+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

  1. #1661
    FORT Fan Ownlyanangel20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    372

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Skirts and pants as being female vs male dates back to the Victorian age, although prior to that as well. It was just more expounded on during this time era. Skirts were to emphasize a woman's, 'feminine qualities', meaning her daintyness and fragility. A woman would need a man's assistance to help her cross a puddle on the street to ensure her skirt didn't get wet. It just fed into the stereotype and notion that women were dependent on a man to protect them. Plus its all about gender roles. Men are men, women are women, and that necessitates into their dress. Men don't wear skirts (of course, unless they are Scottish, but they are called Kilts, and that, of course is acceptable) and women don't wear pants.

    Another reason to not wear pants is to avoid showing the female form, as a sillouette. Pants would show the hips and the female reproductive areas more so than a flowing skirt....and to showcase that area would be vulgar. Eventhough a man can wear pants and have his areas, 'exposed' in that form, it takes the shape of a phallus and that showed dominance and power. Eventhough their pants werent the tight jeans of today, it still was considered form fitting.

    It wasn't until WWII that pants for many women became an issue of practicality, since they had to join the workforce for the first time, skirts just wouldnt do in a manufacturing plant or at the store. And then Kate Hepburn being a strong advocate for being feminine AND wearing pants during the 1940s really helped shape the idea that pants are unisexual and that being a woman doesn't mean only wearing skirts.

    Reminds me of one of my theses in college.

  2. #1662
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4098148;
    The other part that is silly about the idea of pants being a "male" thing is that when that law was written in the Old Testament, men actually wore dresses themselves, not pants. The thing about that OT rule at that time had a lot more to do with cross-dressing to fool others about your sexuality than the actual articles of clothing. This is representative of exactly what Christ spoke out against. He was totally against the people who were obeying the letter of the law (and adding in a few regulations of their own), while their hearts were far from God. He said that they were putting burdens on people's backs that noone could carry, while deceiving people into thinking that following these rules would bring them to heaven. Jesus spent much of his ministry speaking against that sort of thing.
    I agree, it is probably more having to do with cross dressing and sexuality then actual "pants" and "skirts"
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  3. #1663
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,558

    Re: The Duggar Family

    On tonight's episode, they revealed that the Duggar's do not eat pork because of their religious beliefs, and that they don't wear shorts (we've heard that one before).

    I have a feeling they are eating according to the Levitical laws, which means that they are basically kosher.

    This means they are trying to follow the Old Testament Jewish laws, along with their Christian faith. But, in the New Testament, the apostles, when deciding how to deal with all of the Gentile converts declared that the Gentiles did not have to become Jews first (following all of the rules and regulations of the OT) to become Christians because they said that it was too much to bear. There are also many New Testament verses that talk about the purpose of those laws were to point out the inability to save ourselves and lead us to a savior.

    So, I am finding it interesting that they are trying to bring the Hebrew laws into their Christian faith. I would be really interested in finding out which other rules and regulations they follow. They seem to have many.

  4. #1664
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Did anyone catch the preview for next week when Josh has an "announcement"? I wonder if Anna is pregnant?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #1665
    FORT Fogey princess07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4101936;
    On tonight's episode, they revealed that the Duggar's do not eat pork because of their religious beliefs, and that they don't wear shorts (we've heard that one before).

    I have a feeling they are eating according to the Levitical laws, which means that they are basically kosher.

    This means they are trying to follow the Old Testament Jewish laws, along with their Christian faith. But, in the New Testament, the apostles, when deciding how to deal with all of the Gentile converts declared that the Gentiles did not have to become Jews first (following all of the rules and regulations of the OT) to become Christians because they said that it was too much to bear. There are also many New Testament verses that talk about the purpose of those laws were to point out the inability to save ourselves and lead us to a savior.

    So, I am finding it interesting that they are trying to bring the Hebrew laws into their Christian faith. I would be really interested in finding out which other rules and regulations they follow. They seem to have many.
    Wasn't that a pepperoni pizza they were eating in New York??

  6. #1666
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,149

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4102090;
    Wasn't that a pepperoni pizza they were eating in New York??
    I wouldn't be surprised. LOL Maybe they didn't stop to think about it.

    I know they have worn shorts too. Remember when they were in the movie scene and were racing? Some of the younger boys wore shorts.

    I don't say much about their family's choice of clothing, hairstyles, diet, etc. because that is a personal thing. What concernes me are things that really effect the kids and they have no control over, such as lack of education, lack of parental attention and safety issues.

    I grew up with all those stringent rules and teachings and I never saw how they benefitted anyone, including the kids or their peers. All of the kids I knew, grew up and tossed those teachings aside. Still, if they feel good about living that way, go for it. I don't buy that they want to live that way and could live differently if they wanted to. I just don't think that is believeable.

  7. #1667
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    33

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4101936;
    On tonight's episode, they revealed that the Duggar's do not eat pork because of their religious beliefs, and that they don't wear shorts (we've heard that one before).

    I have a feeling they are eating according to the Levitical laws, which means that they are basically kosher.

    This means they are trying to follow the Old Testament Jewish laws, along with their Christian faith. But, in the New Testament, the apostles, when deciding how to deal with all of the Gentile converts declared that the Gentiles did not have to become Jews first (following all of the rules and regulations of the OT) to become Christians because they said that it was too much to bear. There are also many New Testament verses that talk about the purpose of those laws were to point out the inability to save ourselves and lead us to a savior.

    So, I am finding it interesting that they are trying to bring the Hebrew laws into their Christian faith. I would be really interested in finding out which other rules and regulations they follow. They seem to have many.
    I just watched an episode about a month ago where one of the boys was home alone with another brother and they cooked a whole pack of bacon for breakfast.

  8. #1668
    My Doppleganger Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,286

    Re: The Duggar Family

    I was telling my husband last nite, I think I also read on here somewhere the Duggars also do not garden, i.e., grow their own veggies things like that. With all that land and such a wonderful large kitchen....you'd think they'd want to garden...indeed even some of the kids would really be interested in it. And some of the girls who enjoy cooking might like to learn the process of canning and freezing.

    I have to admit the "pork" thing threw me for a loop. Puts me in mind of a quote from Fried Green Tomates about a fellow being unwilling to sit next to a small black child but would eat an egg that shoots out a chicken's ass. They'll eat something like Tater Tot surprise..or 3 paks of Turkey bacon but won't eat pork? Go figure.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

  9. #1669
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,198

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Maybe they aren't big on pork products? Or are watching what they eat? they do use ground turkey often....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  10. #1670
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,149

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;4102269;
    I was telling my husband last nite, I think I also read on here somewhere the Duggars also do not garden, i.e., grow their own veggies things like that. With all that land and such a wonderful large kitchen....you'd think they'd want to garden...indeed even some of the kids would really be interested in it. And some of the girls who enjoy cooking might like to learn the process of canning and freezing.

    I have to admit the "pork" thing threw me for a loop. Puts me in mind of a quote from Fried Green Tomates about a fellow being unwilling to sit next to a small black child but would eat an egg that shoots out a chicken's ass. They'll eat something like Tater Tot surprise..or 3 paks of Turkey bacon but won't eat pork? Go figure.

    That's too funny! I get your point completely.

    Fundamental Baptists have had odd beliefs about certain things for a long time. I recall as a child and teen that choir robes were prohibited because the preacher said they had to be able to see the female members skirt length. LOL I"m not kidding. (Isn't the point to cover the legs. The robe would have come midcalf.) Go figure.

    It was also forbidden to have church bulletins. The reason stated was that the holy spirit could fall upon the service and want to do something that was not written on the bulletin. They didn't want to restrict the holy spirit from moving. Even as a child, I thought that was odd. You mean to say that the Holy Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead, could not overcome a church bulletin on an 8.5 X11 piece of paper? LOL I never understood it.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.