+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree447Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4088338;
    Actually, speaking as someone who's had many painful surgeries, if you allow yourself to get upset and cry and moan and wail, it's harder and hurts more. That raises your blood pressure, it takes longer to heal, etc. Now, I'm not saying you should pretend it doesn't hurt and be your normal self - your body would need to heal - but you also should try to stay as calm as possible. It's very different from say, a skinned knee where if you cry, it actually helps.
    I just wanted to add my advice as a nurse. We don't recommend people being stoic when it comes to acute pain. Chronic pain is a little different, but acute pain we want to know when you are in pain, where, what level (0-10), the quality and what helps it. The action of being in pain will raise your blood pressure, and not getting your acute pain under control will make your healing potentially slower. But suppressing your pain will not lower your bp or help accelerate healing time.

Of course we don't recommend people screaming in agony, but we don't deny it either. I remember just ten years ago we told women during childbirth not to scream or make a lot of noises....now, we tell them to scream as much as they want, and it does help them, quite a bit.

We do want them calm, and I know that sounds like a paradox, but when a patient is in pain and agitated, then we have a potential for disaster.

FORT Fogey

I guess that's kind of what I was trying to say. It's no good to pretend you're not in pain, but it's also no good to get hysterical. You can acknowledge your pain and accurately describe it/gauge it without letting it overtake you. Is that pretty accurate?

One thing I found interesting, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem that Michelle breastfeeds her children. They showed JB bottle feeding Josie, a 'special needs' baby who needs the breastmilk more so than any other child would, IMO. Maybe if she breastfeeds, she would have only 11 children not 19.

FORT Fanatic

Oh, Michelle definitely does breast-feed usually. With the previous child, she was always walking around with some type of covering as she apparently breast-fed on demand. They were in a Christmas parade and she was even doing that on the float!

She pumped milk for Josie but after several months, they decided the baby was not reacting to it well, so they switched to a formula. Michelle said the frozen breast milk would be donated to another baby in need.

FORT Fogey

It might be that formula is easier on her digestive system.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4089589;
    Oh, Michelle definitely does breast-feed usually. With the previous child, she was always walking around with some type of covering as she apparently breast-fed on demand. They were in a Christmas parade and she was even doing that on the float!

She pumped milk for Josie but after several months, they decided the baby was not reacting to it well, so they switched to a formula. Michelle said the frozen breast milk would be donated to another baby in need.
    Yes, because wasn't that part of why she was so surprised that she was pregnant with Josie - because she was still breastfeeding Jordyn at the time?

Okay, thanks for answering. I thought it would be unusual for her to not breastfeed, but catching her bottlefeeding 19 caught me off guard.

And was she surprised that you could get pregnant while breastfeeding? Jiminy Christmas.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Regarding Michelle's breastfeeding. I had heard somewhere that the Quiverfull people breastfeed for only a short amount of time in order to make sure they get pregnant again soon. Has anyone heard about this? I have a bad memory! (I know you can get pregnant while nursing anyway, but I think that group tries to make sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4090343;
    Regarding Michelle's breastfeeding. I had heard somewhere that the Quiverfull people breastfeed for only a short amount of time in order to make sure they get pregnant again soon. Has anyone heard about this? I have a bad memory! (I know you can get pregnant while nursing anyway, but I think that group tries to make sure.)
    I know wikipedia has a little blurb that some within the community do use breastfeeding as a way to space out their children, but that this isn't for certain and it definately isn't the norm.

So maybe on the flip side of that, they breastfeed only the minimum that way they arent "getting in the way" of God's divine plan to have litters of children.

On a seperate post, I find it very interesting that Michelle is a Virgo and that JB is a Cancer. Cancers certainly are all about family, and they do love children. Virgos....definately about numbers, but they dont make the most hands on parent.

Also, there is some sort of sexual repression that many virgos experience, even though many say Scorps are the most sexually dynamic, Virgos have some of the more complex issues regarding sexuality.

+ Reply to Thread