+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree494Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

  1. #1471
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: The Duggar Family

    I wonder if we would all be discussing this so strongly if Josie had been born on term and okay? What a turn of events!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #1472
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,204

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3978249;
    I wonder if we would all be discussing this so strongly if Josie had been born on term and okay? What a turn of events!
    I felt concern for the kids after the last one was born. Poor thing she really had no time with her mother.

    I know that JB's mom stayed and helped at first after Josie was born, then she left and it was up to the girls. I have neard nothing of Michelle's family coming to help. I understand they do not live nearby, however, I think it speaks volumes. I suspect that family is just as discouraged as their fans. I could easily see how they may feel it isn't right to assist the Duggars in this assembly line production and raising of children.

    I'm just waiting for one of the girls to break away and write a tell all book about the misery of her life in that home. Maybe then something will be done to helpel the other girls in that family.

  3. #1473
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C. area
    Posts
    674

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Michelle's father died about a month ago. I believe he had dementia. Maybe the family was too busy caring for him.

    It's also certainly possible her family just doesn't buy into this whole 19 kids thing.

    It's my understanding that Jim Bob's mother now lives with the Duggar family. His late father lived with them also until his death.

  4. #1474
    FORT Fogey princess07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Watch the show last night. Little Josie looks so amazing. I got teary eyed when she started smiling and cooing while Michelle was talking. One of the daughter turned 19, but my question is this, does Jim Bob and Michelle encourage these kids to go to college? Also, does the older children just want to stay at home until they marry? I know they travel and stuff wih the family, but furthering your education is so important these days. My family and I was thinking about this last night because we've never heard the kids express an interest in college.

    Just a thought! Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

  5. #1475
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,204

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4023681;
    Watch the show last night. Little Josie looks so amazing. I got teary eyed when she started smiling and cooing while Michelle was talking. One of the daughter turned 19, but my question is this, does Jim Bob and Michelle encourage these kids to go to college? Also, does the older children just want to stay at home until they marry? I know they travel and stuff wih the family, but furthering your education is so important these days. My family and I was thinking about this last night because we've never heard the kids express an interest in college.

    Just a thought! Maybe someone can enlighten me on this.
    I watched the show last night too. It was great to see Josie thriving. It showed Michelle caring for Josie in the hospital and the older girls taking care of the other kids and running the household. I think this is how things are done with the family anyway. Even if Josie had not been in the hospital, I think Michelle would have cared for her as an infant, then passed her onto the older daugters as she concentrated on another newborn. They didn't mention it last night, but I'm quite curious as to whether Michelle is pregnant again. I would be shocked if she' not.

    REF. COLLEGE EDUCATION. I think there are some posts upthread about this issue. JB and Michelle pay college education lip service, but they do not promote it IMO. JB says that if any of his childrren decided to attend college, then they would support that decision, but I don't believe it. Actions speak louder than words. Also, the limited education they provide the children in their home in effect deprives them from admittance to most accredited colleges IMO. Have you ever seen an episode of their home schooling? Don't get me started. It's pretty sad. I have never heard one word about them visiting a college or how they might want to become a professional that would require one to attend college.

    They don't even promote community college for the older kids. The oldest runs a used car lot and the next to oldest male drives a wrecker. There is nothing wrong with these jobs, however, why not obtain some education before you are married with children and have less opportunity to earn a degree. A college degree can help you no matter what direction your career is headed.

    Another factor with the lack of regard for education is their religious faith. If you look at the links on The Duggars website, you will see their connection to the Independent Fundamental Baptist faith. Josh and Anna were married in an Independent Baptist Church. The books they promote for sale on their website are written by a preacher at an Independent Baptist Church. I grew up in that faith and know quite a bit about it. Higher education is not a priorty for them. I think it stems from their belief that higher education may cause you to doubt the religious training. There are Fundamental Baptist colleges such as Bob Jones University. It's not accredited, however, it's better than nothing.

    I suspect the Duggar parents think that college would take the older daughters from their childcare and household duties there in their home. If they do leave the house it will be so they can go straight into the arms of a husband who can rule over them and keep them pregnant.

    Some of the older daughters used to have on the TLC 19 Kids and Counting website that they wanted to be a midwife, however, that requires education. They have never shown any evidence that any of the children have received any higher education. I suppose they could be taking on-line college classes, but that is not a substitute for a real college experience.

    That's my take on it.

    OH, Anna, Josh's wife has on their website that she has a 4 year college degree in some religious type major. I don't know the details about that, but I suspect it may be from an on-line program.

  6. #1476
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    33

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3972463;
    There is something so wrong with these people, it makes me sick. I was completely nonjudgmental and figured it's their lives, whatever they want to do with it is up to them until I read their article a couple of months ago about possibly being pregnant even at that time (while Josie was in the hospital on life support).

    They say they follow a higher power -- well what if Josie was that power's way of saying you're done!

    They remind me of the joke where a person is floating in the ocean and a boat comes by and offers help and they say, no thanks, a higher power will save me. Another boat comes by and same response. Finally, the person dies. When he's there in the aferlife, he asks the higher power, why didn't you save me? And the higher power says I sent you 2 rescue boats!!!

    That's what I feel like is happening here. In possibly moving forward with having another child, they're ignoring the "sign" that was already sent to them...(Nevermind trying to take care of a high needs baby with another newborn!)
    I totally agree with you. I just read yesterday on Facebook about them wanting baby #20 and it just made me sick. Before Josie I would have said that they can do what they want, but after having such a pre-mature baby I cannot believe that Michelle would be willing to take that risk again. I don't think she's going to stop until it kills her or an innocent baby. It's still uncertain what long term affects Josie will have from coming so early. Poor baby.

  7. #1477
    FORT Fogey princess07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4023781;
    I watched the show last night too. It was great to see Josie thriving. It showed Michelle caring for Josie in the hospital and the older girls taking care of the other kids and running the household. I think this is how things are done with the family anyway. Even if Josie had not been in the hospital, I think Michelle would have cared for her as an infant, then passed her onto the older daugters as she concentrated on another newborn. They didn't mention it last night, but I'm quite curious as to whether Michelle is pregnant again. I would be shocked if she' not.

    REF. COLLEGE EDUCATION. I think there are some posts upthread about this issue. JB and Michelle pay college education lip service, but they do not promote it IMO. JB says that if any of his childrren decided to attend college, then they would support that decision, but I don't believe it. Actions speak louder than words. Also, the limited education they provide the children in their home in effect deprives them from admittance to most accredited colleges IMO. Have you ever seen an episode of their home schooling? Don't get me started. It's pretty sad. I have never heard one word about them visiting a college or how they might want to become a professional that would require one to attend college.

    They don't even promote community college for the older kids. The oldest runs a used car lot and the next to oldest male drives a wrecker. There is nothing wrong with these jobs, however, why not obtain some education before you are married with children and have less opportunity to earn a degree. A college degree can help you no matter what direction your career is headed.

    Another factor with the lack of regard for education is their religious faith. If you look at the links on The Duggars website, you will see their connection to the Independent Fundamental Baptist faith. Josh and Anna were married in an Independent Baptist Church. The books they promote for sale on their website are written by a preacher at an Independent Baptist Church. I grew up in that faith and know quite a bit about it. Higher education is not a priorty for them. I think it stems from their belief that higher education may cause you to doubt the religious training. There are Fundamental Baptist colleges such as Bob Jones University. It's not accredited, however, it's better than nothing.

    I suspect the Duggar parents think that college would take the older daughters from their childcare and household duties there in their home. If they do leave the house it will be so they can go straight into the arms of a husband who can rule over them and keep them pregnant.

    Some of the older daughters used to have on the TLC 19 Kids and Counting website that they wanted to be a midwife, however, that requires education. They have never shown any evidence that any of the children have received any higher education. I suppose they could be taking on-line college classes, but that is not a substitute for a real college experience.

    That's my take on it.

    OH, Anna, Josh's wife has on their website that she has a 4 year college degree in some religious type major. I don't know the details about that, but I suspect it may be from an on-line program.
    Wow you sheds some light on a lot of things. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I didn't know Anna has a website. I must check it out.

  8. #1478
    FORT Fan Erinn_123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    355

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by RHFan1205;4023948;
    I totally agree with you. I just read yesterday on Facebook about them wanting baby #20 and it just made me sick. Before Josie I would have said that they can do what they want, but after having such a pre-mature baby I cannot believe that Michelle would be willing to take that risk again. I don't think she's going to stop until it kills her or an innocent baby. It's still uncertain what long term affects Josie will have from coming so early. Poor baby.
    I just don't understand WHY she would want to put another life in jeopardy. Personally if I were her I would've stopped after Josie.

  9. #1479
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,204

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4024150;
    Wow you sheds some light on a lot of things. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I didn't know Anna has a website. I must check it out.
    Here is the link for Josh and Anna. .

    The Josh & Anna Duggar Family | The Official Website | 19 Kids & Counting!


    This is the page that says she received a B.A. in Christian Education. The same paragraph said she taught Sunday school and continued her education at home where she graduated from high school at age 16.

    Josh & Anna Duggar | Our Story
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.

  10. #1480
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: The Duggar Family

    One of my main problems with the Duggars is that they give home schoolers such a bad name. I wasn't home schooled, but I know several families of home schoolers through various activities, and they are all lovely, exceptionally intelligent, well mannered kids. They're all homeschooling through their school district, so they have to at least adhere to some state standards, and by law they're allowed to participate in school sports for their district which allows them to interact with all kinds of other kids their age.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.