+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree352Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Maybe not a great comparison so PLEASE, don't come down on me for this! I had two dogs. I REALLY only wanted one but a neighbor found a stray, chihuahua, and I reluctantly took her in. We ended up loving her soooooooo much and I ended up being very happy with my two dog situation! Then.......... my daughter found another stray (years later). I didn't want to keep her but we did. She wasn't as good of a fit as Pearl (the chihuahua) was... 6 months later, she is. I sometimes long for the days (though) of being just a two dog family. What a difference, having this one extra dog has made. I come home from work and I don't have enough hands to sit and pet all of them. They all need a little time with me and I always feel like each one isn't getting enough attention. I really feel sorry for Ace (my first dog that I actually looked for) because he was an "only child" for a few years and I'm sure that he misses the one on one contact. OK, so....... If I feel this was about my dogs, how can someone have 19 children and feel like they are giving each one the attention that they deserve? I don't have to home school these dogs or bathe them every day, OR brush their teeth every day OR comb their hair every day OR prepare them meals 3 times(?) a day. Opening cans of dog food is much easier! If they get in my way (cleaning house) they go into their kennels! Just adding one dog to the mix added so much more of a burden to my household. 19 children is an impossible situation! The mother and father have very little to do with the actual raising of the kids! There just isn't enough time in the day!

tvaholic,

Bless you for being such a caring pet owner. Many people don't give much thought into the care for their animals and many don't give much thought into the care of their children either. I think your comparison is quite fair. Of course, you could probably manage quite well for your muliple pets if you had a live-in person to handle all the food, a person to come in and do all your cleaning, and a person to do all your laundry as well as take care of the potty issues. With someone else taking all of those responsibilities, you might have the illusion that you have lots of free time to expand your family.

Debb, I am finally glad to see someone who views the Duggar situation with my point of view. I have been rather skeptical for the past 2 years over the Duggars. I thought when they had Jordyn (I think its her name), that would be the time they would say....Ok 18 kids is PLENTY. But it just seemed to not even exist in their mind. And then they had Josie, and she experienced a rather difficult pregnancy. She was not a healthy patient, her uterus and her pancreas and her gallbladder were showing signs of distress (IMO). And then she gave birth to a very premature, very ill baby.

How many months until she gets pregnant again? She will continue getting pregnant, she wont stop until she is forced to by a hysterectomy or menopause. What worries me, the older she gets, the older her eggs are. Her last baby, can be considered a "special needs" baby. But what happens if Baby 20 or Baby 21 is a physical/mental special needs baby. Michelle has already shown with Josie that, when she feels a child is "special" all of her time and attention goes to that child, and the rest of her children exist only in the expanse of time and space. If she continues to have more children and if the child has a genetic syndrome, well what happens to Josie?

Baby Josie may never get 'better'. I'm a nurse, and premature babies, at her stage of birth, have long lasting effects on their body. Asthma and other respiratory problems, but also behavioral/neurological, and then there is her immune system. Josie has the immune system of a cancer patient. And that just adds to the "take away time" that all the remainder children get to spend with their mom and new sibling.

I think her children have acted out, for a long time. However Michelle or Jim Bob do have Exec. Producer credits, which means they do have final say as to what gets left off the show....which would include anything that would be 'disparaging' to their lifestyle.

I also worry for their older children, they may be teenagers, but they are saddled with the responsibility of being a parental figure, especially the girls. They still need their mom's guidance, they don't need to be mothers to their younger siblings. If you can't look after all of your kids yourself, either hire another ADULT to help or don't have anymore, don't saddle your children with that heavy load of responsibility. Its wrong.

Michelle and Jim Bob have an obsession with children, they are like hoarders when it comes to getting pregnant. They need a healthy intervention. "God" is never going to tell them to stop because God doesnt do that. People have sex, they reproduce. So it is left into the hands of people to be responsible about birth control, its not in the hands of a Higher Power.

Okay, I am rambling.

Ownlyanangel20,
    You make some good points. After watching the show since it first came on, I can now say that I suspect that it is Michelle who is pushing the continued prenancies. Of couse, she has some help, but I really feel it is her. She seems VERY preoccupied with getting pregnant and birthing the babies. It's almost scary to watch her.

I also think both parents are obsessed with getting attention. I don't think they can get enough of it. I think that when the time arrives that she cannot have more babies, she will need much support to deal with it. It's like she has no identify other than a pregnant or nursing mother.

The need to grow the family appears so great that her perception of how her children are doing is impaired. She sees her older daughers are over burdened with housework, but it doesn't register. She sees her little kids barely recognize her and need individualized attention, but it doesn't cause her to act upon it. It is obvious she cannot take care of all those children, but she ignores it and just passes them off to other children. How do you handle something like that?

I wish she would forego some of her blessings from God for once and allow the children to have some.

I think that a lot of women, who keep getting pregnant, do it because it's the only time that they feel special. Possibly the only time that others notice them? Not everyone, but I'm sure that it's not uncommon. I wonder when it went from feeling special to a business choice for Michelle?

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4062756;
    I think that a lot of women, who keep getting pregnant, do it because it's the only time that they feel special. Possibly the only time that others notice them? Not everyone, but I'm sure that it's not uncommon. I wonder when it went from feeling special to a business choice for Michelle?

Good point. I do think they love the attention, fame and money very much. But somehow they don't understand that the viewers may turn on them when they get to their breaking point. How many babies, extended trips to the hospital, surgeries, etc., will the public watch before they say this is dangerous, foolish and not fun to watch anymore. I think the public's appreciation of how unfair it is to the older kids may be greater than the parent's. I don't think they will ever see the reality.

It's too bad, but once the public is done with you, your rating go down and TLC sends you on your way. I guess the question is, "Are there enough fans out there to watch them have an unlimited number of babies, no matter what the health outcome is?" As long as they exist, I guess the babies will keep coming and the cameras keep rolling.

Hey FORT FANS, I do not watch The Duggars but I do watch allot of shows on TLC. I have seen the commericals for The Duggars and would like to know is everything alright with the new baby? She looks so frail and does she have to wear some special feeding or breathing tubes?

TIA.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4066048;
    Hey FORT FANS, I do not watch The Duggars but I do watch allot of shows on TLC. I have seen the commericals for The Duggars and would like to know is everything alright with the new baby? She looks so frail and does she have to wear some special feeding or breathing tubes?

TIA.

Hey Momrek06,
    Yes, little Josie was born premature, but is home now and growing every day. In this past week's show she weighed around 10 pounds. That's great. The doctor said she was behind because of her early birth, but comparativly speaking she is progressing nicely. She still has that preemie look about her, but other than that she is doing good. They have resolved her intestinal problem with a special formula. I really hope she doesn't have any long standing problems such as developmental delays. Some things can't be detected until she is older.

She still uses oxygen, but gets a bread from it for a couple of hours per day. They are trying to wean her off of it.

I've always really enjoyed this show. I like watching the kids...the trips they take and even the everyday this n' that of running such a large household. But that's my point....I liked all the kids. Now approximately 1/2 of every show is a Josie update. I know she's a preemie...needs special care...has special needs...wears an oxygen cannula sometimes..doesn't like Dad to feed her...etc., etc. I'm sure Josie is sweet as pie and I hope she grows up to be a healthy hearty Duggar. But please......it's enough already. The portion of the show last nite about the photo shoot was a wonderful diversion. More of that and less of little Josie and Michelle babytalking us to death.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I used to enjoy this show alot, but the recent turn of events and attitudes makes me have a hard time continuing to watch.

During the last two episodes, there were a few scenes that I found very disappointing and disturbing.

One was last week, when baby Jordyn was left alone to try and climb up and down the stairs alone. She is not even 2 years old yet. Then, she went up to her mother and was telling her that she wanted something, in baby talk, and Michelle acted like she was an outsider, and told Jordyn to go over to Jana and tell her what she wanted. She didn't even touch the poor baby!! It was obvious that Michelle does not understand what Jordyn was saying, like most moms do, and didn't care to try.

Then, this week, Michelle actually had Jordyn in her room for a moment and picked her up to see Josie (this was the first time I have seen her pick up Jordyn since she had Josie). She went on and on about how much Jordyn loved Josie, and then took Jordyn out of her room and dumped her on the floor, saying that it was time for mama to get Josie ready for her doctor's appointment. The toddler was dismissed and mom walked off into her room, leaving Jordyn sitting outside the door - up a set of stairs - with noone but the camera guy around.

Michelle has basically given her other children to her daughters to raise and is acting like a new mother with one baby. Josie is all that she cares about and the other children are treated as if they are the children of her daughters, not her own. She is detached from them and sends them off to their "buddy".

I have continued watching because I am truly hoping that things will turn around, but I am starting to have my doubts.

My daughter, while watching last week with me said that she is having a hard time watching because she feels resentment towards Josie, when it isn't Josie's fault that her parents have dumped the others for her. I cannot imagine that the other children are not building up resentments over this themselves.

I really hope that JB & Michelle can pull this together because I was a big fan, and now.....not so much.

+ Reply to Thread