+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

I remember them saying once that the kids all pass the GED test. I think in reality that means they have an eith grade education. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911;4081126;
    Even still the Duggars of today are not the same Duggars we first met. The thrifty, wholesome, as long as we have each other family seems to have developed a taste for the finer things and forgotten the real reasons why I believe they opened up their family for the world to see, which I think was to minister and promote an alternative Christian lifestyle.I really hope things change for the kids and that the parents remember what I hope are the real reasons why they have chosen to have 19 children and how special each and every one of them are.
    Very well said.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I also homeschool my children and I think the reason she has them take the GED is because she graduates them at the age of 16, rather than 18. (I have a problem with that because they don't graduate early to go to college early, but instead they graduate early to do more work within the house.)

Some homeschoolers used to do the GED testing because the colleges were not accepting homeschool diplomas and it made it easier for them to get in, but not many homeschoolers do it anymore. It is kind of "old school" because colleges now accept homeschoolers and there is no need for it. Since a GED is considered "lower" than a regular high school diploma, I actually could see it as being more of a hinderance, than a help, for their future education.

Most of the homeschoolers I know are enrolling their children in community college when they are 16 to take dual-credit courses, allowing their kids to graduate high school with an associate's degree and the ability to transfer those credits to the college of their choice. My son is in 10th grade and will start dual credit courses either this spring or next fall. (he's dyslexic, so I will wait until I feel he is ready). My younger son will start even earlier because he is gifted.

So, in my opinion, the Duggars are not doing enough for their children's education. I guess it is a good thing that they are getting rich off of this show!

FORT Fogey

Yes, but how long will that wealth sustain the large families of nineteen children, and maybe more??? That's what bothers me. They aren't teaching their children the value of education, and truthfully their children probably won't have to worry about surviving the "real world" but what about their children's children? For the most part, we value for our children what our parents valued for us.

Your version of homeschooling sounds like the homeschooling I'm familiar with - the kids I know also went to a "school" for a couple of classes, like higher level maths or literature.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I agree about the wealth. There are so many that it needs to spread around to. I also wonder if JB and Michelle do anything to help Josh and Anna. I think I remember Michelle saying that once they left the nest, they were on their own. It seems only fair to me that since the children are also earning the money through the show, they should get a piece of the pie. Why should it only go to JB and Michelle?

The kids' choices seem so limited! Either stay home indefinitely and take care of siblings, or get married and have to survive on their own with no education or career. I wish the parents were equipping these kids for a future!

BTW - yes, my kids take a literature class out once a week, higher math on-line, and we get together with other homeschoolers to do our science experiments. They need to learn how to deal with other teachers, take tests, and work with others for college.

FORT Fanatic

I always thought that a GED was considered the equivalent of a high school education (12 years). Is that not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;4082237;
    I always thought that a GED was considered the equivalent of a high school education (12 years). Is that not correct?
    That is correct, but it doesn't hold the weight that an actual diploma has in certain instances. If you, with a diploma, are up against someone with a GED for a job, they will most likely choose you. At least around here it's like that.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

The college experience is such a great thing. Why wouldn't you want your child to do it? Not only do you learn various subjects upon which you can build a career, but you learn much more. You learn to get along with people from many different backgrounds, including students and professors. You can get involved in sports, attend college games, learn new responsiblities regarding time management, money management and coping skills.

Whiile the older kids might have to start at a community college, I think they could get financial assistance. I bet many people would love to help them with their education and living expenses. I suppose knowing that your parents would frown upon it, might make you hesitate stepping out on your own.

I really feel for those kids and hope that some day, they get up the nerve and take off to make their own life. They are sitting on a gold mine with their own book and don't know it. I think the TRUE story of what that life is like would be a best seller. I doubt we have seen how things really are on their tv show.

Ok, what is going on with Mom Dugger this time?

Quote Originally Posted by kidstookitall;4087189;
    Ok, what is going on with Mom Dugger this time?
    I'm not sure. I posted this same question on the TLC website. There is a poster over there who claims to be a relative who regularly visits in their home. You know how reliable that kind of info is. LOL
    I'll post back if I hear anything before tonight's show.

It looks like maybe her gall bladder is acting up again or her appendix.

+ Reply to Thread