+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree312Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

Re: The Duggar Family

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3964545;
    I don't see quality education happening with the Duggars as JB recently demonstrated how the already overworked and overwhelmed, older sister was teaching the younger kids and the older ones were left to computers. That's great, but who is the teacher? Oh, the sister was teaching and at the same time babysitting the youngest toddler. They seem to have no real appreciation for education. They give it lip service, but that's it.
    As their family is basically the same size as an average classroom, the only positive aspect of homeschooling - that one-on-one attention - is nullified. As far as I'm concerned, the senior Duggars are famewhores exploiting their children - no better than the Gosselins. I found your list of the things that their particular faith finds unacceptable interesting - how in the world did exploitative reality TV sneak on to the "OK" list?

Eh, I'm just venting. I still cannot understand how people who do nothing except produce litters of offspring rate time on television.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

There are many fans of the Duggars. I think that is how they keep their show, plus all the people who watch the show the way you would a train wreck. Thus the high ratings. Actually, if you watch you will see that Michelle, the mother, is really quite personable. I think she has some great qualities about her. She is rather charming and appears to have a good sense of humor. The problem is when you look at what is really happening in that home as opposed to what she is saying. They aren't the same. I don't think she really sees what has happened since she gave up the child rearing to her older daughters and resigned herself to child bearing only. Her interest in the children seems limited to an infant in her arms. Once they are able to walk, they are passed off and she is once again preoccupied with an infant in her arms.

I'm not as wild about the dad. He tends to bother me after hearing some of his comments that make me wonder about him, such as when he said TWICE that his kids were his hobby. I know. Sick. He also keeps saying that the older girls really help out with the younger children, which is nuts because they DO IT ALL, cook, clean, teach, change diapers, feed kids, etc. What does he mean by helping out. That's just an insult to the girls IMO.

One major problem that I see is that IMO, I think the parents are attention seekers who thrive on attention. I think they are both very addicted to it and that is why they really have so many kids and that they were like that before they ever went on tv. I think the Quiver Full excuse is just that. They claim that all children are a blessing from God, so therefore bring on as many as possible, but I don't see that as the real reason for all the kids. I think it is part of their addiction to attention.

I think TLC likes to run or ruin anything. We'll see how this family turns out. I really do hope that the exposure the kids got to the real world will in some way help them break free and get an education and/or follow their own dreams. Perhaps there will be a silver lining.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-06-2010 at 04:55 PM.

FORT Newbie

I agree with you. I only hope the feedback they receive some how opens their eyes. (Hope springs eternal) When the series first started, the girls dressed like Little House on the Prairie. I don't know if was the negative feedback or not, but at least they're dressing more or less normally now. Like you, I hope the kids are able to see another way of living than the one they're being taught. I really hope the older girls don't rush into marriage and motherhood, but what are the chances of that? So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggar groupie;3967525;
    I agree with you. I only hope the feedback they receive some how opens their eyes. (Hope springs eternal) When the series first started, the girls dressed like Little House on the Prairie. I don't know if was the negative feedback or not, but at least they're dressing more or less normally now. Like you, I hope the kids are able to see another way of living than the one they're being taught. I really hope the older girls don't rush into marriage and motherhood, but what are the chances of that? So sad.

This is true. If it's all you have known, I can imagine it might be difficult to make your life.

I did hear Michelle say once that she had learned some things from negative feedback she had gotten as a result of the show. I took that as a positive sign. Still, I can't see her and JB changing their position on having as many kids as possible without professional intervention and I don't think they would accept that. Who knows, she may have 5-6 more healthy pregnancies down the road. I'm not sure if their fan base will follow that or not though.

FORT Newbie

The unfortunate truth is that they really believe having all the kids you can is Biblical. I agree; short of an intervention, they'll contunue to do so. I do hope that the situation w/ Josie opened their eyes, but I'm not sure it has. I don't even think loss of their fan base will change them, because they were doing this before they had a fan base.

Michelle even said that as a family, they talked about adopting when she's no longer able to get pregnant. They're like that show "Hoarders", only instead of hoarding stuff, they hoard babies....

FORT Fanatic

I don't believe for a second that any reputable adoption agency would consider giving the Duggars either a permanent child or a temporary foster child placement. Too many kids. Not enough supervision. No way.

FORT Newbie

[QUOTE=swissmiss150;3969710;]I don't believe for a second that any reputable adoption agency would consider giving the Duggars either a permanent child or a temporary foster child placement. Too many kids. Not enough supervision. No way.[/QUOTE

I hadn't thought of that. God, I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3969710;
    I don't believe for a second that any reputable adoption agency would consider giving the Duggars either a permanent child or a temporary foster child placement. Too many kids. Not enough supervision. No way.

maybe they would go to a disreputable one. A few years ago, no one would think a supposedly reputable fertility docotr would implant 8 embyos in a single mom who already has 6 very young children. But then there was that octo woman

If Michelle can't do it the regular way, they do Invitro Fertilization in India without any limitation on age. I saw a TLC special last night where they implanted an embryo in a 70 year old woman. She and her husband had been trying to conceive for 50 years!!!!!! The doctor said elderly people are more settled and make better parents than young ones who work too much and are too busy to care for the child. I am NOT kidding. She had a healthy, beautiful baby. Really. Plus she was breast feeding!!!! You can't make stuff like this up. Check TLC. I'll serach for the link.

It's called Pregnant at 70. It's a TLC special.

TLC :: TV Listings :: Pregnant at 70
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-08-2010 at 02:44 PM.

FORT Fogey Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion nanarama's Avatar

[QUOTE=Duggar groupie;3969717;]
    Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3969710;
    I don't believe for a second that any reputable adoption agency would consider giving the Duggars either a permanent child or a temporary foster child placement. Too many kids. Not enough supervision. No way.[/QUOTE

I hadn't thought of that. God, I hope you're right!
    Actually, I think the adoption comments may have been in response to their mission trips to El Salvadore. They worked with a really primitive, pitiful orphanage there and were saying that they wished they could adopt one of the children who were in such dire need. In fact, they probably would've tried except they said getting through the red-tape there takes several years and the older children in the orphanage (who were in the most need and would cry because they knew they would never be adopted and be part of a family) would've been too old by then.
    Say what you will about the Duggars (and there are a few things I'm not comfortable with,) I think, overall, their hearts are in the right place and they try to do the right thing as they see it.

+ Reply to Thread