+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

I have no opinion one way or the other, but there are studies showing that homeschoolers participating in a structured curriculum do better on standardized tests than those educated in traditional school settings. I have known people who homeschooled their children, and those children did attend and graduate from college. My kids went to a private Christian school from junior high through senior high. Neither went to college, but both are in good jobs.

At some point people need to decide for themselves whether to pursue higher education. I was brought up in a home that did not promote higher education, and married right out of high school. I didn't go to college until I was in my 30s. It was my choice to go at that time.

As long as the Duggars aren't living on welfare and not teaching their kids that living on the dole is the way to go, I don't care whether they go to college or not. Their choices don't affect me.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I have no opinion one way or the other, but there are studies showing that homeschoolers participating in a structured curriculum do better on standardized tests than those educated in traditional school settings. I have known people who homeschooled their children, and those children did attend and graduate from college. My kids went to a private Christian school from junior high through senior high. Neither went to college, but both are in good jobs.
    Agreed, and I wasn't meaning to question whether they (or any home schooled kids) have the ability to do well in college. I just didn't know what the mechanics of getting a home schooled kid into college would be without an actual "you finished high school" certification from someone.

^PIMguy, I think colleges might look at how those students performed on yearly standardized testing, and also give a lot of weight to their ACT or SAT scores. I have a friend who home-schools her 7 kids, and her oldest entered a state university in the honors program and is now working on her master's in engineering. There are some very academic home-school programs out there -- not all are like the program the Duggars use (although, I agree with what AZChristian said, and don't mean to knock the Duggar family's choices).
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

My daughter was very involved in music including All-State Orchestra. She was telling me her last year there they went around asking the students to tell where they went to school and their plans for college. A large percentage were homeschooled and of them, many were accepted to schools like MIT and Harvard. She was totally convinced the the smartest kids are often homeschooled. Homeschooling, in itself, can be a very good option. I think its success has more to do with the program used and the dilligence of the parent(s) overseeing.

I am usually pretty defensive of the Duggars. I have had many customers over the years who share their beliefs who are happy, and very nice people. In many cases, the daughters are more conservative than their parents! But one thing that drives me CRAZY is when I hear very poor grammer from Michelle. You can't teach when you don't know any better yourself! (Of course I also know that in many schools, certified teachers also use poor grammer!)
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post

I am usually pretty defensive of the Duggars. I have had many customers over the years who share their beliefs who are happy, and very nice people. In many cases, the daughters are more conservative than their parents! But one thing that drives me CRAZY is when I hear very poor grammer from Michelle. You can't teach when you don't know any better yourself! (Of course I also know that in many schools, certified teachers also use poor grammer!)
    I work at a fairly large library with a booming city population.... we have a board member (elected) who says "libarry". I can't stand that.
    nanarama likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

My grandfather was a newspaper editor and handed down his strict standards of grammer to my father. We all slip at times (well, except perhaps, my father) but when I hear Michelle ALWAYS using "I" and "me" incorrectly, I want to scream! I was taught that all you have to do is to take the other person out of the sentence and the correct pronoun is obvious. You wouldn't say, "Me went to the store." Or, "It was too hot for I."

Other than that, I mostly enjoy their family dynamic and I don't see the girls being repressed. I think they are happy with their lives.

Say what we will about the Duggar family, they must be doing something right. Not one of their children are on drugs, pregnant at 16, or running wild. Maybe the rest of society should take a step back and change their ways some. But I still think some day a book will be written and there will be a scandal.
    nanarama likes this.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Say what we will about the Duggar family, they must be doing something right. Not one of their children are on drugs, pregnant at 16, or running wild. Maybe the rest of society should take a step back and change their ways some. But I still think some day a book will be written and there will be a scandal.
    they are really nice kids, I give them that, but Jim Bob and Michelle seem like nice people too.
    nennie likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I was talking to a friend who lives in Kansas, in that state they have no rules or regulations on home schooling. I hope it's. to that way in Arkansas
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wow, I posted a few pages ago about the DUGGAR girls attending college and looks like it has generated so many pages of posts!!! Good!!!

MY opinion on all this is I just feel that the girls should go to college. They appear to me to all be very intelligent, responsible, mature, friendly, lovely young ladies and I think they would so THRIVE in college and LOVE everything
    that comes with attending college and looking to a career for themselves.

My DS #1's gf is a Nurse Practitioner and working in the Bone Marrow Transplant dept at USC Med Ctr. My DS #2's gf is finishing her 3rd year of law school. They LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about their careers. Going out to dinner with them over and over again just amazes and marvels my DH and I as we have these wonderful conversations with them either about the medical field or the laws of the land.

And I think of these lovely Duggar girls who remind me so much of our Kristin and our Kaitlin and I could so easily see anyone of the Duggars as a physician or an attorney or a teacher or a nurse.

But to think that they will not further their educations beyond high school (in this day and age) is to me VERY VERY SAD.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread