+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

I like this family, and think that everyone has the right to decide the number of children they want, but I think my biggest concern in the last year is how much they have changed - not for the better.

When the show first started, Michelle was a lot more involved in every part of her children's lives, even though there were many of them. She was their teacher all day and always working with the children. But now, she has put the children's schooling onto the older girls and doesn't get involved with their homeschooling at all. She was using a pretty decent curriculum ( although very conservative and not strong in science), but now they are doing Switched on Schoolhouse, which is really only good for certain learning styles. I think it is good for older children to read with the younger ones, but to have the older ones "school" the younger ones is ridiculous. I completely disagree with people who "homeschool" by just handing the kid over some books or computer curriculum and leaving it up to them. That is not schooling the child! The benefit of homeschooling is the one on one, tutoring-style, of teaching. I homeschool my children and I sit at the table with them for hours every day as we learn together. If I didn't have time to do that , then I would send them to school. I just think it is irresponsible schooling. Also, I have noticed some real grammar problems with the kids - even the older ones, that I think should have been fixed in English class. And, I'm really against them graduating the kids at 16 years old just for the sake of them being done. If they were changing over to community college from there or something, I think it's fine, but just to have them home and taking care of their siblings is not a good reason to graduate them 2 years early. They would be much better off having those extra 2 years of education if they are not going to continue with higher learning. I would really love to see one of these kids go to college or even trade school - something!!

I think that they have made a lot of changes due to the show and to the birth of Josie. I really hope to see them realize their mistakes and fix them. Michelle needs to come out of sitting in her room with Josie all day and get active with her family.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4106068;
    I like this family, and think that everyone has the right to decide the number of children they want, but I think my biggest concern in the last year is how much they have changed - not for the better.

When the show first started, Michelle was a lot more involved in every part of her children's lives, even though there were many of them. She was their teacher all day and always working with the children. But now, she has put the children's schooling onto the older girls and doesn't get involved with their homeschooling at all. She was using a pretty decent curriculum ( although very conservative and not strong in science), but now they are doing Switched on Schoolhouse, which is really only good for certain learning styles. I think it is good for older children to read with the younger ones, but to have the older ones "school" the younger ones is ridiculous. I completely disagree with people who "homeschool" by just handing the kid over some books or computer curriculum and leaving it up to them. That is not schooling the child! The benefit of homeschooling is the one on one, tutoring-style, of teaching. I homeschool my children and I sit at the table with them for hours every day as we learn together. If I didn't have time to do that , then I would send them to school. I just think it is irresponsible schooling. Also, I have noticed some real grammar problems with the kids - even the older ones, that I think should have been fixed in English class. And, I'm really against them graduating the kids at 16 years old just for the sake of them being done. If they were changing over to community college from there or something, I think it's fine, but just to have them home and taking care of their siblings is not a good reason to graduate them 2 years early. They would be much better off having those extra 2 years of education if they are not going to continue with higher learning. I would really love to see one of these kids go to college or even trade school - something!!

I think that they have made a lot of changes due to the show and to the birth of Josie. I really hope to see them realize their mistakes and fix them. Michelle needs to come out of sitting in her room with Josie all day and get active with her family.
    I agree, if you are going to make the commitment to homeschool, you just can't plop a kid in front of a computer. The older ones, sure, they can do more self study, but the little ones need that attention and not from a sister.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I agree with the posters above about the homeschooling for the most part. I do however doubt the portrayal of Michelle ever being the homeschool teacher model.

I think that when the show first came on that portrayal of them around the table was staged. Michelle was a fish out of water long before Josie was born. If you recall an episode they aired over a season ago about Michelle trying to teach school. It was a joke. She had no control over the kids and it was obvious she didn't normally do it. The boys were all over the place and she knew no more about homeschooling than I do. I knew then, the kids were in trouble. The kids paid her no mind and she just laughed with defeat. The little ones were being cared for by the older girls and she still had no patience for it.

Which reminds me of another episode of Michelle a season or two ago which showed Michelle taking the young boys shopping at a thrift store for shoes. I think she may have had 4 with her. The boys were being boys, but Michelle had no control over them. She tried to get their attention and do the shopping, but it was really chaos. It was obvious that she cannot handle those children on her own. Still, her reaction is to take the kids to the older girls to care for and have another couple of babies. It boggles the mind.

I know Josh and Anna are pregnant again...but so far I don't see any signs of Michelle being pregnant. She still appears to be wearing her regular shirts and looks slim in her middle. She's been thru a great deal physically...so perhaps her body is letting her know there'll be no more babies. We shall see.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;4106801;
    I know Josh and Anna are pregnant again...but so far I don't see any signs of Michelle being pregnant. She still appears to be wearing her regular shirts and looks slim in her middle. She's been thru a great deal physically...so perhaps her body is letting her know there'll be no more babies. We shall see.
    Right! LOL

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4106819;
    Right! LOL
    I have to say I'm finding this idea of popping a baby out every year to be a little off-putting. Maybe I'm just over the novelty of the Duggars. Now, they just seem like freaks to me.

I feel really sorry for their kids. I hope they are banking some of those TLC checks in individual accounts for their 19? 20? (I've lost count)... appalling number of children. They are not going to employable without better educational planning.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4106841;
    I have to say I'm finding this idea of popping a baby out every year to be a little off-putting. Maybe I'm just over the novelty of the Duggars. Now, they just seem like freaks to me.

I feel really sorry for their kids. I hope they are banking some of those TLC checks in individual accounts for their 19? 20? (I've lost count)... appalling number of children. They are not going to employable without better educational planning.
    OUCH! I'm glad you weren't around me during my childbearing years. I had my first three children in three years (to the month) and all my five in seven years. I liked having my children close in age and, to this day as adults, they are extremely close. And I have to say, those years were some of the happiest in my life.
    To each their own!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4106896;
    OUCH! I'm glad you weren't around me during my childbearing years. I had my first three children in three years (to the month) and all my five in seven years. I liked having my children close in age and, to this day as adults, they are extremely close. And I have to say, those years were some of the happiest in my life.
    To each their own!
    Five is not twenty. God bless you. Kids close in age are great. I'm the second of 11, and I'm 18 years older than the youngest. Indeed, to each is own. But these people are, clearly, not focused in any conventional way on raising children who can be independent, contributing members of society. They know all about giving birth, but not so much about giving "life." I feel really sorry for their kids. I wonder how the kids like having their lives intruded upon by TLC.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 11-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I have three kids. One older, and two close together (yes, they are very close - and much easier to homeschool together! ) But, I thought even just the two being so close was tough during those toddler years! I think I'd be in a padded room if I tried to have a bunch of them.

Anywhooo...

Yes, I remember that episode, Debb, where they showed Michelle schooling the kids. She was using a curriculum called ATI, which is put out by Bill Gothard. It is a curriculum for multi-level teaching, so she could easily have taught them the basics as a group, and then had them each move on to seperate age-appropriate learning activities. For instance, they could have read a story about the Middle Ages, and then Michelle could have had the little ones making crowns and shields, while the elementary aged kids look up heraldry and find out what the symbols meant before making their own shields and maybe play swords, while the older ones looked up the family tree of the Tudors, or do a report on the War of the Roses. That is actually how that kind of curriculum is designed to work. (I'm not saying she did it right and maybe it was a sham for the cameras). But, if you look at the Duggar's website now, and look under homeschooling resources, most of what is listed is the type of curriculum where you set the kid at the computer and let "it" teach the kids. They are good enough programs, but not geared toward the kinestetic learner - which most boys are. Since the majority of school-aged kids in the Duggar house are rowdy boys, they need to be doing active, hands-on learning to really thrive.

Sorry about going on and on about the schooling thing! I can't help it since it totally consumes my life!! I have a huge homeschool community around me and I was the director of a large homeschool co-op for years until I had a life-changing disability hit me. It really irks me when I see moms slacking off on this job because it is the most important job in your child's life and blowing it is just not acceptable. There are plenty of qualified, dedicated teachers in public and private schools if you can't (or don't want to) do it. The only reason I started homeschooling was because my son's dyslexia was so severe, and I have previous teaching experience and a strong love for learning and teaching, so it seemed like it was meant to be.

Okay, I'll stop now...

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4107002;
    Sorry about going on and on about the schooling thing! I can't help it since it totally consumes my life!! I have a huge homeschool community around me and I was the director of a large homeschool co-op for years until I had a life-changing disability hit me. It really irks me when I see moms slacking off on this job because it is the most important job in your child's life and blowing it is just not acceptable. There are plenty of qualified, dedicated teachers in public and private schools if you can't (or don't want to) do it. The only reason I started homeschooling was because my son's dyslexia was so severe, and I have previous teaching experience and a strong love for learning and teaching, so it seemed like it was meant to be.
    Okay, I'll stop now...
    It is interesting to read your take on this, so no worries. I know that some of the very good home schoolers I've heard about actually communicate with other parents who do the same. They have their kids go on field trips together and even get together for special lessons such as hands-on science and such. They make sure that social education is taken care of as well, as is being able to deal with teachers with different styles and personalities.

+ Reply to Thread