+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4162807;
    Yes, but that show was filmed in the fall of last year. Lots could have happened since then. Of course, normally they do a big announcment about it, so perhaps we have seen the last pregnancy for awhile.

Last night I saw something in Michelle that really broke my heart. She has no real insight into the welfare or future of her children. All she could focus on was what joy the new babies bring her, what a blessing she would miss if she didn't continue to have babies. She doesn't address what kind of learning disabilities that Josie may have that will require a great deal of her time. How do you properly devote your time between all of your toddlers and babies with a newborn or possibly being in a hospital with another newborn for an extended period of time? This is in addition to all of the older kids who also need your time and attention.

There just doesn't seem to be any kind of insight into the realities of providing proper care, time and attention to her existing kids. It's all about the excitement and joy of having another newborn. Actually, JB seemed to hesitate a little or appeared uncomfortable with the possibility. Has he awakened to smell the coffee or is he scared their income is going down the tubes when the public is upset with another pregnancy this time. Very interesting.

Oh, I'm glad they found time to take one of the toddlers to the shooting gallery. A toddler needs to know how to handle a firearm. That part of the show was so disturbing to me that I can't even think about it.
    All of what you said, Debb, is simply why I choose NOT to watch this show. Between all of Michelle's baby making when is there anytime to spend one on one with each kiddo.

SHOOTING GALLERY oh bother.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4162951;
    All of what you said, Debb, is simply why I choose NOT to watch this show. Between all of Michelle's baby making when is there anytime to spend one on one with each kiddo.

SHOOTING GALLERY oh bother.
    Yep, it was difficult to watch once I saw the toddler being held with earphones on to watch the shooting. Call me crazy. I don't even think it's wise for kids to play with toy guns.
    Once you're 18 fine. Go for it, but children? It's just off the charts IMO.

It's difficult for e to believe that a young girl who turns 18 wants to spend it only with her family, shooting guns. Oh well. They went skydiving too the next day. Michelle and Jessa actually put on a flight suit and had skydiving buddies strap themselves to their backs and jumped out of the plane. It was exciting. I think it's nuts for a mother of 19 to do, but I guess it was another blessing that Michelle could not resist. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4163099;
    Yep, it was difficult to watch once I saw the toddler being held with earphones on to watch the shooting. Call me crazy. I don't even think it's wise for kids to play with toy guns.
    Once you're 18 fine. Go for it, but children? It's just off the charts IMO.

It's difficult for e to believe that a young girl who turns 18 wants to spend it only with her family, shooting guns. Oh well. They went skydiving too the next day. Michelle and Jessa actually put on a flight suit and had skydiving buddies strap themselves to their backs and jumped out of the plane. It was exciting. I think it's nuts for a mother of 19 to do, but I guess it was another blessing that Michelle could not resist. LOL
    I'm not of their belief system but due to a very large hunting culture where I live children are out hunting early. Many children are learning gun handling skills very young. I learned with the BB gun when I was like 6 or 7 and was hunting with my dad before then (as a girl). It wasn't long after that I was using a .22. At 12 here virtually all kids go through a gun handling class so they can then go out and get hunting licenses. It's right of passage.

So I, personally, don't find anything strange about a young child learning about guns or a female learning about guns. It's really not as unusual as people think it is.

The community where I grew up is also very gun oriented. Hunting is a big thing there and if boys are going to hunt, then they should get their safety classes completed with their parent. I think you have to do it to get your hunting license. But you don't do that with pre-schoolers and toddlers. Also, JB said that they do not hunt. They only target practice. Those young children are not going to be target shooting. I don't even know why they would have been admitted to the shooting gallery. (I read on another site that the guy who owns the place is related to the Duggars. Not sure if that is true, but that could explain it.)

Despite all the gun safety classes and laws about securing firearms, there are accidental deaths due to children handling firearms. Once it's done, you can't undo it. I'm just not sure how you can ever live with yourself if you allowed the gun in the house for your amusement and a child ends up dead because of it. It's so senseless. I guess people just disagree on this matter.
    A two year-old shot himself by accident last year near my parents home. The family was devastated. They are very good and loving people. They just never thought the child would find it and pick it up. Their lives are forever changed with the visions of that day.

I'm not arguing about the deaths of children but am, instead, pointing out that this is not as unusual as people think it is. I started with target shooting before 12 before I did the gun safety classes. And in fact did more target shooting than hunting.

Most families here have guns in locked cabinets in their houses and children are taught gun safety early. It is what it is. It's just not that unusual, personal beliefs aside.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I consider these parents, and their beliefs, to be beyond creepy. Their children are born into domestic servitude where they remain until the time they wed a spouse approved of by their parents. Normal dating is forbidden.

They are actually more "assets" than "blessings." Unpaid labor, until they leave and start another family branch of child-slaves.

I realize that these beliefs are part of a religious cult, and for that reason my views might be considered intolerant, but I find the Duggar parents and their ilk completely repulsive.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I hear you PoppyFields. I see where you are coming from. Many people feel that way about the Duggars. I guess I watch because I do like the children. They can't help the situation they are in. I yearn to see some improvement with their condition.

Maybe a little liberalism will come out from them somewhere. LOL I come from a family with religious beliefs very much like the Duggars, except not as strict and not with so many kids.

I was always the independent minded one and turned out very different from my siblings and parents.Once I was of age, I left that type of church, their brand of politics and most of their conservative positions on male/female roles. When I was 21 years old I opened the floor for debate in my home on why when the holiday meal was over, the males made it to the couch and football., while the women began clearing the table and washing dishes. It didn't go over well. LOL

It will be interesting to see how the Duggar kids turn out. I hope to read a book written by one of them someday. I'd like to know the real story.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4161006;
    That's a great idea. Sort of like Wife Swap except the worker children and grandma go to stay at a home where they are allowed to relax, have others prepare their meals, go to class, go hang out with friends without carrying toddlers all the time. And they do their own laundry, not for 20 people!

JB and Michelle get other kids that age to move in with them who leave their dirty laundry on the floor, stay out with their friends, go to college classes all day and generally don't do any of the parent's jobs. I can't even imagine. They would be on the phone getting the Bates family to come help them. I really don't think they could make it.
    OMG!! I love it! That would have me glued to the TV. Too bad it's just not gonna happen.

I've gotten the feeling from JB since Josie's birth that he wouldn't much mind stopping w/ her. I'd really like to think that, but in their house, isn't he the Head, w/ his rules sacrosanct? So if he truly doesn't want any more, wouldn't it be as easy as his saying that? Maybe he's working up the courage to go against Michelle's wish for more blessings. She's like a spoiled little kid at Christmas, discarding the really neat gift she just opened and demanding more, IMO.

FORT Fogey

I think you're right about Michelle, but unfortunately I think JB really, truly believes in the values of this cult and thinks it's their duty to keep reproducing. I watched an episode recently where they went on a mountain hiking adventure (I think it was an old episode) and he did honestly seem to be trying to give the kids attention and be involved with them. It made me sad because he could be a great father to a few kids.

FORT Newbie

You're right, tears, and, rain. It's just that I've seen him question the need for more. we can only pray that he sees that these are proplre too, not just blessings that are facing the consequnces of their parents action. And yeah, he is a good father. Jus wish he'd develop a set used for more than rocreaatiom,and put his foot down

+ Reply to Thread