+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    Exactly. And why is reproduction the only aspect of their lives that they totally put in God's hands? Actually, if God was totally in control of how many children they have, they wouldn't need to have sex, right? And this modesty thing they always preach about. Hey, that's great, and live your life how you want. But you are on a nationally televised show that is based on the results of your prolific sex life. Look at the title: "19 Kids and Counting." Why not just rename it "We're still having lots of sex!" Modesty indeed!

And what happened to the focus on the frugal ways of the Duggars? Jim Bob used to really preach about money and not needing to have new things. Did they get the iPhones on sale and save the difference? Sorry, rant over.
    They are a married couple who believes that sex should only take place between married couples. You can get pregnant from having sex once. So if you are comparing that people out there and close to them know they have had sex, what, 19 times, vs. daily flaunting of breasts, bootie, legs, tight outfits, sexually suggestive slogans written on your clothing. Hey I don't ascribe to their ideals of modesty, but I don't think that having a baby, especially within a marriage, is anywhere near as "suggestive" as daily dressing like a slut.

Following your theory people shouldn't get married because then people know for sure they are having sex!!
    libgirl2 and nanarama like this.

While I don't necessarily agree that having a ton of kids is the best choice.... one of the few things I've enjoyed on the off chances that I've seen this show and this couple is the loving relationship that the couple has.

They don't believe in birth control... lots of people don't. Lots of very very normal people don't believe in birth control for various reasons. They apparently don't closely monitor her cycles to purposely avoid getting pregnant. Again lots of very very normal people don't. Or maybe she has an irregular cycle. Who knows.

But I appreciate the fact that they have shown physical affection towards each other and have demonstrated love openly. But more over I appreciate that they don't necessarily stigmatize sex in the context of a marriage. How many married couples out there treat sex like it's a dirty horrible thing? I, personally, would rather have my kids growing up knowing that it's a sign of love and affection between two loving people instead of a dirty horrible thing to be avoided which is the message a lot of kids get. And lots of people go into marriages that end up very unhappy because of the cultural views on sexuality and being dirty and so on and so forth.
    libgirl2, Duckyface and nanarama like this.

I can see both sides of people's feelings on this family. I do not understand how one can parent so many children, I do see the older kids taking care of the younger ones, I ask myself why these people do not stop having kids??? The homeschooling seems to be inadequate from what I have seen. Then I also see two people, still obviously in love with each other, setting a good example to their kids of what a true marriage, made in the eyes of God, means... that love and marriage are not to be embarked on lightly as so many people do, with throw away relationships and divorce (and I have been divorced so no stone throwing!! lol!). People who's children are an asset to society, well behaved, law abiding and pleasant to be around. A family who love one another.
    Duckyface likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The parents do have some good qualities about them, however, if they thought more about their kid's welfare, instead of their preferences, the kids would benefit. While they show each other physical affection, they seldom show it to the kids. Michelle will cuddle her youngest one, but usually by the time the child is out of the infant stage, it's passed on to its buddy, (sister mom) and Michelle is seldom seem giving the baby affection. In fact, you hardly ever see displays of affection to the children. The toddlers are much more atuned to their older sisters than Michelle.

When Michelle returned home after after being gone for a few weeks, the younger children didn't show any excitement or recognition that she was back. She walked in to a very cool reception. I'm sure they love their parents, but they know who really takes care of them. She's not this super mom that she is made out to be.

I think she may be closer now to Josie, the youngest, since Josie was so premature and ill. She also does not have another pregnancy in the works, (That we are aware of.) so she can still treat Josie as the infant.
    Allie likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    While they show each other physical affection, they seldom show it to the kids.
    I noticed that too!! Really bizarre if you ask me. They give off such a weird vibe.

I can stomach a lot of reality shows but I can't take this one. Too sexist. Too religious. Too egomaniacal. Please think about the environment and stop reproducing. The world has PLENTY of people. Plenty. Pleaseeee stop!

What do you think of the side hugs they give? Have you noticed it? Apparently, they don't think hugging face to face is modest enough, so have to stand to the side and hug each other facing towards the front. Maybe there's background on that.
    Ewok likes this.

FoRTer

Ha - I had never noticed that, but then I'm an "A-frame" hugger, too... maybe it's just their nature? It would be interesting to know if it's a practice rather than just a preference for them.

I'm just waiting for a tell all book to appear lol!

Quote Originally Posted by princess07 View Post
    I'm just waiting for a tell all book to appear lol!
    Don't you know it! Nothing is exactly as it appears. I remember growing up in a very strict fundamental church, much like the Duggars teach. We would meet various kids whose parents were very STRICT, FUNDIE parents, some even preachers. They had all these strict rules and very high standards they had to live by, but when you got those kids behind closed doors, OMG. They were upto all kinds of stuff. They knew more about sex than I had ever heard. They smoked, drank, and were way more informed on various vices than me or my friends were. It was shocking.

I'm not saying the older Duggars have vices, but it would not surprise me. Plus, I think they must have their own opinions on things that does not mesh with their parents. That's just human nature. All the smiles and reassurances that all is so perfect and that all the kids WANT to do everything the parents ask is really not believable.

I tell ya, they are sitting on a gold mine. A good, honest, book that tells the truth, would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    Ha - I had never noticed that, but then I'm an "A-frame" hugger, too... maybe it's just their nature? It would be interesting to know if it's a practice rather than just a preference for them.
    I hated being hugged ever since I was a kid. To this day I hate it. I'm just not a touchy feel huggy sort of person.
    nennie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread