+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 226 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 2254
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

  1. #141
    26.2, baby! Allie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Washington state
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3257449;
    What is the blanket training theory Muduh?
    I had to google it myself. Definitely would not work with all children, IMO. I just couldn't see myself doing this. especially with a switch. I teach my son not to hit things, even stuffed animals.

    Got this from a website called: Blanket Training

    "Blanket training" has been one of the most helpful tools for me! I only wish that I had heard about it before my 7th child came along!! The sweet lady who explained blanket training to me called it her "playpen in a purse"! This concept involves placing your baby or toddler on his/her favorite blanket, explaining to the best of their understanding that they must stay on their blanket, and then demonstrating the consequences of getting off the blanket with a small rod or switch. Simply switch the floor or carpet all around the outside edges of the blanket and firmly but sweetly say, "No, No! Don't touch!" Give your child few favorite toys to keep his attention, and switch the toys out every little bit, and that child will learn to stay on his blanket for quite a long period of time. Begin with just 3 - 5 minutes with very young children, and after practicing every day for several weeks, he will build up his time to play happily on that blanket until he can stay there for an hour or more! What a joy and a help this was to me when I had the older 6 children in school and needed to spend time with them! The joy of this training is that you can fold that blanket up, put it in the diaper bag, and take it easily to a friend's house, or visiting new church members, and your child will sit quietly without disrupting the visit! One of my pet peeves is when folks come to visit and just "unleash" their children to invade every room of your home! What chaos! This blanket training is easily converted to "church training" when you begin taking your young child into the services. Simply fold the blanket and put it on the pew and your child will already understand the limitations and rules!"

  2. #142
    So AMAZING!! Kocky_Kamikaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,804

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3208294;
    What I don't like about them, is that they appear to make the girls all wear dresses. To me, they're fitting them into a stereotype, if they're not of Amish or Mennonite background.
    The Duggars are Pentacostal. It is frowned upon for women to wear pants and makeup. And most often, the women do not cut their hair.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

  3. #143
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Extremely fundementalist sects of Christianity do not wear pants or wear make up and do not engage in "vain" activities such as styling or cutting hair. Some sects even require covering the hair such as amish or mennonite. In fact in many sects of Christianity covered hair on women was how it was.

    There is nothing wrong with girls wearing dresses. In the rest of society there are many women who wear dresses day to day. When not influenced by popular culture how many people would actually wear what they wear?

  4. #144
    Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In The Mist
    Age
    35
    Posts
    20,148

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Wow! That blanket training stuff is horrible, imo! I can understand teaching a child to play by themselves ....but I would think there would be other ways to do it. I can't imagine just giving them this small amount of space to be on. I swear Mrs. Duggar doesn't do anything except have sex and carry babies. You're not much of a mother, imo if you give your kids a blanket to play by themselves on and have the older kids take care of the younger....AND they do all the cleaning and cooking. I don't get it....but thats just me!


    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3257552;
    There is nothing wrong with girls wearing dresses. In the rest of society there are many women who wear dresses day to day. When not influenced by popular culture how many people would actually wear what they wear?
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with wearing dresses. I love them! BUT...for me its the fact that they CAN'T wear pants. I mean...why....who cares? Is it because only a MAN wears pants and therefore you can't be like a man? Which is totally annoying to me and makes me think they feel women are inferior. Don't get me started on that......
    Last edited by JustJuls; 12-25-2008 at 11:23 PM.

  5. #145
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,494

    Re: The Duggar Family

    I had never heard of that blanket training stuff before and my eyes bugged out where that woman describes how the kids will soon be able to stay there for an hour or more! Geesh!

    I did notice on the show where the Duggars had the Bates (?) family over for a visit, how all of the older Bates daughters had a baby in their arms (mom was preggers with number 16 or 17 ). The older daughters' dresses matched the material the younger daughters were wearing! Okay, that is just too weird, unless mom does it on purpose so she can remember which kid is taking care of which kid!

  6. #146
    FORT Fogey Muduh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Sorry MamaC, I didn't get back to answer your request but Allie did a better job of it anyway. Most of us wouldn't think it's too cool to start a kid out being afraid to move but different strokes for different folks, huh?

    Your matching dress idea could be correct. It would have to be easier to instruct "pink plaid jumper" to go stop her kid from getting too close to the stove than it would to try and remember all those names.

  7. #147
    Shark Week! dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,878

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3257580;
    Sure, there's nothing wrong with wearing dresses. I love them! BUT...for me its the fact that they CAN'T wear pants. I mean...why....who cares? Is it because only a MAN wears pants and therefore you can't be like a man? Which is totally annoying to me and makes me think they feel women are inferior. Don't get me started on that......
    Look at it this way, the men can't wear dresses either. I don't think they feel the women are inferior, I think it is more of you wear girl stuff I wear boy stuff.


    That blanket training does sound awful. There are other ways to get a well behaved child.

  8. #148
    FORT Fogey causingchaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,823

    Re: The Duggar Family

    In Christianity women are less than men especially in the more fundamentalist sects. That's the reality of the religion first of all. The traditional marriage ceremony is a father giving up ownership of the daughter to the new husband for example and the Bible is riddled with passages about how women are basically inferior to men.

    The dress thing does not make them subservient though. It is a choice of clothes. For many years in popular culture in this country in spite of religious beliefs wearing pants by women was not accepted at all. So this dress thing is not a new thing either. And if we break it down as stated before it is looked down upon in this country for men to wear women's clothes still. So there really is no such thing as "clothing equality."

    The Amish and Mennonites are even restricted on what males can wear as well. So this clothing thing is not unusual.

    Why must the girls wear pants? Secondly I know many "normal" parents who spent the better part of their small girl's lives trying to force them into wearing pretty dresses and cute clothes and all that stuff and who dictate through out the teen years what their children can and cannot wear. So really if you break it down there is little difference between the Duggars and many other people.

  9. #149
    FORT Fanatic ChristoferHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    495

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3257464;
    I had to google it myself. Definitely would not work with all children, IMO. I just couldn't see myself doing this. especially with a switch. I teach my son not to hit things, even stuffed animals.

    Got this from a website called: Blanket Training

    "Blanket training" has been one of the most helpful tools for me! I only wish that I had heard about it before my 7th child came along!! The sweet lady who explained blanket training to me called it her "playpen in a purse"! This concept involves placing your baby or toddler on his/her favorite blanket, explaining to the best of their understanding that they must stay on their blanket, and then demonstrating the consequences of getting off the blanket with a small rod or switch. Simply switch the floor or carpet all around the outside edges of the blanket and firmly but sweetly say, "No, No! Don't touch!" Give your child few favorite toys to keep his attention, and switch the toys out every little bit, and that child will learn to stay on his blanket for quite a long period of time. Begin with just 3 - 5 minutes with very young children, and after practicing every day for several weeks, he will build up his time to play happily on that blanket until he can stay there for an hour or more! What a joy and a help this was to me when I had the older 6 children in school and needed to spend time with them! The joy of this training is that you can fold that blanket up, put it in the diaper bag, and take it easily to a friend's house, or visiting new church members, and your child will sit quietly without disrupting the visit! One of my pet peeves is when folks come to visit and just "unleash" their children to invade every room of your home! What chaos! This blanket training is easily converted to "church training" when you begin taking your young child into the services. Simply fold the blanket and put it on the pew and your child will already understand the limitations and rules!"
    Sorry all you moms out there, but this sounds absolutely barbaric. If you can't handle your "seven" kids WHY DID YOU HAVE THEM???.

  10. #150
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    Re: The Duggar Family

    This family follows the teachings of a man named Bill Gothard. LOOK BILL GOTHARD up on the internet- creepy. They follow his teachings to a t. He runs a fake college/institute called Advanced Training Institute. They believe in arranged marriages, no tv, no birth control, obeying husbands, etc. They say the children have say about their future lives- but that is absolutely not true. They would be abandoned if they ever turned from this system. There is a lot of abuse in this organization. It is by all means a CULT- christian fundamentalist- although not polygamous like the mormons. It is a very scarey homeschool move across the country of ultra-wackoism. The clothes, the modest swimsuits, the engagement (Did you notice how the oldest boy is PROPOSING and he says, "come over here" to his future bride? demanding her around-- please- some things you just can't hide), I mean come on- what is this? Just NUTTTTTTTSSSSSSS!!!!!! The people making ANY KIND of POSITIVE statements about this are most likely part of this organization. They all stick up for each other- because their all just as strange as the next one.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.