+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, so maybe I'll join it! I think the Duggar kids don't have the obstacle of parents who aren't focused on higher learning. There's also the obstacle of their religious beliefs. There's just not many colleges that are that strict, and even if they were, would JB & Michelle let the kids leave home to attend them? And would it even occur to the kids to ask/go to school away from home? I was raised similarly to you, Debb (at least it sounds like it), and even as an adult, it just wouldn't have entered my mind to go away to school. Somethings were just understood. I did go to the church's Bible College, emphasis way more on Bible than college, and was able much later to parlay that into an accredited university. Even if the Duggar kids took half the time I took to get serious about a real education, by then they'd probably be too entrenched in their parent's lifestyle to do anything about it.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong w/ being a used-car salesman or owning a towing company. It just seems that used car salesman is a leap downward from being a lawyer, which was Josh's dream at one point.
    a lot of people have already said this, but there would be, in my opnion, a lot less wrong w/ being a salesman or tow truck operator if there really had been a choice. MHO

Wouldn't you think that with so many kids, some kind of vocational training may be helpful? What if some of these kids , when they grow up, can't make it in the world? Are JB and the incubator going to support them forever or are these kids going to go on welfare? Part of a parent's job, besides keeping the kids alive, is to prepare them for the world. It may be "Duggar World" right now but someday they will grow up and they will have NOTHING to bank on! REALLY?!?!?!? Does the world need another used car salesman? It's a joke. Even used car salesmen don't want to be used car salesmen! If this family is so loving and giving why aren't these kids being encouraged to be doctors or nurses? Why aren't they being pointed in the direction of occupations that make a difference? I assume that these kids are (probably) planning on going on with the family "tradition" of having ridiculously large families. How do they plan on financing them? Are they all hoping for reality shows to help them pay the bills? If this family wasn't famous! If they weren't the famous Duggars! If they were your next door neighbors and they had 19 kids, all being home schooled with no dreams of going to college most people would be telling their friends about the "Freak Family" that lives next door. Most would also keep their daughters away from the boys because of the fear that their daughter would become a baby factory! Yeah, yeah it's all well and fine (LOL) right now, Michelle (still) pumping out the babies but what about these kid's futures! I also want to add that this family, and their "movement" or 'beliefs", don't care about us. They have no interest in helping any of us! I see a future of Dugger offspring, all with dozens of kids and no means to support themselves. I sure hope that some of these kids manage to escape the "Duggar Compound". That place , to me, is just as scary as the one in Colorado Springs!

FORT Newbie

Thanks for saying about used car salesmen what I didn't have the moxie to say! The word "compound" is all too true. Did you know JB purposely bought his kazillion acres (can't remember exactly how many) so that if the kids want to, when they get married, can build their homes there? It is a creepy, sad situation. I guess we'll have to stay tuned...that one family could complete TLC's entire lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4048630;
    I thought she said two years.
    Yes, you're right. She did say two years, but it wasn't made clear if that means that Josie will need to be in a "bubble" in a hospital environment or if that would be something the family might try to construct and maintain there in the compound ... with all those scampering, climbing, curious tots...
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

Gosh, I know many families who have generations build on their land or choose to buy/build in the same neighborhood - all from varying religious and educational backgrounds - including my parents' and past step-parent's families. Had no idea we were all so creepy.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

As far as careers, I guess we can't all be lawyers.

I wouldn't discount the whole "going to college" thing as not important, but often degrees are overrated as a means to make a living. Didn't Gil Bates have some kind of career that required a degree but eventually started the tree service company at which his sons also work? (My friend's daughter has a degree in Sociology. She works for the phone company in customer service. I think college is wonderful to expand your knowledge, but not necessarily essential for everyone making it financially in today's world.) John David has acquired a tow truck and has been operating a towing business. He also has learned to, and enjoys driving heavy equipment and is very good at it. From what I've seen, the guys in that line of work do pretty well for themselves financially. (At least judging by what I've had to pay when I needed them!)

As far as Josie being in a bubble for two years, I could be mistaken, but I took that to mean that she would have limited contact with the outside world and they would be extra careful with her. On the previews for the coming week's show I didn't see a "bubble" around her as in the 80's movie of that name. Perhaps Michelle spoke figuratively?

So much of what we see is subjective in its interpretation. Also, the media (believe it or not!) loves to take a quote and run with it for sensationalism. The more sensational the better. Rather than the Duggars dying to conceive right now, is it possible that in an interview they were asked the question, "How would you feel if Michelle got pregnant right now?" And then they, according to their religious beliefs that children are sent from God and he wouldn't give them something they couldn't handle, said, "We'd welcome a child now." BIG HEADLINE! The Duggars want to get pregnant!

I still enjoy the show and think the parents do a good job and I'm giving Jim Bob and Michelle kudos till I see evidence to the contrary. JMO!

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4050506;
    Gosh, I know many families who have generations build on their land or choose to buy/build in the same neighborhood - all from varying religious and educational backgrounds - including my parents' and past step-parent's families. Had no idea we were all so creepy.
    I use the word as a creepiness-neutral noun to refer to the real estate practice similar to the one you describe, whether the people doing it are related to me, known to me, or just Seen by me On TV. But for me, just choosing to live in a particular hood because of close proximity to family or friends doesn't make it a compound. The deciding factor that confers the state of compoundhood is the lack of other-owned land in between, independent of the faith tradition of the purchasers, or whether they are related, or are motivated by a shared faith, tribal or cultural tradition or just a pragmatic wish to save gas and/or babysitter fees. I do think that in the case of the Duggars, that Josh chose Duggarland as the site for his first home, and a partner who is a member of the same or a similar sect, are both indications that he's content with that lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4050506;
    I use the word as a creepiness-neutral noun to refer to the real estate practice similar to the one you describe, whether the people doing it are related to me, known to me, or just Seen by me On TV.

But for me, just choosing to live in a particular hood because of close proximity to family or friends doesn't make it a compound.

The deciding factor that confers the state of compoundhood is the lack of other-owned land in between, independent of the faith tradition of the purchasers, or whether they are related, or are motivated by a shared faith, tribal or cultural tradition or just a pragmatic wish to save gas and/or babysitter fees.

I do think that in the case of the Duggars, that Josh chose Duggarland as the site for his first home, and a partner who is a member of the same or a similar sect, are both indications that he's content with that lifestyle.

I realize we are discussing the Duggar's, but when talking about their religious beliefs and higher education, this is not the only religion that does not believe in education. The Amish, for example, only go to school until the 8th grade.
    There's no place like home!

FORT Fogey

Correct. But it's sort of different. The Amish lifestyle is very separate from that of the rest of the world. High school is mostly about preparing you for either college or the work force. Amish people don't go to college, and Amish kids learn what job skills they'll need from all around them. They really will get all they need from an 8th-grade education. It's not handicapping them at all for the world they're going to live in. And Amish parents don't pretend that they're valuing education beyond that, or that they encourage their kids to explore what the outside world has to offer.

The Duggars, on the other hand, do not put an emphasis on education at all but their kids are still living in the modern world. They claim that they give their kids choices, but how much choice can you have if you have no education to stand on?

+ Reply to Thread