+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Fogey

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by karna68;4038358;
    Again, just because they try to get pregnant doesn't mean they will, take it from me I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I'm sorry for your troubles.

I think the upsetting thing, though, is that they're not planning on stopping. Even if they're just trying, that makes the statement that they really don't care about the health of the baby, at least not so much that it matters more than their need to pop out baby after baby. It shows they still have little regard for their existing children. I think we were all hoping, for the sake of everyone in the family, that they would see this as a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4038349;
    I don't know if this has been brought up before, but out of curiosity I went to their web site and scrolled through their favourite recipes. HOLY SODIUM BATMAN! With Michelle's propensity for pre-eclampsia, I hope they try to cut out all those canned soups. Velveeta! Cans of soup, tatertots...my arteries start to harden just reading those recipes. I understand they are cooking for a bunch of people, but they could grow a garden, which by the way is part of many, many middle school curriculums as a teaching tool. I would love to see them eat healthier foods. As far as her having another baby, I am not surprised. It's part of the Quiver Full beliefs. If she dies in childbirth she will attain martyr status
    They've had an episode or two where they show what they cook for meals and like you, I was shocked. They live in the south, they could easily maintain a garden almost year around. In addition, they live in the country and could easily house a chicken coop and get fresh eggs daily. That would be another great activity and teaching moment for the kids. Then again, there homeschooling seems a bit like a joke.

Well, they seem to be thrifty (which I admire, don't get me wrong), so I can't see why they wouldn't grow their own stuff and can some things . My son had great fun doing a community garden in about grade six, and spent all of his spare time tending to it. It is a wonderful way for kids to learn.

I noticed that they hardly eat any green veggies. Lots of pizzas and corn and potatoes.

If you have watched many of the older episodes, you would notice how the family has very limited taste in food. Most new or exotic foods are met with eye rolls or turned up noses.

A home garden is quite a bit of work. We had one when I was growing up. You have to weed it, keep bugs off, harvest when it' time, etc. Because it grows in the summer time, most of the work is done early in the morning before it gets so hot. They are not morning people. I also don't think they are big vegetable eaters either.

I think that they would be hard pressed to have the older girls tending the garden plus doing all the housework, child care and schooling. They are also very busy with their travel schedules. From personal appearances to appearing in movies, the family is pretty busy.

Here's a thought: Maybe the boys could do it. I've had a lot of vegetable gardens myself and know how much work they are. I thought their motto was "Many hands make light work".

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4039343;
    Here's a thought: Maybe the boys could do it. I've had a lot of vegetable gardens myself and know how much work they are. I thought their motto was "Many hands make light work".
    I think that's a great idea, but I don't think it's likely the boys will have any extra chores around the house. LOL Do you recall how both times the girls returned to the house from Little Rock, there was lots of molded food around? The boys couldn't even throw out moldy food? I don't think they are used to doing much for themselves. I agree with you. The work could be spread around a little more evenly if the boys were included, but we all know that boys shouldn't do "woman's work." LOL

I don't claim to be an expert on the Duggar's eating habits and I do agree they seem to eat too much fat and processed foods. However, a few seasons back a friend asked for and was granted permission to plant a large garden on their land and the family all helped in it. They learned alot about gardening and got fresh produce from the deal.
    As a fellow Southerner, I believe the type diet they eat is not uncommon for the region and it also goes along with the typical "church pot-luck" type of food in conservative congregations.
    Maybe when things settle down they will get into more healthy eating habits.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;4040278;
    IMaybe when things settle down they will get into more healthy eating habits.
    And that will happen when they have 20 dhildren?

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4038405;
    I'm sorry for your troubles.

I think the upsetting thing, though, is that they're not planning on stopping. Even if they're just trying, that makes the statement that they really don't care about the health of the baby, at least not so much that it matters more than their need to pop out baby after baby. It shows they still have little regard for their existing children. I think we were all hoping, for the sake of everyone in the family, that they would see this as a sign.
    Thank you

I do agree with you, my point is if they keep trying and are not sucessful then maybe they will realize that they're done. They've both commented more than once (Michelle more than JB) that just maybe they're getting a little too old. Yes you are, I think once grandchildren started coming along they should have stoppped. JMO

+ Reply to Thread