+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;4103197;
    This really kinda irks me. They own all this land and have little to no pride in working any of the land they own. I am not saying they need to put giant fields of corn or orchards, but surely out of anybody they would see the overall cost savings for using some of that land for agricultural use, whether it benefits them or the community at large. With as many hands around the house as they have, a small to medium sized garden should not be that hard to maintain in the spring an summer months. There is more to life than Aldi and tatertot casserole .

I guess they will always be too busy makin' babies and preachin'.
    that's sort of my point about the garden. You don't need full-blown fields of wheat or corn or something. Just a nice garden with early hardy spring veggies (spring cabbage is just the best)..tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers..even melons and pumpkins...things like that. Lots of folks enjoy participating in their local farmer's market...another source of income. Whether preserving or not...with such a big family it would all taste sooooo wonderful in the summer months..and be better for them too. For that matter..what would be wrong with running a few cattle. I KNOW they eat beef...and having your own meat butchered and stored in a freezer can save money and time.

I'm guess I'm just kind of curious..why they seem to overlook the obvious.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;4103488;
    that's sort of my point about the garden. You don't need full-blown fields of wheat or corn or something. Just a nice garden with early hardy spring veggies (spring cabbage is just the best)..tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers..even melons and pumpkins...things like that. Lots of folks enjoy participating in their local farmer's market...another source of income. Whether preserving or not...with such a big family it would all taste sooooo wonderful in the summer months..and be better for them too. For that matter..what would be wrong with running a few cattle. I KNOW they eat beef...and having your own meat butchered and stored in a freezer can save money and time.

I'm guess I'm just kind of curious..why they seem to overlook the obvious.
    From what I have seen, food prep in the Duggar household seems to consist of opening cans of condensed soups, bags/boxes of tater tots, boxes of prepared foods, browning ground meats, etc. Fast food, pretty much and not really what I think of as healthy meals. Way too much fat, sodium, and chemical preservatives. I get that they are frugal, but they are making a fortune on this show. You'd think they would invest a little of that into basic healthy nutrition. Eating veggies in season and meats and fish bought on sale or in bulk can actually be less expensive than the prepared foods they buy. Their published recipes are nutritionally horrendous if you plan on eating them every day.

I think I mentioned that I am one of 11 kids and we did eat "one pot" meals often, but they were made from whole foods. Lots of fresh veggies, meats, fish, and a large salad on the table every night. My parents had to be frugal, but my mother made sure that what we were eating met our nutritional needs. I'm not seeing that on the Duggars.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 11-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4103523;
    From what I have seen, food prep in the Duggar household seems to consist of opening cans of condensed soups, bags/boxes of tater tots, boxes of prepared foods, browning ground meats, etc. Fast food, pretty much and not really what I think of as healthy meals. Way too much fat, sodium, and chemical preservatives. I get that they are frugal, but they are making a fortune on this show. You'd think they would invest a little of that into basic healthy nutrition. Eating veggies in season and meats and fish bought on sale or in bulk can actually be less expensive than the prepared foods they buy. Their published recipes are nutritionally horrendous if you plan on eating them every day.

I think I mentioned that I am one of 11 kids and we did eat "one pot" meals often, but they were made from whole foods. Lots of fresh veggies, meats, fish, and a large salad on the table every night. My parents had to be frugal, but my mother made sure that what we were eating met our nutritional needs. I'm not seeing that on the Duggars.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Apparently the Duggars will be grandparents again, the eldest son and his wife are preggers. What a shame for this family's tradition to keep going.

Also, saw a picture of Josie at 11 months....To me, she looks a little 'special needs' and I am not trying to be mean, just a nursing assessment. Her features are just different, even though she's not a preemie anymore, she still at 11 months, should not retain a lot of preemie-like features. I wouldnt expect the Duggars to ever announce any condition if she did have it, it would put too much negative spin on their PR.

Yes, fresh vegetables and homegrown cattle would be more economical and healthy, however, it requires lots of work, like getting up early. Their family is not into early rising. They have all said this on many occassions. I just can't see it happening.

With all that land, raising some livestock could be a great project for the kids. There are several organizations for young people that promote kids and their upkeep of livestock. They have competitions that offer scholarships and more.

A few months ago I changed my diet competely. It came from health scares with my family. I started really looking at fat, sodium, calories and all the bizarre ingredients in processed food. It is SCARY! My mom has totally changed how she cooks for her and my dad as well as the rest of the family per doctor's orders. She lost 100 pounds in 10 months! The food is actually better that way IMO.

I try to buy only fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. Some frozen veggies are okay, but you have to look at the package carefully. Sodium is a big problem. I hardly ever buy anything processed or already cooked, so stuff in jars, cans and boxes is pretty much off the menu. I can imagine it would be difficult to do with a large family, although it's worth IMO.
    Last edited by Debb70; 11-12-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4103930;
    Yes, fresh vegetables and homegrown cattle would be more economical and healthy, however, it requires lots of work, like getting up early. Their family is not into early rising. They have all said this on many occassions. I just can't see it happening.

With all that land, raising some livestock could be a great project for the kids. There are several organizations for young people that promote kids and their upkeep of livestock. They have competitions that offer scholarships and more.

A few months ago I changed my diet competely. It came from health scares with my family. I started really looking at fat, sodium, calories and all the bizarre ingredients in processed food. It is SCARY! My mom has totally changed how she cooks for her and my dad as well as the rest of the family per doctor's orders. She lost 100 pounds in 10 months! The food is actually better that way IMO.

I try to buy only fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. Some frozen veggies are okay, but you have to look at the package carefully. Sodium is a big problem. I hardly ever buy anything processed or already cooked, so stuff in jars, cans and boxes is pretty much off the menu. I can imagine it would be difficult to do with a large family, although it's worth IMO.

Speaking of which, I was reading the serving side on a package of a Rice-a-Roni...and the sodium content was 1000 mg per serving....and you know the 'typical American' serving is nearly double the manufactering serving side. Just ridiculous to eat 1-2 grams of salt per meal. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;4103890;
    Apparently the Duggars will be grandparents again, the eldest son and his wife are preggers. What a shame for this family's tradition to keep going.
    I think it's rather sweet news, especially considering the miscarriage mentioned upthread. I'm happy for them.

FORT Fanatic

Well, Josh and Anna didn't waste any time. Their little girl is only a year old, Anna had a miscarraige, and now she is already pregnant again.

I do hope they won't follow Jim Bob and Michelle's example of a zillion kids.

FORT Fanatic

I just read that Michelle has done a tandem sky-dive. One of their kids wanted to do it for her birthday, and Michelle decided to try it also. Some family members did it on a previous show, but at that time, the birthday girl wasn't old enough, and Michelle was pregnant.

I realize a tandem sky dive is relatively safe, but a woman with 19 kids should have more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4104845;
    I just read that Michelle has done a tandem sky-dive. One of their kids wanted to do it for her birthday, and Michelle decided to try it also. Some family members did it on a previous show, but at that time, the birthday girl wasn't old enough, and Michelle was pregnant.

I realize a tandem sky dive is relatively safe, but a woman with 19 kids should have more sense.
    I think that is kind of cool
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread