+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Well....making judgments is kind of why we're all here....

Any kind of publicity is good for the show, I guess, but what about their children?

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4045955;
    Well....making judgments is kind of why we're all here....

Any kind of publicity is good for the show, I guess, but what about their children?
    This is true. There doesn't seem to be any real interest in the kids welfare. They pay lip service to things like education, but they don't really provide it. I guess I wouldn't have an issue with JB and Michelle having as many kids as they want, IF they would actually be the caregivers. The problem is they are having kids for others to raise. This is so selfish IMO.

What I think would be fitting is if next time Michelle announces her pregnancy on The Today Show, the older kids yell NO WAY! WE'RE SICK OF DOING YOUR JOB AND WE"RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE! Then JB and Michelle can keep that sweet little smile and explain that the kids are just cranky, but they are all very happy about baby #20.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

In one of the last episodes I saw, I thought I saw JB called one of his daughters and they were both using i-phones. Maybe I was wrong, but didn't the Dugger message use to consist of living a simple life and not needing cool new toys, and that was how they could afford all the children. I mean, wasn't JB always preaching about not needing new things, making due with used stuff. This show, and the family, is going the way of the Gosselins. It used to be a show looking at how this different family functioned. Now it is a show about the wonderful adventures that this family gets to go on, provided for them rather than costing them money. Now they are wealthy enough to afford i-phones or have been given i-phones. Maybe they used a coupon for them.

Heartfelt condolences go out to Michelle for the loss of her dad. I know the show was filmed a while back, but I lost my father (who also had dementia) 19 years ago and it still hurts.

I actually watched a full episode, since it was rightfully pointed out that I made a comment about a garden without knowledge I have to say, they are lovely children and a nice family. I still disagree with them, but wish them no ill. I will point out this: I hope people take this as a piece of fluff reality TV show because they gave out at least 2 pieces of medical information that are patently false. One was regarding lactose intolerance to breast milk, and the other was that a person was totally protected from shingles if they contracted chicken pox. There were others, but I can't recall them right now.

Honestly, I especially loved the kids. Michelle came across as very "stepford wife" to me, almost as if she was part of a cult. Jim Bob seemed pleasant but kind of aloof. These are just MY impressions. I also couldn't imagine having my elderly mother doing 25 hours of my laundry a week. I'm sure it is voluntarily, but still.

Usually someone is on a reality show because there is something different or unusual about them to interest the public to watch. The Duggars are certainly in that catagory! Because they are so different, it is easy for us to find the reasons we disagree with them. Most of those reasons go back to their religious beliefs: their decision as far as birth control, the way they dress, home schooling and so on. I think these are all valid points and I am on the same page as many of you in your arguments.
    I do feel bad when we "throw the baby out with the bathwater," so to speak, and everything they do becomes evil, wrong or perverted. I see them as basically good people who live their beliefs, have happy, engaging children and are pretty darn good parents.
    They also seem to be a little "damned if you do, damned if you don't." People were concerned about Josie coming home to a full house of germy siblings but if the kids leave and Michelle is there alone taking care of Josie, she was wrong to do that. Some have complained that the extended family wasn't helping enough, but when Grandma Duggar helps with laundry during a difficult time then that was wrong. (For the record, they asked her not to, told her to just "chill" in the girls' words but she said wanted to help. She doesn't usually do the laundry. She was helping out due to the circumstance. And finally, if I were her, I would take exception to being called elderly! I'm not sure how old she is, but it can't be that much older than me. YIKES!)
    Also, I did a little bit of research on the two medical issues that Canuck mentioned. While this too is something I'm sure would be open to debate, there is some research that says that chicken pox may help prevent shingles. (Actually, more people say that say it predisposes you, for what it's worth.) Perhaps the Duggar's doctor at some point told them that?
    And as far as lactose intolerance, lactose is milk sugar and, though it would be extremely rare for a full term baby to not tolerate breast milk, it is not uncommon for preemies to have the condition. Lactose intolerance does include intolerance to breast milk but tends to get better as the infant gets older. (One of my daughters couldn't handle my breastmilk if I had dairy. She outgrew her intolerance but still has an aversion to milk!)
    It's great to have this board to discuss the shows we like to watch (or love to hate.) I just hope there's room for a little bit of "pro" to go along with all the "con!"

I have read much criticism elsewhere of Grandma doing so much work for the family. That may be why they made the comment about Grandma WANTING to do the work. Really? I'm sure she wants to see to it that her grandchildren are clean and healthy, but I bet she's not amused that JB and Michelle think nothing of others bearing the burden of their choice to have so many kids. As I have said before. If they want them, then they should raise them themself, without the kids and other people doing the majority of the work. When you require the help that they require, then it's too many kids.

I think they may have read all of the comments about their diet, thus the spinach and corn on the plates for dinner. That's a good thing.

I was appalled when one of the daughers said that their dad had done a good job of taking care of the little kids because that was not his jurisdiction. What? How can taking care of your own kids not be your duty? Oh, I forgot, that's the older girls duty. Glad dad was able to chip in and help them out.
    It's so frustrating.

I felt sorry for the sick kids. I had a TERRIBLE case of chicken pox when I was 15 years old. This was before the vaccine came out in the 1980's. I was very ill with fever, chills, nausea and intense itching. It was one of the sickest times of my life. I literally had pox all over my body. It's so difficult to not scratch. I only had one scar that didn't fade away.

I do have sympathy for the family for the loss of Michelle's father. I can only imagine how terrible it is to lose a parent. I was heartbroken when I lost my grandparents. It seems like a lot of terrible things hit them right in a row.

I can't say I would have stayed in that big house in Little Rock by myself if I were Michelle. I would have been very uncomfortable with all the squeaks and moans in an old, big house. How scary!

REF. the lactose intolerance. I did some research and found that the symptoms most often with that is diarrhea, which Josie never had. She had complete constipation. I never figured that out. I guess if she's thriving, that's all that matters.

FORT Fogey

Hi nanarama! I wanted to respond to your post, because I know how it feels to be "pro" when the board seems to have been taken over by "antis". I suppose I would say I disagree with a lot of what this family does, but I would never say I am "anti-Duggar" because I of course wish them the best and hope that everything works out for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4047878;
    Usually someone is on a reality show because there is something different or unusual about them to interest the public to watch. The Duggars are certainly in that catagory! Because they are so different, it is easy for us to find the reasons we disagree with them. Most of those reasons go back to their religious beliefs: their decision as far as birth control, the way they dress, home schooling and so on. I think these are all valid points and I am on the same page as many of you in your arguments.
    I do feel bad when we "throw the baby out with the bathwater," so to speak, and everything they do becomes evil, wrong or perverted. I see them as basically good people who live their beliefs, have happy, engaging children and are pretty darn good parents.
    I don't have a problem with the Duggars choices regarding their religious beliefs. I believe firmly in the right of all people to practice all religions. However, I believe that all rights come with responsibilities. If the Duggars want to homeschool, fine! I've met lots of wonderful, well-rounded homeschooled kids. But it's a matter of making sure they are truly getting the education they need, and I don't see that they are.

And again, with the birth control. It's not a matter of them not using birth control, it's a question of what appears to me to be them actively trying to have more kids when it seems like it's beginning to wear on the other children who already exist, and have a right to a mother and father who can devote some time to them as an individual. What about the rights of the existing children?

Another question I have is, how happy and content can they truly be when they've only been really shown one option for life? Happiness isn't everything. Discontent is part of growing up, it's part of still having family responsibilities but realizing that soon you're going to be an adult doing things your way, be it at college or in the workforce. It's this choice that allows us to be truly content in our adult lives, because we know we chose our own paths. These girls don't seem to have been shown any other option than the one that is before them.

Someone mentioned the Amish tradition where, at 16, kids go out into the modern world for a year, sometimes with a host family. I think that's a fantastic idea for the Duggar girls. Let them experience making their own decisions about what they want to do in their life, without worrying about "who's going to take care of the kids." I think they have a right to some time as young girls, without being mothers too.

Some kids will stay at home forever, content to be secure in their sheltered world forever, but a responsible parent pushes them to at least explore other options, no matter how much they might want their babies at home still.

They also seem to be a little "damned if you do, damned if you don't." People were concerned about Josie coming home to a full house of germy siblings but if the kids leave and Michelle is there alone taking care of Josie, she was wrong to do that. Some have complained that the extended family wasn't helping enough, but when Grandma Duggar helps with laundry during a difficult time then that was wrong. (For the record, they asked her not to, told her to just "chill" in the girls' words but she said wanted to help. She doesn't usually do the laundry. She was helping out due to the circumstance. And finally, if I were her, I would take exception to being called elderly! I'm not sure how old she is, but it can't be that much older than me. YIKES!)
    I sort of agree with you here. I did disagree with the poster who protested Michelle bringing the baby home to the empty house, it just made sense to do it that way. Although I believe the poster's point was that ALL the kids need time with their mommy, not just Josie. It is a lose-lose situation - no matter what Michelle does it's going to be the wrong thing for someone. I think that's part of what has us all worried.

Also, I did a little bit of research on the two medical issues that Canuck mentioned. While this too is something I'm sure would be open to debate, there is some research that says that chicken pox may help prevent shingles. (Actually, more people say that say it predisposes you, for what it's worth.) Perhaps the Duggar's doctor at some point told them that?
    Or maybe they just got confused? I'm sure that they are constantly having medical information thrown at them, what with Josie's fragility and if the kids were sick... it'd be easy.

And as far as lactose intolerance, lactose is milk sugar and, though it would be extremely rare for a full term baby to not tolerate breast milk, it is not uncommon for preemies to have the condition. Lactose intolerance does include intolerance to breast milk but tends to get better as the infant gets older. (One of my daughters couldn't handle my breastmilk if I had dairy. She outgrew her intolerance but still has an aversion to milk!)
    I think you're right, I've heard of it before. And, by the way, we can't possibly know Josie's entire medical history up until now, so we really have no reason to believe she's never presented with any symptom of this lactose intolerance.

It's great to have this board to discuss the shows we like to watch (or love to hate.) I just hope there's room for a little bit of "pro" to go along with all the "con!"
    I'm sure there is! I hope my statements engender discussion and don't offend, if they do, please let me know as that was NOT my intent!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4047901;
    I think they may have read all of the comments about their diet, thus the spinach and corn on the plates for dinner. That's a good thing.
    Or maybe just some of them read some of the comments - they did have the spinach, if that's what the green stuff was, but to protect the family from its carb or starch-reducing rays, they were careful to make sure the plates also contained pasta and corn two ways!

Did anyone else catch Michelle saying something about how Josie would have to spend the first years of her life in a kind of bubble?

How will that work in the midst of all those toddlers?
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

Regarding the Amish, "rumspringga" occurs before they are baptized in the Church. Being baptized is the final step and they want to be sure one is completely ready. This time might go one for several years too. Once one is baptized you can't "leave and come back".

I too have noticed much starch in the Duggar's diet!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread