+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

Blonde One - what is your avatar a photo of? I have been trying to figure it out.
    I'm sorry your experience was not a good one. There are tons of resources out there now, to help homeschool parents do a good job. It was illegal in many states 20 years ago.

Debb - yes, if you want a standardized test recognized by the state and schools, you need to have it administered independantly. It wouldn't be as credible if you administer one to your own child.

My teacher friends had warned me that the homeschoolers they knew were weakest in writing skills, so we have really focused on it. The boys are also writing for an outside class they take, which gives them the feedback from another teacher. I have often been surprised at her notes on their papers because I had different criticisms.

The computer schooling, such as what the Duggar's are using, can not give the feedback and input necessary to develop writing skills. It takes a person to read it and check on how well the paper is written. A computer can only do a grammar check. So, I would be curious if they could compose a decent essay.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4108764;[B
    ]Blonde One - what is your avatar a photo of? I have been trying to figure it out. [/B]
    I'm sorry your experience was not a good one. There are tons of resources out there now, to help homeschool parents do a good job. It was illegal in many states 20 years ago.

Debb - yes, if you want a standardized test recognized by the state and schools, you need to have it administered independantly. It wouldn't be as credible if you administer one to your own child.

My teacher friends had warned me that the homeschoolers they knew were weakest in writing skills, so we have really focused on it. The boys are also writing for an outside class they take, which gives them the feedback from another teacher. I have often been surprised at her notes on their papers because I had different criticisms.

The computer schooling, such as what the Duggar's are using, can not give the feedback and input necessary to develop writing skills. It takes a person to read it and check on how well the paper is written. A computer can only do a grammar check. So, I would be curious if they could compose a decent essay.
    It is a picture of two kittens we rescued in the summer. One made it the other did not. My mom would have made that a health lesson. ROFL I don't think it was illegal here but I am not sure. I know it was severely looked down upon and mostly just "church" people did it.

FORT Newbie

My mom was one of 17 children. When I look at the relationship that I had with my aunts, uncles, and grandparents compared to the relationships in our family, there's a vast difference. My grandparents never recognized our birthdays or any holiday for that matter. My mom is an amazing grandmother to my kids and my nephews and it makes me sad that I could never have that.

Quote Originally Posted by wymama;4108873;
    My mom was one of 17 children. When I look at the relationship that I had with my aunts, uncles, and grandparents compared to the relationships in our family, there's a vast difference. My grandparents never recognized our birthdays or any holiday for that matter. My mom is an amazing grandmother to my kids and my nephews and it makes me sad that I could never have that.

That is sad. My grandparents were so special to me. Even my great grandparents were very close to me!

You have quite a unique insight as to what having a family that large entails. As a child with 16 siblings, how does your mom feel about having that many kids? How many did she decide to have?

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4108890;
    That is sad. My grandparents were so special to me. Even my great grandparents were very close to me!

You have quite a unique insight as to what having a family that large entails. As a child with 16 siblings, how does your mom feel about having that many kids? How many did she decide to have?
    Similar to the Duggars, the older kids cared for the younger ones. Many of the older girls married young to get out of the home. (My mom married my dad at age 15) Unlike the Duggars, they were poor and my grandfather was controlling and abusive and several kids were removed from the home for periods of time.

My mom had two children, as did most of her siblings. One had four and another had two, but adopted another ten children. Aside from them, they all had very small families. I was close to my grandmother on my father's side, so I do understand a grandmother's love. She died when I was young, though. DH's grandparents are still alive and I cling to them as if they were my own. They're just so precious.

My mom isn't a reality tv fan, so I'm certain she doesn't know who the Duggars are. Honestly, I don't know that I'd ask her to watch an episode with me as I think it would really bother her.

That's very interesting Wymama. I wonder if the Duggar kids will stick with only a few kids each too.

Grandparents are just the greatest. I loved my so much. I was the only girl and first born, so I was the apple of their eye. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4108890;

my dad had 17 siblings and my mom had 10. There was love from both sets of grandparents and I know all of my aunts and uncles and cousins. Even second cousins. Numbers are simply numbers. Love doesn't equal monetary gifts from grandparents. I was devastated when they died.

FORT Fogey

It's lovely that you had such a close relationship with your grandparents.

I don't think anyone was saying that love equaled monetary gifts, but that their grandparents didn't acknowledge their birthdays (i.e. no phone call, no card, nothing) and weren't really involved in holidays. This seems to be the path Michelle is headed down. She appears to be into being pregnant, having babies, and raising infants, then loses interest.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4110438;
    It's lovely that you had such a close relationship with your grandparents.

I don't think anyone was saying that love equaled monetary gifts, but that their grandparents didn't acknowledge their birthdays (i.e. no phone call, no card, nothing) and weren't really involved in holidays. This seems to be the path Michelle is headed down. She appears to be into being pregnant, having babies, and raising infants, then loses interest.

True.

FORT Newbie

All I can say is thank God another season is done. I can't believe I feel this way; I used to love watching the show. First for the "Awww" factor, then because...well for the same reason I can't look away when I pass an accident. The last episode I watched was Josie's homecoming, when Michelle pushed Jordyn away because she couldn't understand what she was saying. I agree with what everyone is saying about Michelle using her older girls, etc, etc, but when I saw that, it broke my heart. I will never understand her reasoning that children are blessings, so let's have a heap. With blessing comes responsibility(I think that might even be Biblical). How greater a responsibility when the blessings are children! IMHO they are failing their children miserably, and I just can't watch it any more. I'll content myself w/ following the show here. I'll also be first in line to buy the tell-all book! Those poor kids. The good news is Jordyn won't remember her own mommy pushing her away. The bad news is, it's been recorded for her watch time after time. It's just sickening!

+ Reply to Thread