+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

I don't know how I managed to post this on the wrong thread the other day, but I did. You may have already read it. LOL

I was just thinking about the pure numbers involved with an immediate family that large. If each of the kids gets married and has just 12 children, that still totals almost 250 people (including spouses). Obviously, you can't have an intimate family gathering in most homes. I'm doubtful they could even fit that many into the Duggars present home. It's great to have so many family members, but can you really be close to that many people? Just sending birthday cards could be a full-time job. LOL Then what happens when their kids have kids? Oh my, it's much worse than the Osmond family! LOL

How long before you don't really know people in your family? I can't see Michelle having much of any relationship with her grandchildren anyway. Can you really get to know all 200 grandkids?

FORT Fanatic

I don't see many (if any) Duggar children having anywhere the number of kids their parents did (19 and still possibly more in the future). Their way of living is so restrictive I think more and more of them will pull away from their style of living. Even the Amish might hope all their children would stay 'in the fold' but they don't 100%. Hopefully their families will continue to love them, no matter what their lifestyle.

And unless they can get a contract for another TV series when they are the current ages of their parents, how could they possibly support so many? I doubt the cost of living will go down much, if any, in 20 years.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4107095;
    It is interesting to read your take on this, so no worries. I know that some of the very good home schoolers I've heard about actually communicate with other parents who do the same. They have their kids go on field trips together and even get together for special lessons such as hands-on science and such. They make sure that social education is taken care of as well, as is being able to deal with teachers with different styles and personalities.
    Thanks! Yes, my kids take an outside literature class from another teacher once a week, and we do science experiments with another family. Their math teacher is online because I am out of my league in advanced math, and we have an art course that we use from a college professor on DVD. Then, they have music lessons, band, youth group, and TONS of field trips with our support group.

I don't see the Duggars doing much of that type of thing. They don't seem to make education their priority. I can't understand that.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4108074;
    I don't see the Duggars doing much of that type of thing. They don't seem to make education their priority. I can't understand that.
    I think this might be the first time I've posted in this thread, but I've really enjoyed following it and hearing all the different opinions. I agree with those that don't like the way things seem to have evolved with the Duggars, especially with the way the older girls have taken over Michelle's role with the younger children. It was the quote above that finally made me post though.

Homeschooling could be a really interesting component of the show. I'm thinking science experiments, art class, foreign language...I know they show music lessons every so often, but that seems to be it. I'd think some of the above could make good tv, so if it was happening, we'd likely see it.

And is college or trade school ever even mentioned for the older kids that have "graduated" from Michelle's program? If so, I missed it (but then I haven't seen every episode).

I was homeschooled. It can be a really good thing if done right. It was not in my case. We were one of the first families in the area to do it and there was not the same opportunities as there are now. For my mom it was more about getting me away from the "bad" people than school work. Funny thing was, I pretty much just hung out with my Church friends. LOL I learned alot about myself but school wise I didn't learn much. My brother is pretty much socially inept. Also, when we tried to get back into regular school they did not accept home schooling credits at the time which hurt us.
    I do have much respect for parents that do it and do it the right way. Actually teach their kids. It can be wonderful for the whole family!

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne;4108166;
    I was homeschooled. It can be a really good thing if done right. It was not in my case. We were one of the first families in the area to do it and there was not the same opportunities as there are now. For my mom it was more about getting me away from the "bad" people than school work. Funny thing was, I pretty much just hung out with my Church friends. LOL I learned alot about myself but school wise I didn't learn much. My brother is pretty much socially inept. Also, when we tried to get back into regular school they did not accept home schooling credits at the time which hurt us.
    I do have much respect for parents that do it and do it the right way. Actually teach their kids. It can be wonderful for the whole family!
    Thank you for your input. I am so sorry things worked out badly for you.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4108240;
    Thank you for your input. I am so sorry things worked out badly for you.
    It is fine now. I am just glad that there has been so much improvement in the 20 years since I was in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondeOne;4108250;
    It is fine now. I am just glad that there has been so much improvement in the 20 years since I was in that situation.
    My good friend homeschooled and when her daughters went back to regular school they did quite well. Her youngest actually tested above her grade level. Then again, my friend was very devoted and only stopped because she got a full time job and didn't want to park the girls in front of a computer to learn.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I know quite a few people who were or are home schooled. I tend to hear that the students are above their grade level with testing. I'm always surprised to hear that because when I have read writing samples from the students, it is obvious that they are far below their grade level in that area. In fact the writing is shocking.

Perhaps the student performs well on the test because they are able to read and answer questions by multiple choice, but just don't have much practice in writing composition and penmanship. I'm not sure what else it could be.

From what I have read, there must be an independent person administer the state test, unless the person giving the test has a college degree. I think it's that way in most states.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4108489;
    My good friend homeschooled and when her daughters went back to regular school they did quite well. Her youngest actually tested above her grade level. Then again, my friend was very devoted and only stopped because she got a full time job and didn't want to park the girls in front of a computer to learn.
    My mom didn't take me out so I could have a better education. That is the difference. Most of the people that were homeschooling at the time were above grade level. My Brothers and I were not. We were taught about Ancient Sumur and Moses and the Exodus, not what happened in the last 20-40 years. English class for me was playing scrabble....ect.
    Her heart was in the right place but she didn't do a great job as a teacher. She just didn't want us "in the world" with the "bad" people. She worked full time at our church and I went with everyday. One thing that was a real big, giant thing in our house was proper English. LOL Anyway, I wish we had a computer back then to learn from. It would have helped me alot. Our house was not as strict as the Duggars but I see many things that are the same. I could wear pants and listen to music and dance but girls were just kinda expected to grow up get married, have a few kids and be almost subservient to their husbands.
    I have been having many problems with my Son and school lately and sometimes I wonder if I should homeschool but, I know it would not benefit him education wise. So, I have gotten to know many of his teachers pretty well. LOL

+ Reply to Thread