+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;4042192;
    Thank you, Nana!
    ...nanarama, Iím glad you peeked out and said what you did. Nice post.
    I realize there's a wide range of appreciation for this family and how they live. I admire how they live their convictions.
    I suspect the separation from her family was harder on Michelle than we may ever know. She seems like one to approach any situation with a positive attitude, no matter how hurt, scared or sad she may feel inside. I think she's a great mother, and those kids are a reflection of her handiwork.
    It takes all kinds of folks to make difference in this world, and believe there's much to value in the way this family serves.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4042401;
    ...nanarama, Iím glad you peeked out and said what you did. Nice post.
    I realize there's a wide range of appreciation for this family and how they live. I admire how they live their convictions.
    I suspect the separation from her family was harder on Michelle than we may ever know. She seems like one to approach any situation with a positive attitude, no matter how hurt, scared or sad she may feel inside. I think she's a great mother, and those kids are a reflection of her handiwork.
    It takes all kinds of folks to make difference in this world, and believe there's much to value in the way this family serves.
    IMO Michelle certainly has talents, but taking heed to the condition of her children is not one of them. I think she and her husband are blind to the issues with their children. I don't think it's an intentional neglect. I think she and JB believe they are in the right, despite evidence to the contrary, but ill informed and deluded people are often sincere in their beliefs. It doesn't make them bad people.

I actually read the piece on the Duggars in the People's August 25 issue where they are on the cover. I'm really surprised although I thought I already knew what it was going to say. It still makes you feel a little ill.
    JB says "We have only 20 years of productive life ahead. I want it to be fast and furious." (What does that mean? It's not a good visual.) Michelle says, "I want to bless my husband, to lift him up and encourage him." (I don't think he needs encouraging, Michelle.)

In the article, Jeanne Safer, Ph.D., a psychotherapist, states that the parent's behavior seems to be utterly obsessed without regard to the impact on their family. This is so true and what many people have been saying.

The article doesn't really address much about the children and what they like and what they dream of, with the exception of the older two trraveling for 2 weeks to Inochina and the older kids learning CPR so they can help Josie if she runs into trouble breathing. They mention the chicken pox and how the other kids have to stay extra clean to protect Josie. I wonder why everything is about the parents wants and dreams and not the kids. The kids happiness and welfare should come first. Just because you keep the child alive and breathing does not make you a good parent.

JB defends accusations that the older children do too much work by saying they are raising good citizens whose focus is to help others. Really? How about the children helping themselves to things like education and individuality? It seems they are helping their parents live the parent's dreams without regard for the children's dreams.

Michelle speaks of the fear and stress of having the full responsiblity of Josie's care when she was released from the hospital. She reminds us she had no nurses. Well, actually when you have the daughters that she has to take care of the rest of her family and to do all housework while you are at the hosptial all day, you are far ahead many mothers who don't have substiutes to step in and allow you 24/7 of time to devote to the infant.
    I like Michelle, but honestly, she is so obsessed with infants that she just can't see the forest for the trees.

As I look at the photos of JB and Michelle looking lovingly at Josie in the magazine, I can't help but feel sorry for this little girl, as soon as she grows out of the infant stage she will be just another kid in the background to run around her older sister's coattail's and wonder what happened to her mommy. Of course by that time her mommy will be proudly displaying baby #20 for all to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4042586;
    IMO Michelle certainly has talents, but taking heed to the condition of her children is not one of them. I think she and her husband are blind to the issues with their children. I don't think it's an intentional neglect. I think she and JB believe they are in the right, despite evidence to the contrary, but ill informed and deluded people are often sincere in their beliefs. It doesn't make them bad people.

I actually read the piece on the Duggars in the People's August 25 issue where they are on the cover. I'm really surprised although I thought I already knew what it was going to say. It still makes you feel a little ill.
    JB says "We have only 20 years of productive life ahead. I want it to be fast and furious." (What does that mean? It's not a good visual.) Michelle says, "I want to bless my husband, to lift him up and encourage him." (I don't think he needs encouraging, Michelle.)

In the article, Jeanne Safer, Ph.D., a psychotherapist, states that the parent's behavior seems to be utterly obsessed without regard to the impact on their family. This is so true and what many people have been saying.

The article doesn't really address much about the children and what they like and what they dream of, with the exception of the older two trraveling for 2 weeks to Inochina and the older kids learning CPR so they can help Josie if she runs into trouble breathing. They mention the chicken pox and how the other kids have to stay extra clean to protect Josie. I wonder why everything is about the parents wants and dreams and not the kids. The kids happiness and welfare should come first. Just because you keep the child alive and breathing does not make you a good parent.

JB defends accusations that the older children do too much work by saying they are raising good citizens whose focus is to help others. Really? How about the children helping themselves to things like education and individuality? It seems they are helping their parents live the parent's dreams without regard for the children's dreams.

Michelle speaks of the fear and stress of having the full responsiblity of Josie's care when she was released from the hospital. She reminds us she had no nurses. Well, actually when you have the daughters that she has to take care of the rest of her family and to do all housework while you are at the hosptial all day, you are far ahead many mothers who don't have substiutes to step in and allow you 24/7 of time to devote to the infant.
    I like Michelle, but honestly, she is so obsessed with infants that she just can't see the forest for the trees.

As I look at the photos of JB and Michelle looking lovingly at Josie in the magazine, I can't help but feel sorry for this little girl, as soon as she grows out of the infant stage she will be just another kid in the background to run around her older sister's coattail's and wonder what happened to her mommy. Of course by that time her mommy will be proudly displaying baby #20 for all to see.
    Well said

Fantastic Debb70! The best post e-v-e-r!!!!!

Thanks for the comments. I really do like the family. I only wish them the best. God only knows what is in store for them.

I saw the People magazine cover that the Duggers are on last night at the store...with that caption that they are ready for more. Sounds to me like rather than waiting to see if God blesses them with more children, they are going to take a pro-active stance in insuring that they have more children. Their sickly baby just got home....something's just not right here. I think I read somewhere once that there's a psychological condition where some women just love being pregnant and desire to be pregnant all the time because they like the feeling and experience of being pregnant. Seems like Michelle might suffer from this because everytime she pushes out a baby, she wants to get pregnant again. Just a thought...

FORT Fogey

Probably. I think she's addicted to being needed the way an infant needs its mother. A toddler doesn't have that immediate need, and so she then loses interest... especially since she hasn't been without an infant in what? Twenty years? And she's never had to learn how to content herself without that connection.

FORT Newbie

I remember the show several years ago when the Duggars were traveling and one of the little boys wandered off alone and got lost in an airport.

Security called out over the intercom and the dad went to get the little boy who was crying.

The next scene was the boy being comforted by...a sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4043788;
    ...I read somewhere once that there's a psychological condition where some women just love being pregnant and desire to be pregnant all the time because they like the feeling and experience of being pregnant. Seems like Michelle might suffer from this...
    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4045178;
    Probably. I think she's addicted to being needed the way an infant needs its mother...
    Now those are thought-provoking ideas! I'll admit I haven't really given much thought to the possible psychological stuff going on, I've been inclined to just take them at their word that it's a faith-based thing, related to the doctrines of their sect.

Not that I don't do my share of Duggar-pondering, but it tends to drift toward what effects if any, being on a reality show it will have on the Duggar children as they grow up.

It's an interesting paradox - on the one hand, another major aspect of "Duggar behavior" that, like their reproductive choices, is also faith-based, is limiting contact with "the outside world," - not just "real life interaction" with people who don't belong to their sect, or a similar one, but also limiting general exposure to the larger society in terms of media, the internets, etc.

Yet the very fact of their being on a reality show has, of necessity, meant a lot more interaction with non-sect members as well as exposure to, well, just a lot more of that outside world than most kids who grow up in that kind of closed subculture.

That they are on TV more than they watch it is of itself an odd thing to contemplate.

Recently one of the UK channels did a 4-part series about a group of Amish teens from the US who visit for a week with four different families or groups of friends in the UK.

This was possible because of a tradition called Romspringa practiced by some Amish groups, where teens are not only allowed, but encouraged, to explore the outside world before making a permanent commitment to spending their life in the Amish community.

It got me to wondering, does being on the reality show act as a kind of de facto Romspringa for the Duggar teens?

In the years since the show began, we've already seen the whole family embrace some cosmetic and "styling" changes, from clothing to hair to makeup.

I've wondered how much of that has been the idea of the production office, just a routine occurrence reflecting the "reality" that viewers are more likely to watch attractive people (which opens the door to a whole nother question!) versus how much of that increased interest in fashion and personal adornment has originated with the Duggars themselves, as a reaction to all that contact with the outside world, seeing different hairstyles, and learning about new hair products - beyond their father's famous love of hair spray!

Will it occur to any of them, the girls especially, as they watch the crew at work around them , the producers and production assistants, that they could do sound one day, or become a makeup artist or a producer?

Or is that something that would be more likely for the younger ones, who will grow up with little, if any memory, of a time when they were NOT on a reality show?

So far, only one of the Duggar kids has "left the nest," and he gives every indication of being content with sect life, having chosen (or accepted a parent-made choice, that's never been made entirely clear, and isn't really any of our business) a spouse in the same sect or one very like it, but how many of the remaining 18 (and counting!) will choose that lifestyle?

Will the experience of being on the show increase the likelihood that any or all of them will choose mainstream culture?

Or are there any of them who don't really enjoy the cameras that much, and are looking forward to being able to retreat even further into the subculture once they, too grow up and leave their parents' home?
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan.

Just remember we only see an edited version on tv. I make judgements on what is shown also, then have to stop and remember this is only tv. Any kind of publicity is good.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread