+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree349Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I missed most of the show, did anyone say how far along she is? I saw the part where JimBob showed a picture of something (could not see what it was) and said this is your mothers new baby (something like that)
    Baby is due in April - so she is out of the first trimester.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Unfortunately, captain, they don't - and sad that I know this. There was an episode when they were going through their birthing class and they were asked to speak a bit, since they had been through it so many times. JB was talking about one of the best things you can do for your wife is to "love on" her - followed by Michelle saying that sex close to the end is actually good and can help soften the lining, or something like that?
    I would think her lining would be soft enough by now.
    I think it's each woman's own decision whether or not to have children & how many they have, but something about this whole situation just doesn't sit right with me. Somewhere along the line it's just not healthy, either for the mother, the baby, or the rest of the family. There are birth control methods available that are acceptable to even the most strict religious views.
    I agree with those who think they are having children for the purpose of upping the numbers for the media, not because they want or need more children in their lives.
    What started out as a novelty about a family with a lot of kids has become uncomfortable & awkward.
    captain, march, FireWoman and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Unfortunately, captain, they don't - and sad that I know this. There was an episode when they were going through their birthing class and they were asked to speak a bit, since they had been through it so many times. JB was talking about one of the best things you can do for your wife is to "love on" her - followed by Michelle saying that sex close to the end is actually good and can help soften the lining, or something like that?
    To be so affectionate with each other, it's odd that they seem to carry very little of that affection to their own children, save the newborn. The newborn is worshipped, but then once it's sitting on it's own, it's passed off to an older sister. Michelle really has no attachment to the babies past a certain age. Josie kept it longer, since she was a preemie and looks younger than she is.

FORT Fogey

As I don't watch this show, but have seen an episode when it was 18 and counting.... do any of the children go off to college? I find it odd that they keep having kids..... is it the pregnancy and baby stage of the parenting that they only like? Are they involved and present parents in all their kids' lives? sorry for the questions, but it seems odd to me.... I actually love the age from 6mo onward.... so many fun stages to enjoy every step of the way.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I read a few years back that 2 of the kids (Josh and Anna) had signed up for the College Plus! program, which is an alternative method of purusing a degree. Basically, you earn up to 90 credits from various sources (including online programs), then enroll in a school to complete a bachelor's degree. Josh said he wanted to be a lawyer, and Anna wanted to be a nurse. I haven't read or heard whether or not they are still trying to do this. Part of the program, for many kids, is getting a GED first if they have no HS diploma issued by a public or private school.

As to being involved in all of their kids lives in a hands-on and "present" way, I think that's impossible. There are just too many. As one of 11 kids, I know first hand that parents' time goes individually to the kids most in need of it. There are, though, many benefits that can come along with having lots of siblings.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    As to being involved in all of their kids lives in a hands-on and "present" way, I think that's impossible. There are just too many. As one of 11 kids, I know first hand that parents' time goes individually to the kids most in need of it. There are, though, many benefits that can come along with having lots of siblings.
    As an only child, I wish I had a few siblings. Not sure if 19 would be the answer, but I do think it builds a somewhat team spirit within the family.It also brings a lot of work and yes, you can't focus on each child all the time, but I don't think the children are neglected. They are healthy, seem happy and always together. There are a lot worse things out there. I am sure there are kids who wish they lived in a family like theirs if only to surrounded by the love and support. And as I read somewhere, they pay there own way and ultimately it's Michelle's body.
    nennie, nanarama and AZChristian like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Update on career planning:

The Duggar sons are expected to follow this line of thinking in their own careers. To date 3 sons are now done with their “education,” have a GED and are in business. Josh, following in his father’s footsteps, has a used car lot. John David, again in his father’s footsteps, has a towing business. Joseph, who is currently at the family home with elder brother John, has not been identified as having his own business but is said to be helping John. To mainstream America, these boys are not educated to the point of having a job at much more than McDonalds. In fact you cannot even enlist in the U.S.Marine Corps with a GED! But in Quiverfull families, this is normal.

The Duggar friends all have similar business—the Stanleys have a construction company, the Bates own a tree service company, the Maxwells have a family business producing materials for family scheduling. In their book, the Duggars provide mere lip-service to the idea that their children could realistically aspire to more:

“If one of our children is called to a specialized field, such as medicine, we will help him or her prepare for it. But our main educational goal is to give them as much knowledge and as many skills as possible to prepare them for adult life. While we value academics, we also want to prepare them to run a household or support a family with skills such as cooking, sewing, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, money managing, negotiating, and sales experience.”

The Duggar daughters have been shown via the Discovery Health Channel’s web site to have career goals. The joke is on the readers however, as each girl has chosen a Gothard-approved goal like nurse, midwife, missionary, beautician. Helpfully, ATI [fundmentalist patriarchal Christian movement] has training programs in each of these areas. The Duggars also have shown how they teach the girls to change the oil in the car or change a flat tire as well as showing the boys learning to cook or doing some housework. This particular episode of the show seemed hopelessly “staged.” Especially when the girls were shown in the garage learning about the car—all while little Johanna toddled about in such an inappropriate setting.
    NLQ FAQ: Are Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar “Quiverfull”? « NO LONGER QIVERING

It seems that by the time a Duggar kid reaches adulthood, he/she has a strong work ethic, is poised and respectful in dealing with others, knows how to run a household with financial discipline, and has a heart for volunteering and service. I find that admirable and commendable.
    nennie and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70 View Post
    As I don't watch this show, but have seen an episode when it was 18 and counting.... do any of the children go off to college? I find it odd that they keep having kids..... is it the pregnancy and baby stage of the parenting that they only like? Are they involved and present parents in all their kids' lives? sorry for the questions, but it seems odd to me.... I actually love the age from 6mo onward.... so many fun stages to enjoy every step of the way.
    Michelle and Jim Bob have addressed the college issue on their show. They pay a college education lip service, but they don't actually promote or encourage it. They actually hinder it, because they provide such a basic and inadequate home school education, that those kids would find it very difficult to get into a college. They boast how they focus on the basics, reading, writing and basic math. Over the years I have watched their home school demonstrations and it's painful and sad to watch, but they think it's okay, because they don't see why you need a college degree to birth babies, clean house, drive a wrecker, sale used cars, do yard work, or even to do a reality show! LOL

They have recently said the older girls are preparing for college courses on-line. I think the real reason the older girls don't even attend a community college is that it would take time away from the house, laundry, child care, cooking, etc. They can't afford for the kids to attend college because Michelle and Jim Bob are NOT ABLE to care for their younger children without the older ones. They both have admitted they have to have help on multiple occasions.

Did you know that all of the older girls, even the 21 year old must have a chaperone when she leaves the house? They cannot leave the house alone, so if one left for college, one of her sisters or brother would have to accompany her.

Anna Duggar (Josh, oldest Duggar son's wife) had on Josh and Anna's website that she got a 4 year degree, in some kind of religious training on-line. That was before she got married.

It seems their educations suit the lifestyle that they are living. It is archaic in many ways, but this is the life they lead. I only hope that if one of the children REALLY wanted to do something out of the box, they would be able to. As to the chaperone, even when Josh was courting Anna, they had a chaperone on their dates, so it makes sense that they ascribe to this with the girls as well. I can see it with younger ones, but its a little too much for an older one !!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread