolved, but not much. They do not believe in saving the planet by recycling. I think it has to do with what they think the Bible says about earth in the end of time. They don't believe in global warming either. So, using all the earth's resouces is not a problem for them. This is from my own knowledge and experience with these people.
    maude~flanders likes this.

It must be nice to choose to be so ignorant to the earth's needs. *sigh*
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I grew up in a Fundamental church. It was an Independent Baptist and their beliefs are very similar to the Duggars. About the only difference is that the group we were in didn't promote huge families. Anna and Josh were married in an Independent Baptist Church. I looked it up once. They go for all the Duggar rules, separation from the world, narrow minded, no focus on education, no encouragement for females to excel, men rule, etc.

I still have family who are in that church, although some of them have evolved, but not much. They do not believe in saving the planet by recycling. I think it has to do with what they think the Bible says about earth in the end of time. They don't believe in global warming either. So, using all the earth's resouces is not a problem for them. This is from my own knowledge and experience with these people.
    I've also been in this world, firsthand experience. We actually went to a church where the same things were taught as the Duggars. We had to get out when they started preaching that educating your daughters is optional because they were created for breeding. Getting out was like leaving a cult - very messy!

I could tell stories forever that would surprise the crap out of most of you, but that's not what this thread is about....

My point is that Deb is totally right about their attitude about the environment. There is a huge distrust and even anger towards environmentalists. It seemed so strange to me because if God created the earth and all the creatures in it, wouldn't He want us to respect it and take care of it? The first job He gave to humans is to be caretakers of the earth. So, it doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, we have seen the Duggars take an interest in organic gardening and they shop second-hand stores. But, I don't think it is environmentally motivated - more to save money.

They started their new season last night. I haven't watched the entire thing and don't know that I will. I'm not opposed to courting. I actually think it's not a bad option, but the way Jim Bob and Michelle went about it was so bizarre and pathetic, that I could barely watch. Their conduct was cringe worthy. Their daughter, Jessa, who is courting, is more mature than they are.

I thought for the most part it was okay, but they seemed to take great delight in teasing Jessa and Ben (is that his name?????). I'm fine with the courting, I'm fine with them wanting to know more about him etc... but they acted like teenagers at some points.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 04-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

For one thing they have changed their story about kissing and holding hands. In previous seasons they claimed that kissing, handholding and courting was the ADULT CHILD'S decision and not theirs. Last night, Michelle says, kissing and hand holding are NOT allowed. So I guess they weren't being honest with the first story or they changed their mind when one of the kids decided to use their own judgment and not follow their policy.

Even if you are enforcing a no hand holding policy, it's rather insulting to a 21 year old lady to be told by a parent to not hold your boyfriend's hand during a group prayer during grace! Those two must have a filthy mind. The way they pervert everything makes me wonder what they are so scared of. They seemed to try to make Jessa and the young man feel like a third grader. How childish.

Then there is John David who seems to taunt Jana for being unmarried at age 24! What a creep. They really do need to educate themselves.

At least this new young man courting Jessa is attending school! That's a plus. My his mom looks young. The young man seems a little immature for marriage. I think Jessa is just so desperate to escape that house.

Wiki is now reporting that the Duggars are indeed fundamental Independent Baptists. I have believed that for years, since that is how I was brought up after age 10. I really feel sorry for those kids. I won't go into the details, but it's a sad situation. The church has evolved some over the years, but still....it's oppressive.

19 Kids and Counting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

could be there is a different set of courting rules for boys & girls. Personally I rather the courting than watching the world explode with teen moms raising babies and living like they are entitled. The Duggars are harmless call me when one is caught robbing a bank or dancing on tabletops in a strip club!lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I thought Jim Bob sounded surprised that they were not going to hold hands.
    There's no place like home!

I seem to remember the Bates girl saying her and her fiance wouldn't hold hands and how that was such a big deal and not the norm. Probably, like any young girl, Jessa is taking up the new trend.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Poor Jessa. Wasn't she the cute one who everybody said seemed spirited a few long years ago?

Did Daddy Duggar pick out the boy? He had to have, right? Isn't that how it works? Are none of the other girls courting? What about the boys?

Can't usually stomach the show. Makes me go to sleep.

+ Reply to Thread