+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 226 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Ah thanks hutch, lol! Yeah I know like the first 3 or 4, I know some of the other names but not the order

luvsginger: shouldn't your name be spelled "luvsjinger"?

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3262924;
    luvsginger: shouldn't your name be spelled "luvsjinger"?
    LOL!! I should put in a request to have it formally changed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3261548;
    Right. But how much time do you think Michelle has for each child daily? Like on an individual basis. It can't be much.
    I believe they actually have sign up sheets for individual time with mom. A strange family for sure! I feel sorry for the older children who are put in the position to 'parent' their younger siblings. They all have specific chores, such as washing the clothes, etc. Kids need a chance to be kids. I realize that this is their type of normal, but we'll just have to see who is/are the break-out child/ren who need a taste of the world's normal. I absolutely believe that all children should contribute to the household by doing chores, however, when there are 20 people in the home, those chores no longer are simple and can become a full-time job!
    They make Jon & Kate look like babysitters! We need them back!

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3259508;
    It is pronounced like "Ginger"... probably would have been more consistent to go ahead and change both g's and spell it Jinjer, huh?
    You'd think that! I can't help that everytime I see Jinger, my first instinct is to rhyme it with Finger! Good thing they're home schooled. Little girls are sensitive...there would be potential for tears on the playground over that issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;3257544;
    The Duggars are Pentacostal. It is frowned upon for women to wear pants and makeup. And most often, the women do not cut their hair.
    Actually if you read on their website it states they are Baptist but choose to be more conservative.
    "It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for someone you are not"

You're right they are Baptists, along with a touch of some religion that I'm not familiar with, evidently. And won't it be interesting if any of the kids ever get enough freedom to figure out that most families can all ride together in one regular sized car, and sit together at one restaurant table, and sleep together in one motel room if necessary? How many of them do you think will choose to live the way their parents did?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3263620;
    You're right they are Baptists, along with a touch of some religion that I'm not familiar with, evidently. And won't it be interesting if any of the kids ever get enough freedom to figure out that most families can all ride together in one regular sized car, and sit together at one restaurant table, and sleep together in one motel room if necessary? How many of them do you think will choose to live the way their parents did?
    Considering neither set of grandparents nor any cousins have their same lifestyle I'd wager a guess that they already know other families live differently. They seem quite close to their cousin Amy who obviously doesn't follow their religion so I doubt their exposure to other lifestyles is as sheltered as it seems.

The older boys work in the 'real' world, the school-age kids are taken on field trips out to the 'real' world. In my opinion, other than their size, the Duggars aren't that much different - most parents chose a specific way of life for their family and expect their kids to live it. The Duggars just chose a more conservative life than the mainstream.

As for kids raising kids, I don't see a problem with expecting each member of the family to pull their own weight, or to put the needs of their family above their own. To be honest I think if every family followed that philosophy we'd have a much nicer world.

From the specials & episodes shown so far I've seen kids being kids, the only difference is the teenagers are far more respectful and helpful than others their age. What a shame

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;3263893;
    As for kids raising kids, I don't see a problem with expecting each member of the family to pull their own weight, or to put the needs of their family above their own. To be honest I think if every family followed that philosophy we'd have a much nicer world.
    I don't see a problem with pulling your own weight either....but not "kids raising kids" like you said. Two totally different things. I pulled my own weight in my family....I did chores, I watched my younger brother when my parents went out to dinner once in awhile, I got a job at 14 and had my own spending money. But I didn't do the laundry for 20 people, or cook dinner for 20 people, or clean the entire house, or homeschool my younger brother and care for him like I was his mother. I think its good to teach children responsibility....but I also think its good to let kids be kids....teenagers be teenagers. There is all the time in the world to be an adult and have those big responsibilities of children and housework.

JustJuls - It sounds like your parents had their priorities straight and did a great job parenting you. I read that many kids that have grown up being affluent are now learning how to cut back. I wonder what that mean? Second hand Gucci bags, trade in the BMW's for a used car, flying business instead of first class and rescue dogs instead of the expensive little designer dog as an "accessories".

+ Reply to Thread