+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Very sad. After she miscarried due to birth control (in her opinion) she took it as a sign from God. Having an extreme premie, and now a miscarriage may also be a sign, no? We'll see but I doubt it. And to be clear, I wouldn't wish this sadness on anyone, and I am truly sorry for their loss.

I agree with many of the posts upthread about Michelle giving up on any more pregnancies, however, I'm not so sure it's that simple for her. It's not that she just wants more kids and enjoys being pregnant. Being pregnant and holding a newborn in her arms is HER SOLE FOCUS in life. If you have watched their show since the beginning, then you know what I am talking about. Her obsession with gaining attention is so overwhelming that she just can't turn it off, IMO. I'm not a professional, but I have heard professional mental health providers comment on conduct like Michelle's.

I think she will have a VERY difficult time giving up pregnancies. I wish her all the best as she comes to terms with what the reality of the situation may be. I do not believe she would listen to any doctor who would tell her the risks are too high. I think she would go to any length to get pregnant again and we may just be back on this board within the next year to see that she is trying again.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile View Post
    Very sad. After she miscarried due to birth control (in her opinion) she took it as a sign from God. Having an extreme premie, and now a miscarriage may also be a sign, no? We'll see but I doubt it. And to be clear, I wouldn't wish this sadness on anyone, and I am truly sorry for their loss.
    I just don't think they will see this as a sign from God. I hope they do. She is a nice woman, I would hate to see her pass away.
    ness and maude~flanders like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think she will have a VERY difficult time giving up pregnancies. I wish her all the best as she comes to terms with what the reality of the situation may be. I do not believe she would listen to any doctor who would tell her the risks are too high. I think she would go to any length to get pregnant again and we may just be back on this board within the next year to see that she is trying again.
    I think her need to be either pregnant or just had a baby may have something to do with her religion. This could be totally off-base, but I have kind of a theory.

It seems that in the Quiverfull religion, women are only treated with anything resembling respect if they are pregnant or caring for an infant. At all other times their lives seem to consist solely of revolving around the needs of the man. However, when they are pregnant or have just had a baby, then the household revolves more around them, or they at least get equal consideration with the male. I think that maybe her constant stream of pregnancies gets her more gratifying attention than she would be able to get in any other way within their religion.

Positive feedback is a basic human need - we all search for it. Women in the quiverfull religion do so much work for their families and get little to no positive reward. It's prescribed by their religion, in fact, that they do everything for their husband and respect little to nothing in return.
    Debb70 likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

That would make sense in many of these families, but it seems like Michelle is very highly regarded in her family, and by her husband. In the last episode, he was talking about how Michelle pretty much calls the shots. I found that interesting. He does seem a little bit like the comic relief in the house and I have noticed that the girls always make little jokes about him and his silliness. He has really evolved into the "Oh, my silly dad" role in the last few years, while Michelle has become more and more the leader of the household.

Did anyone see the episode where Michelle was water skiing? She was determined to get up on the ski's and everyone had to wait while she took 10 tries to get it. She did eventually get up on the ski's and the rest of the family didn't. It was also funny how she asked the production people to block out her thighs because she wanted to preserve her modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    That would make sense in many of these families, but it seems like Michelle is very highly regarded in her family, and by her husband. In the last episode, he was talking about how Michelle pretty much calls the shots. I found that interesting. He does seem a little bit like the comic relief in the house and I have noticed that the girls always make little jokes about him and his silliness. He has really evolved into the "Oh, my silly dad" role in the last few years, while Michelle has become more and more the leader of the household.

Did anyone see the episode where Michelle was water skiing? She was determined to get up on the ski's and everyone had to wait while she took 10 tries to get it. She did eventually get up on the ski's and the rest of the family didn't. It was also funny how she asked the production people to block out her thighs because she wanted to preserve her modesty.
    I agree, she comes off as the sensible, calm one more then Jim Bob does. Not that he comes off bad, but she seems more of the voice of reason for everyone.

I also was impressed with her watersking. I think if she was some neglected milksop she wouldn't have been out there having a good time. And Jim seemed to glow when he spoke of how atheltic she is.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

Michelle Duggar Miscarriage, Jim Bob Duggar Set Memorial Service : People.com

After suffering the miscarriage of their 20th child, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar will hold a memorial service on Wednesday, Dec. 14, for the baby girl they have named Jubilee Shalom Duggar.

The reality TV stars of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting had discovered on Thursday at a routine ultrasound appointment that their 20th child, due next April, no longer had a heartbeat. Advised by her doctor to let the miscarriage occur naturally, Michelle, 45, was being cared for at home by her family.

Following the miscarriage late Sunday night, Michelle began to feel lightheaded and as a precaution was taken to the hospital, where she was kept for observation, according to a family spokesperson. Michelle is recovering well and expected to return home later on Monday, the spokesperson adds.

"We have had many tears today," says Jim Bob Duggar, 46. "This is life, and I understand that we are going though something that many others have. You think about the what-ifs, but God gives us strength to go on. We won't be able to see this child's life and the phases that we've seen for our other children, but we know we will see this child in heaven one day. We are thankful for each child, and we are blessed to have the children we have here and the ones we will meet someday in heaven."

Jubilee Duggar's memorial service will be for friends and Duggar family members, who on late Sunday already held a private service in their home.

"We would like to thank everyone for their prayers, emails and outpouring of love," Jim Bob wrote in a letter he shared with PEOPLE. "As our whole family is grieving, we also know that God promises to work all things for good in our lives. Our prayer is that Jubilee's passing will help us all realize that this life is short, and our relationship with Jesus is the most important thing. He gives us a peace in our hearts as He guides us through whatever we might face."

Though the family is in mourning, Jim Bob says they are grateful for the health of youngest daughter, Josie, who turned 2 on Dec. 10. Josie survived against all odds after being born at just 25 weeks and 1 lb., 6 oz. and has developed normally with no lasting impairments.

"We were looking forward to this birthday because it is a milestone for her," he says. "It is wonderful that she is with us and doing so well."

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post

Yes, I recall that episode of Michelle skiing. She talked about how she participated in lots of water sports when she was growing up, something her children have never been allowed to do.

FORT Fogey

I just do not agree with anyone having this many children when we are so overpopulated and so many suffer. I find it to be so horrid for the children to be just a number and than a worker when they are so young. I try and respect everyone's rights, but to me it is just silly to have so many children.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

So I'm ignorant of their philosophy on this issue. Do they believe that God will give them a sign that they shouldn't have anymore babies, and they will take specific actions to avoid pregnancy? Or do they believe that the only sign is when Michelle no longer gets pregnant despite their best efforts? Given the last two pregnancies I think a logical person would argue that they have been given the sign (by God, or nature, or whatever) that Michelle's ability to have a normal pregnancy and birth has been compromised, and further pregnancies could be dangerous to her health and the health of the baby. But if they don't believe in birth control or abstinence, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of certain dangers, then I guess we'll be seeing a "surprise" announcement on the Today show soon.
    ButterflyFaery and Debb70 like this.

+ Reply to Thread