+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I was surprised to find this on the oldest son. Shame the girls can't do more. Isn't one of the Duggar girls a volunteer firefighter or something?

Zach Bates Bio Page

Apparently he is the youngest person ever elected.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The discovery that the unborn baby has died airs tonight. I haven't watched this season. I think I will skip this episode too. It's the finale.

The Clicker - '19 Kids & Counting' episode shows Duggars' heartbreak over ultrasound

FORT Fan

I'm skipping it too. Some things should be sacred.

I did watch it and I teared up in several spots.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I thought the episode was tastefully done.
    It dragged a little for me with too long a speach by Michelle, but that was just my personal feeling. I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I do bellieve the Duggars truly love their children and strive to be good parents. No one is perfect, but many people today could follow their example of patience and efforts to spend time with their family. Many of us with far fewer kids don't spend that much quality time with them.
    Again, I don't agree with all their beliefs and I know how easy it is to arm-chair diagnose and criticize and that's part of the purpose of this forum. By being on a reality show, they are certainly "fair game" for us all, but I personally just don't feel that they are bad people.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I don't believe the Duggars are "bad" people. Just bad parents. At least, bad parents to children who will grow up and live in the "normal" world. Given their woeful lack of education, those kids start adult life handicapped.

However, if I were to think that they are NOT raising their children to be part of society, in general, much in the way that Amish parents raise their kids - my opinion of them would be different. They would be living "in the world and not of it."
    sclilred1 and Debb70 like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I think that Michelle and Jim Bob's judgment is impaired when it comes to their kids. THey can't see the reality of the situation. They think it's normal to have their older daughters pack, carry and care for their little kids whenever they travel or need to go shopping or just handle them on a day to day basis.

Michelle walks ahead of them smiling and so happy, with her older girls bringing up the back with carrying seats, kids, diaper bags, etc. On vacation the older girls forego activities so they can care for the little kids. This is not right IMO. If you have so many kids that you and your spouse cannot get them all into a vehicle, buckled in, and carry them somewhere together without an entourage, then you have overstepped your abilities. It's not the siblings job to raise the kids, it's your job as a parent.

Michelle and Jim Bob seem to have no issue with this. They have done it so long that they don't recognize how unfair it is. If those older girls walked out, Michelle and Jim Bob would have an immediate emergency. They would not be able to do make a move without family, friends or professional help stepping in. I don't consider that great parenting. PLUS the toddlers bond with the sister as their parent, not their actual parents.

If someone is so obsessed with cats that they have 80 of them in a 2 bedroom apt., you will never convince them that they have too many to properly care for them. They love the cats, but do they really have the cats welfare in mind? I see the Duggars in a very similar way when it comes to their kids.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think that Michelle and Jim Bob's judgment is impaired when it comes to their kids. THey can't see the reality of the situation. They think it's normal to have their older daughters pack, carry and care for their little kids whenever they travel or need to go shopping or just handle them on a day to day basis.

Michelle walks ahead of them smiling and so happy, with her older girls bringing up the back with carrying seats, kids, diaper bags, etc. On vacation the older girls forego activities so they can care for the little kids. This is not right IMO. If you have so many kids that you and your spouse cannot get them all into a vehicle, buckled in, and carry them somewhere together without an entourage, then you have overstepped your abilities. It's not the siblings job to raise the kids, it's your job as a parent.

Michelle and Jim Bob seem to have no issue with this. They have done it so long that they don't recognize how unfair it is. If those older girls walked out, Michelle and Jim Bob would have an immediate emergency. They would not be able to do make a move without family, friends or professional help stepping in. I don't consider that great parenting. PLUS the toddlers bond with the sister as their parent, not their actual parents.

If someone is so obsessed with cats that they have 80 of them in a 2 bedroom apt., you will never convince them that they have too many to properly care for them. They love the cats, but do they really have the cats welfare in mind? I see the Duggars in a very similar way when it comes to their kids.
    Well said.
    sclilred1 likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

An article about how the Duggars have been able to live debt-free, with no government money, even before the show started:

How the Duggars Support 19 Kids and Live Debt-Free | Financially Fit - Yahoo! Shine

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I read some time ago that the Duggars took the legal steps to have their home exempted from property taxes as a church. If true, I think that counts as a government handout since it's obviously not a church, but that's just my opinion. Also, I understand that TLC coordinated the donation of labor and materials for the building of their current home and picked up the balance of construction costs. While that's not government funding, it's still a big fat freebie.

You cannot fault them for playing the system or capitalizing on TV fame. Nevertheless, they are not exemplary of a normal family making judicious financial decisions. They have a lot of help.
    PIMguy, Allie, tapper01 and 1 others like this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread