+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

FORT Newbie

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4028153;
    I think part of the problem with Michelle is that she had all her first ones, when it was still in reasonable numbers, so close together that she never figured out how to move past that toddler stage emotionally. Like, when the oldest (I guess Josh) was still a baby, she had the next one she could focus on in the infant stage. And so on. An infant really needs it's mother all the time, and I don't think she would really know what to do with herself if someone didn't need her that way.
    That could very well be. I don't have kids, so this is an unqualified opinion, but I thought it was a little creepy that when the family left for that conference when Josie was in the hospital, Michelle couldn't enjoy the alone time. She came home to sleep, and that was it. She said a clean but empty house "didn't make sense" to her. Seems like she really hates being alone. Like I said, not having kids to have breaks from, I don't know if that was a normal reaction. I do know that if I had 19 kids, there is no doubt in my mind I'd enjoy the reprieve. 'Course, if I had 19 kids, I'd probably need to be so medicated it wouldn't make a difference!

My only experience with a large family is an Aunt that had 9 children. She conceived all naturally and actually had 2 sets of twins that are fraternal. The youngest child was always resented by the older siblings because someone had to stay home to watch Julie on friday/saturday nights. We have 2 children and I do believe that they are a gift from God but I also take responsibility to care for them. We would let the older sibling watch the younger but it is for limited amounts of time and not day after day. If we had more children then I would look upon them as my responsibility. The one episode that I remember watching was a their new house and Michele and the girls were proudly showing off the organization of the clothing room. All I could think of is that is looks like an orphanage. I feel sorry for the children because so much of their childhood is spent doing what I consider the adult responsibilities.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duggar groupie;4028247;
    That could very well be. I don't have kids, so this is an unqualified opinion, but I thought it was a little creepy that when the family left for that conference when Josie was in the hospital, Michelle couldn't enjoy the alone time. She came home to sleep, and that was it. She said a clean but empty house "didn't make sense" to her. Seems like she really hates being alone. Like I said, not having kids to have breaks from, I don't know if that was a normal reaction. I do know that if I had 19 kids, there is no doubt in my mind I'd enjoy the reprieve. 'Course, if I had 19 kids, I'd probably need to be so medicated it wouldn't make a difference!
    I'm curious, was she raised in the Quiverfull religion? Maybe it's all she knows, maybe when she was a teenager she was responsible for a houseful of kids the way her teenagers are. Either way, I think it was a normal reaction.

It is different, though, being the mother of an infant vs. the mother of a young child vs. the mother of a teenager. The mother has to grow emotionally as the baby grows.

FORT Newbie

I don't think she was raised in the Quiver Full movement. They used birth control in the beginning of their marriage. It wasn't until her miscarriage, that may or may not have been caused by the birth control pill that they began leaving the number of their children up to God. Also, I think her family isn't, or wasn't happy with the number of their children.

FORT Fogey

Hmm, that's interesting.

I, personally, think it's silly to blame being on the pill for a miscarriage, although I do respect that when we grieve, we look for a way to make it make sense. But lots of women go from being on the pill to a full-term, healthy pregnancy right?

FORT Newbie

I do believe you're right! Michelle got pregnant whle on the pill, and miscarried. JB's got persistent little buggars, huh? I never did buy into it being the pill, but that's their story, and they're sticking to it. They felt as guilty as if they'd killed the baby deliberately themselves. Eightteen kids later (the miscarriage came after their first kid was born) they apparently are still trying to make up for the miscarriage.

FORT Fogey

Oh wait, she was on the pill when they got pregnant? I thought she HAD been on the pill, then went off it to get pregnant, then had the miscarriage. Because I think the pill actually can be pretty dangerous if you take it when pregnant, since it messes with your hormones.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4029435;
    Oh wait, she was on the pill when they got pregnant? I thought she HAD been on the pill, then went off it to get pregnant, then had the miscarriage. Because I think the pill actually can be pretty dangerous if you take it when pregnant, since it messes with your hormones.
    This is from their website:
    Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar married July 21st, 1984. At that time, they chose to use the birth control pill. They thought, “We don’t want children right now. We can’t afford them. We want children in our timing, when we’re ready.” Four years later they decided to have their first child. Then, Michelle went back on the pill, but she conceived and had a miscarriage. At that point they talked with a Christian medical doctor and read the fine print in the contraceptives package. They found that while taking the pill you can get pregnant and then miscarry. They were grieved! They were Christians! They were pro-life! They realized that their selfish actions had taken the life of their child. They prayed and asked God to forgive them, and to teach them to love children like He loves children. They asked God to bless them with as many children as He saw fit in His timing.

It even says on the pills warnings that it is dangerous to the baby to keep taking it if you get pregnant while on it ( and since you don't know for awhile that you are pregnant and aren't expecting it you usually stay on the pill for weeks after being pregnant ) It's not silly to blame the pill, and I know it feels gut wrenchingly, soul tearingly awful to feel you harmed or killed your own child because of something you did or took while pregnant, even if you did it unknowingly. Their response is their own affair, even if most of the world sees it as over the top.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 08-08-2010 at 03:07 PM.

FORT Fogey

If you'll notice, I amended my opinion when I had the full story. It would have been silly and superstitious had she been OFF the pill at the time, but I know I would feel incredibly guilty and heartsick if that had happened to me.

However, there other forms of birth control that, should they fail, will not harm a fetus - such as condoms, or even just keeping track of your cycle. Their "reaction" is hurting the kids they have brought into the world, who are missing even the basics such as a good education.

+ Reply to Thread