+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree449Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Last night's show was rather frustrating IMO. Maybe someone can shed some light on why after Josie got out of the hospital for the second time, only Michelle stayed to be with her while the rest of the family took off traveling. Those little kids have been without their mother for many months and it really shows.

Michelle was in that hospital room for Josie every waking hour. Don't the other children need to see her too? I realize Josie needs rest and all, but something could certainly have been worked out instead of continuing to keep mother away from her other children. Josie was born before Christmas, so that would have put the kids without their mom for over 6 months when she came home the second time.

When talking about the separation, Michelle said the family had to go on with their own lives! That's why they left her their with Josie at the Little Rock house. What? How can her toddlers and little children go on with their own lives when she's the mother and has had little to no interaction with them in 6 months? I'm rather speechless she feels that way, but I guess it proves my contention that she has no interest in anyone except for her husband and the infant in her arms. Nothing else seems to matter to her.

I guess I'm the only person left on the board who still kind of likes the Duggars!
    I'll hasten to say that I certainly don't agree with everything they do and their beliefs are not my beliefs. While I really wish they wouldn't have any more children at this point, I think they do a pretty good job with the ones they have.
    As far as Michelle staying home alone with Josie when she was released from the hospital, interestingly enough, I remember prior to Josie's first release there were those who said Josie shouldn't come home to a full house of kids and germs. That she should be alone with her mom till she was a little more stable. Now they've done that and it's the wrong thing to do?
    What I have seen from watching the show regularly is that Michelle is a pretty hands on mom. Yes, she has her older kids help but she is rarely seen without a child in her arms or interacting and teaching - in what to me is a positive way. It isn't as though she's off getting pedicures while the older girls slave away.
    The older kids seem well adjusted and pretty happy. I agree that they should be allowed to pursue what ever path they want in life. I personally haven't noticed their parents discouraging that. Maybe the kids are doing what they want?
    They seem to try to be pretty supportive as shown by them getting Jana the harp she wanted which was a very expensive instrument to want to play. (I can relate because I have a daughter who is a violinist and I could NEVER afford the quality of violin she would like to have had.)
    My feelings are colored somewhat by the fact that I have gotten to know many families through my bridal shop who have beliefs similar to the Duggars (But with fewer children!) They are such nice people (never a bridezilla in the bunch) and I admire their convictions even though I don't share their beliefs. I have also noticed that plenty of the girls have adopted those very conservative beliefs as they get older which are different from their parents' more mainstream religions. Not all have been "brainwashed" by parents.
    So, I can see many valid points raised here and can't think the Duggars are perfect, but I think their hearts are in the right place and they try to be truly good people who are trying to live their religion. I don't desire to go back and forth debating each point of their flaws, (I couldn't stand the scrutiny if someone were to examine my life either,) but I wish them well and think they have a pretty entertaining, nice, happy family.

Hey Nanarama, you sound like a very nice person and I too wish the family all the best. I have posted here that I too think that Michelle has some great qualities. She's an easy person to like because she seems kind and is so charming, however, I'm really wondering if she is thinking about her other children's welfare. I mean, even though you have one sick child in the hospital, you can't just drop all the other children onto others month after month. Doing that seems very easy for her.

In the previous episode, she said the remainder of the family was going back home to get back into their own beds and regular routine. Then they went home and immedicately hit the road to appear in a movie and then to visit the Bates. What? The kids need to see their mother. Maybe, I'm missing something, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Also, pay closer attention to the older girls. They do NOT appear happy. They look like they are miserable and/or overwhelmed most of the time. And who wouldn't be with the amount of responsibility they have.

Hopefully, happier times are ahead. Except I read somewhere that all the kids get chicken pox and that further delays Michelle from coming home. I think that means the kids didn't get immunized. I'm almost afraid to ask why not.

FORT Fogey

One of the things that make me the most angry in the world is when parents don't immunize their children. It sickens me, it really does. BUT in this case the Duggar kids may very well have been immunized. Both my brother and I were immunized against chicken pox and we still got it. What the chicken pox immunization does is it greatly lessens the chance that it will be deadly. You may get a milder case - just the awful itchies and a fever and generally feel really lousy. It's like the flu shot - you might still get the flu, but you won't get AS sick as you would have.

I certainly think that the Duggar family loves their children and they don't believe they are hurting them - but how hard are the looking?? Just because they don't discourage the kids from pursuing a higher education or experiencing things outside of their very narrow religious world doesn't mean they encourage it. I think responsible parents should encourage kids to seek their own interests and branch out of what they know.

Maybe this is because if the older girls experienced some freedom and the chance to be young girls instead of mommies, they'd be less "happy."

this was in June:

12 kids with chicken pox? My word.

Duggar Baby No. 19 Returns Home at The Insider

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's youngest child, baby Josie, has returned to their family home after months of hospitalization and a recent stay at the family's rental home.

People.com reports that Josie, who was hospitalized for months after being born prematurely, returned home from Little Rock to Tontitown, Ark., on June 25 at a healthier weight of 9 pounds, 1 ounce.

According to People, Josie's return home was delayed after her June 3 release from the hospital because 12 of her siblings had the chicken pox. Because of the risk of exposure, Josie and her mother spent three weeks at their family's rental home until it was safe to go home.

Josie was welcomed by 17 of her siblings and "Welcome Home" banners. "It is good to be home," happy mom Michelle told People. "It is surreal to be here. It was such a long time we were away."

Baby Josie was born prematurely on December 10. Catch the latest with the Duggar family on their TLC reality series, "19 Kids and Counting."
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

I had to stop reading this thread because it was soooooo frustrating to read posts by people actually supporting this weird family. Honestly, it warms my heart to hear that some are second guessing them. It's NOT NORMAL to have this many kids and they wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of modern science (which kinda goes outside of their beliefs). Now, I enjoy the posts that are "turning" on these creeps. I don't follow the Duggars too closely but I couldn't miss the headline, on the tabloid, at the grocery store. "We're Ready for More"! These people are NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4042106;
    Sorry about the double post. I tried to edit and ended up posting , again. Why can't we edit anymore?
    I've double posted and was not able to delete. However, when it does not post twice, I am able to edit. Weird buggie.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Thank you, Nana! I was reading the thread and was feeling frustrated that everyone was running with the no-garden thing when they do have a garden. To have accurate information, it is really helpful to watch the show you are commenting on.

The Duggars have a large garden and eat lots of fresh veggies, along with the casseroles that are on their "recipe" area. They also use ground turkey in their recipes, instead of beef, for the lower-fat benefits. The tator-tot casserole is actually a classic Weight Watcher's recipe (which Michelle and Jana have been a part of for many years). The kids' favorite snack is dill pickles, which is a pretty healthy choice compared to many other snack-foods.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4041395;
    Last night's show was rather frustrating IMO. Maybe someone can shed some light on why after Josie got out of the hospital for the second time, only Michelle stayed to be with her while the rest of the family took off traveling. Those little kids have been without their mother for many months and it really shows.

Michelle was in that hospital room for Josie every waking hour. Don't the other children need to see her too? I realize Josie needs rest and all, but something could certainly have been worked out instead of continuing to keep mother away from her other children. Josie was born before Christmas, so that would have put the kids without their mom for over 6 months when she came home the second time.

When talking about the separation, Michelle said the family had to go on with their own lives! That's why they left her their with Josie at the Little Rock house. What? How can her toddlers and little children go on with their own lives when she's the mother and has had little to no interaction with them in 6 months? I'm rather speechless she feels that way, but I guess it proves my contention that she has no interest in anyone except for her husband and the infant in her arms. Nothing else seems to matter to her.
    I noticed that too. Seems at the very least, the other youngest girls could have stayed with Michelle. The good news is, JB wasn't there either, so they're not making another Baby! It's probably easier on the older girls to be in their own home, but that's another post altogether....

I read the other posts about the boys working around the house--y'all are just silly. Obviously you haven't yet learned that house work is for the wimmin-folk. Do you remember what the girls said about the moldy food left around the house? They weren't in the least upset or disgusted, because of course, guys wouldn't think to throw it out. Almost seemed like they expectd the mess.

As far as a garden, ya kinda have to be at home to have one of those, not being in the movies, visiting a parrot farm...

FORT Newbie

And I really believe that JB was ironing his own shirt, too. Anybody have a bridge they wanna sell me?

+ Reply to Thread