+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 234 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree353Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3257679;
    In Christianity women are less than men especially in the more fundamentalist sects. That's the reality of the religion first of all. The traditional marriage ceremony is a father giving up ownership of the daughter to the new husband for example and the Bible is riddled with passages about how women are basically inferior to men.

The dress thing does not make them subservient though. It is a choice of clothes. For many years in popular culture in this country in spite of religious beliefs wearing pants by women was not accepted at all. So this dress thing is not a new thing either. And if we break it down as stated before it is looked down upon in this country for men to wear women's clothes still. So there really is no such thing as "clothing equality."

The Amish and Mennonites are even restricted on what males can wear as well. So this clothing thing is not unusual.

Why must the girls wear pants? Secondly I know many "normal" parents who spent the better part of their small girl's lives trying to force them into wearing pretty dresses and cute clothes and all that stuff and who dictate through out the teen years what their children can and cannot wear. So really if you break it down there is little difference between the Duggars and many other people.
    I don't think they MUST. I think that every person should have the choice of what they want to put on their body. Including men wearing dresses. Its a personal choice. Call me crazy but.....I wouldn't want someone telling me what to wear.

But did anyone notice that Johanna had PANTS on beneath her jumper?!

And the Duggar girls dye & perm their hair, so they don't adhere to the strict culture aspects of fundamentalism. They also allow their children access to the internet (w/supervision - as it should be). Josh even has his own laptop. So I don't believe they're strict fundamentalists (like the Bates seem to be). They might just believe in some of Gothard's teachings. And have we ever seen them actually go to church on any shows? I don't recall.

I also completely disagree with the statement above that Christianity promotes women as less than men. Maybe some sects do (like Catholisism). In my church there are many, many female Methodist leaders. United Methodists have even embraced gay rights (about time) and have gay clergy & liturgists.

I believe everyone should have a choice too. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't have a choice.

The reality is that not many children christian, Duggar or not have a choice in what they put on their body. Every family in some way, shape or form controls their children's clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3257932;
    But did anyone notice that Johanna had PANTS on beneath her jumper?!
    If that was on the latest episode then I missed it. I still haven't seen the one where they welcome #18. I recently rewatched the skydiving episode and wondered how those girls would do that with a skirt on.
    CYA

Michelle had commented in the Bates visiting episode that they are more "liberal" with their family than with the Bates. The Bates children were interviewed throughout the episode as saying that the internet is chock full of bad stuff, blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3258201;
    Michelle had commented in the Bates visiting episode that they are more "liberal" with their family than with the Bates. The Bates children were interviewed throughout the episode as saying that the internet is chock full of bad stuff, blah blah blah.
    No, it's just that the sites that Daddy Bates surfs are chock full of bad stuff.

FORT Fanatic

Sometime in the last year or so, I saw a program about the Duggars where they showed them having church services in their own home. They get together with one or two other large families (and I guess anyone else who is interested) and have services at home.

I thought that Mr. Bates was really really creepy!!! There was something about him that I found very very strange. Can't put my finger on it but I feel like I might see his face on a mug shot soon!

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3258288;
    Sometime in the last year or so, I saw a program about the Duggars where they showed them having church services in their own home. They get together with one or two other large families (and I guess anyone else who is interested) and have services at home.
    I'm sure that I read somewhere that they had an extra large living room to accommodate their church members who meet in their home for services. Sure would be a lot more convenient than having to load the family up and go elsewhere, wouldn't it?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;3258366;
    I'm sure that I read somewhere that they had an extra large living room to accommodate their church members who meet in their home for services. Sure would be a lot more convenient than having to load the family up and go elsewhere, wouldn't it?
    YEP! Cheaper too. They save on gas by not having to drive to a place of worship AND they can write off part of their house since it is used as a "church".

+ Reply to Thread