+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree519Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Thank you for that Poppy.

While the Duggars may not use violence as punishment, I'm willing to bet they are willing to use it to "train" their children.
    Last edited by tears.and.rain; 11-13-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Reading that, I assumed that the "hitting" wasn't severe, just enough to keep them from getting the doll. But the hitting is not the point....
    ITA. It's about making a child completely submissive to your will - even when they grow well beyond the age of reason. It impedes a young person's ability to form their own opinions and values, as well as weakens their capability to make decisions their parents would not approve of. I see it as a form of mind control as much as anything else.

FORT Newbie

For what it's worth, Michelle actually addressed blanket training in a recent show. According to her, hitting isn't involved, but positive reinforcement. There are special blanket time toys the kids only get to play w/ while on the blanket. I hope this is true. I hope they don't spank their kids to break their wills. They were actually asked about and answered this recently. Most telling was their non-answer. They didn't ever come out and say they didn't lose it on their kids; only that that was on of their biggest challenges.

I learned a lot about their lifestyle from No Longer Quivering, and while I trust (hope) that the Duggars aren't that extreme, it was eye-opening.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Before following the Duggars thread here I had never heard of the cults described below. After reading about (and then researching them thoroughly), I think it's obvious that the Duggars espouse them and their teachings, including the methods of training babies to be obedient. The women in these cults are actually proud that they don't need playpens. They put the baby on a blanket on the ground, and the baby stays PUT on that blanket, just as he/she has been trained to do. The hand slapping "selflessness" training I described earlier is from "No Greater Joy."

"Training does not necessarily require that the trainee be capable of reason…”[Pearl & Pearl, Chapter 1.]
    "To Train Up A Child," a book which Michelle has used and recommended. Trust me - if corporal punishment isn't something you are heavily invested in, this book will literally make you sick.

While I've never been to the Duggars' home, and while I doubt that TLC would ever film such practices, I believe it's rational to conclude that the Duggars embrace this kind of training. They embrace absolutely everything else these cults espouse. It ensures that your children won't rebel in adolescence, and will cheerfuly obey your every rule.

There are a number of good educational sties to research these practices, and other practices of these cults. A good description of how this kind of "training" progresses from infancy to young adult can be found here:

Quiverfull Daughters: The Making of a Helpmeet « No Longer Quivering ca

You can start with the links on the Duggars own website if you are interested in reading further. Just follow their quick links tabs.

I include the following because it gives an overview of leadership and doctine:

The cult of the Quiverfull / ATI / Vision Forum movement, Duggars and all | Wide White

FYI: Bill Gothard and Michael Pearl have had a huge falling out and Michael Pearl has spoken out against Bill Gothard's methods.

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar: Miscarriage : People.com

A day of joyful anticipation has turned to anguish for Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.

At a routine check-up Thursday to find out the sex of their 20th child, their doctor was unable to find a heartbeat and told the couple they had miscarried in the second trimester.

"After the appointment, we came back home and told the children," says Michelle, 45.

"We had just been talking about baby names last night and they were getting excited about naming a boy or a girl. It has been a real sad disappointment."

She says the family will select a name after they know if the baby was a boy or girl, and then plan to have funeral service.

"I feel like my heart broke telling my children," says Michelle. "They have all been so excited about this baby and looking forward to April coming around and having a new little one in our arms. That was the most difficult. The Lord is the giver of life and he can choose when that life is ready to go on and be with Him."

The stars of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting previously weathered a medical ordeal with their youngest daughter, Josie, who was born in December 2009.

This was their second miscarriage; Michelle lost her baby during her second pregnancy. She was taking oral birth control at the time and cites this as one reason the couple together decided to leave the number of children they have "up to God."
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm not surprised by this news at all. I got pregnant in my 40's and miscarried, and I know several friends who also miscarried in their 40's, so I think it is pretty common. Things get riskier each time you get pregnant after 40 yrs old. She needs to stop and take this miscarriage as a sign, just like she took her first miscarriage as a sign, from God. This time He may be telling her that she is done and needs to stop trying to get pregnant. It is very obvious that she was trying very hard to get pregnant with this 20th child. She had been dieting and working out to get herself in shape so that it would work out. She's 45, has a husband who loves her, 19 children who are healthy, and a successful television show. She needs to be grateful for what she has and stop trying to get "more".
    pikachu, ness, libgirl2 and 5 others like this.

I am really sorry she lost the baby and I will have her in my prayers...but the older you get the harder it is to maintain a full term pregnancy and lots of women over 40 suffer miscarriges...she is 45 years old and even though it is not up to me to judge I think she should thank god for the children she has and enjoy them and realize that the season of her life for bearing children is coming to an end...having a miscarriage can take an emotional toll on some women so I hope she takes time to grieve and not jump back into trying to have another one...on another note I really and truly thought that the hospital bills from all the time that Josie spent in the NICU would deter them for trying to have another one...haveing a child in the NICU i snot cheap by any means we are talking in the 100 thousands of dollars
    ness, maude~flanders and nennie like this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I feel very sad for the Duggars on the loss of their baby.

And I absolutely agree with maude's and Butterfly's posts.
    maude~flanders likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

My heart goes out to them on this miscarriage but I really think her body is telling her to stop. Hope she listens. The risks for downs syndrome are so much greater now and to me it is time to focus on the rest of her children. If she continues trying to have children I think she needs to be psychologically evaluated as to what the obsession is. I like the Duggar's but sometimes enough is enough.
    maude~flanders likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I think God (and her body) is saying no more. Will it stop her? I don't think so. Unless she miscarries again and nearly dies, maybe. Unless the doctor steps in and says she can't, maybe. I am very sorry for their loss. I am sure they are all hurting right now.
    ness, maude~flanders and Debb70 like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread