+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I recall that at least one of them voiced some interest in becoming a midwife awhile ago when Anna had her first child. I'm not sure if they ever followed through.

Most professions require some education and training that the Duggar lifestyle does not mesh with, so I wonder if that was the problem. I think John David was making it as a tow truck driver. I don't know of any other careers with the kids, except for the Used Car Business that Josh has.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

The last episode I saw, one of the girls (maybe Jessa?) was talking about getting a speeding ticket on her way to a birth as "she is training to be a widwife." J
    I think that just because we don't see them doing things, doesn't mean they don't do them. I'm sure there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes we aren't aware of.

I do hope they are allowed some away from home educational and social activities. I pray that's the case.

I read that Jill is a lay midwife. I don't know the details, but she is listed on the Arkansas directory for lay midwives. It's a government site, but I don't want to post it since it has her home address, phone number, etc. It also lists the person she is working under.

I have a question let me state I have seen maybe 5 episodes of this show in all the seasons its been on.

ARE ANY OF THE DUGGAR GIRLS GOING TO COLLEGE?
    KAREN

FORT Fan

I was impressed with Joy being a Midwife or training to become one. Until I looked up the term Lay Midwife. A little scary to me:

Lay Midwife
    The term "Lay Midwife" has been used to designate an uncertified or unlicensed midwife who was educated through informal routes such as self-study or apprenticeship rather than through a formal program. This term does not necessarily mean a low level of education, just that the midwife either chose not to become certified or licensed, or there was no certification available for her type of education (as was the fact before the Certified Professional Midwife credential was available). Other similar terms to describe uncertified or unlicensed midwives are traditional midwife, traditional birth attendant, granny midwife and independent midwife.
    Debb70 likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

None of these children have gone on to college. It's a shame because they are bright, and could offer more to their community with some education. Especially considering that several of them have interests in the medical field.
    momrek06 and Debb70 like this.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds78 View Post
    I was impressed with Joy being a Midwife or training to become one. Until I looked up the term Lay Midwife. A little scary to me:

Lay Midwife
    The term "Lay Midwife" has been used to designate an uncertified or unlicensed midwife who was educated through informal routes such as self-study or apprenticeship rather than through a formal program. This term does not necessarily mean a low level of education, just that the midwife either chose not to become certified or licensed, or there was no certification available for her type of education (as was the fact before the Certified Professional Midwife credential was available). Other similar terms to describe uncertified or unlicensed midwives are traditional midwife, traditional birth attendant, granny midwife and independent midwife.
    Hey, look at me. I'm a Lay Lawyer, and a Lay Doctor, and a Lay CPA! I have a question about the Duggar kids' education. Are they in a home school program that they will actually graduate(officially) from or do the Duggars just keep it going until the kids turn 18 and the state no longer cares? People keep asking if the kids want to pursue college. But my question is, given the type of education they are getting, CAN they pursue college? I suppose they can get a GED.

I'm not an authority on homeschooling, but, I know some people who did graduate from homeschool. Most of them just go to work and others go to a community college and take classes that will prepare them for an actual 4 year college. I've never heard of anyone going straight into a 4 year college or university from homeschooling, but I have heard that most colleges do make provisions for them and they are accepted. I guess it depends on the school. I'm sure there are others on these boards who know much more about this.

I guess this nonchalant attitude about education is my biggest beef with the parents. It's a shame, however, I grew up in a home that did not promote higher education. Good grades through high school were encouraged, but that was it. Because I was an avid reader, I saw the importance myself and pushed myself in that direction. I worked and financed it myself with scholarships, grants, and loans. It took awhile, but I learned some valuable lessons.

I think that perhaps I had more freedom than most of the Duggar kids,(though I too, was raised in a very strict religious environment, much like the Duggars) but still.....I wish they would venture out and become adults.

I've heard the parents say on camera that they would not prohibit their child from attending college, but IMO that says a lot about them. Really? Out of all their college age kids, they have not seen it appropriate for even one of them to attend a college or even take classes at a community college? It really boggles the mind.

I heard a couple of the daughters mention on-line classes once. Maybe they are attending college online. I'm sure that would be easy to do after you cook and clean house for a family of 20.
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.

FORT Fan

I think Joy has done well considering Jim-Bob won't let the girls leave the house to go to college. She obviously has found a way around it and has at least tried to do something to give herself some kind of job.

+ Reply to Thread