+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree347Likes

Thread: The Duggar Family

  1. #1431
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,945

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3960316;
    Libgirl2, poor kids, I wonder if they even know what the outside life is really like. I'm glad they are at least frequenting a library. Books are the key to knowledge. I pray the parents allow the kids some variety in their reading.

    If they are strict fundamentalists, they won't allow any books about the occult, astrology, vampires, ghost, etc. They find many things sinful and against God. Certain things are not tolerated such as peace signs, astrological signs like Capricorn or Aries, anything with people in swimsuits, contemporary Christian music or evolution. Billy Graham and his ministries are frowned upon as are public schools and any government regulation, including those for schools, orphanages and reform schools. Many adhere to corporal punishment for teens in their "Christian Home for Wayward Children."

    It can be very scary. I hope they pay their late fees so they can keep using the library.
    In the past I used to request books for them from other libraries. Now I read tons of history, fictional and non-fiction and I have never heard of the author whose books they read, but he was around sometime in the 30s.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  2. #1432
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3960316;
    Libgirl2, poor kids, I wonder if they even know what the outside life is really like. I'm glad they are at least frequenting a library. Books are the key to knowledge. I pray the parents allow the kids some variety in their reading.

    If they are strict fundamentalists, they won't allow any books about the occult, astrology, vampires, ghost, etc. They find many things sinful and against God. Certain things are not tolerated such as peace signs, astrological signs like Capricorn or Aries, anything with people in swimsuits, contemporary Christian music or evolution. Billy Graham and his ministries are frowned upon as are public schools and any government regulation, including those for schools, orphanages and reform schools. Many adhere to corporal punishment for teens in their "Christian Home for Wayward Children."

    It can be very scary. I hope they pay their late fees so they can keep using the library.
    It doesn't all have to be that bad. We are homeschoolers and I have a shoulder length cut with highlights in my hair, make-up, and stylish clothes. My kids look like every other kid. My son wears his hair "spikey" with hair gel. And, we are part of a HUGE homeschool community here in the Houston area where that is the norm. Our family doesn't do vampires, ghosts, occult, astrology, or secular music, but we read more classic literature than most, we watch television, and my sons are in a Christian rock band. Both of my sons tested out a college level reading and vocabulary and they are extremely smart in a "common sense" way. When I compare them to their friends who do spend all of their time obsessing over vampires and pop music stars, my sons are much brighter and more articulate. I think the kids that are constantly reading vapid stories and spending their time pursuing worldly acceptance are not as happy, definitely not as smart, and not as well-rounded as a child who spends their time with good literature, learning, and music that has positive lyrics that lift them up rather than bring them down. It's like the saying: "garbage in, garbage out". What you fill your mind with will be what comes out of you. I'd rather fill my kids' minds with things that matter than a bunch of junk.

    We are not all freaks living in a bubble and in the 19th century!

    I've always liked the Duggars and think that their kids are great, but I'm not thrilled with how things have been going lately and I hope that they turn it around. They say the girls are able to go to college or vocational school if they want, but I would like to see one of them actually do something like that. They would be a great "light" out there! I don't want them to waste their lives raising their mother's babies.

  3. #1433
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    36

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;3961625;
    In the past I used to request books for them from other libraries. Now I read tons of history, fictional and non-fiction and I have never heard of the author whose books they read, but he was around sometime in the 30s.
    An author from the thirties, and a vegetarian cook book? i don't know wether to laugh or cry. That's sad, really. Poor kids.

  4. #1434
    FORT Fogey nanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3961973;
    It doesn't all have to be that bad. We are homeschoolers and I have a shoulder length cut with highlights in my hair, make-up, and stylish clothes. My kids look like every other kid. My son wears his hair "spikey" with hair gel. And, we are part of a HUGE homeschool community here in the Houston area where that is the norm. Our family doesn't do vampires, ghosts, occult, astrology, or secular music, but we read more classic literature than most, we watch television, and my sons are in a Christian rock band. Both of my sons tested out a college level reading and vocabulary and they are extremely smart in a "common sense" way. When I compare them to their friends who do spend all of their time obsessing over vampires and pop music stars, my sons are much brighter and more articulate. I think the kids that are constantly reading vapid stories and spending their time pursuing worldly acceptance are not as happy, definitely not as smart, and not as well-rounded as a child who spends their time with good literature, learning, and music that has positive lyrics that lift them up rather than bring them down. It's like the saying: "garbage in, garbage out". What you fill your mind with will be what comes out of you. I'd rather fill my kids' minds with things that matter than a bunch of junk.

    We are not all freaks living in a bubble and in the 19th century!

    I've always liked the Duggars and think that their kids are great, but I'm not thrilled with how things have been going lately and I hope that they turn it around. They say the girls are able to go to college or vocational school if they want, but I would like to see one of them actually do something like that. They would be a great "light" out there! I don't want them to waste their lives raising their mother's babies.
    Thanks for your post. I, too have conservative values though my children went to public school. One of my daughters is a violinist and when she played in a youth symphony she was astounded and impressed to be around a lot of home schoolers who were brilliant and more multi-dimensional than most of her peers. Now that she is grown and a mom, she plans to home school her daughter. (And she's been a public school orchestra teacher so she's familiar with public education.)
    Also, I think parents have a right - even an obligation to censor what their children can read and watch till they are old enough to make those decisions on their own. We all have different standards for our families. I don't have a problem with the Duggars having their strict standards, though they aren't the same as mine. I hope their lives settle down, the issues that make us uncomfortable are addressed, and they go back to being the good examples of family values I have found them to be in the past.

  5. #1435
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    36

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3957482;
    Sadly, if they haven't shown any resentment at their treatment or rebelled at all by now, they're probably brainwashed.

    I have a deep respect for all religions and the right to practice whatever you want. What I do NOT respect is people who use their religion to excuse mistreating their children. I have long felt that the Duggar girls have been mistreated, or at the least neglected, and all of this just confirms it.

    It seems to me like if Josie was healthy enough to go home, she was healthy enough that Jim Bob could stay with her for a few days, while Michelle went home to take care of the sick kids.

    Although there's a vaccine, I think you can still get the infection, it's just a milder case. Unvaccinated, you can die from Chicken Pox. Vaccinated, it's one of those things like tonsilitis - kids get it, and it sucks for the kid and the parents, but it's not the worst thing in the world. Although 12 kids wanting to itch and feeling awful just makes my head spin.
    Horrors and egads! Are you suggesting that JB do wimmin's work?:nono One good thing about that seperation was that there was less time for baby-making!

  6. #1436
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,945

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3961973;
    ,
    We are not all freaks living in a bubble and in the 19th century!
    I know you aren't. I have several friends who homeschooled or who have homeschooled. My best friend did, the kids are involved in Christian Youth Theater, attend church etc.... yet the girls are out at the pool in two piece swimsuits, they wear shorts, they dye their hair. We can't lump all homeschoolers in the same group.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  7. #1437
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,945

    Re: The Duggar Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggar groupie;3962490;
    An author from the thirties, and a vegetarian cook book? i don't know wether to laugh or cry. That's sad, really. Poor kids.
    There are plenty of good books out there that don't have to do with the occult. I read plenty of fantastic Christian fiction. I never once saw these kids with anything that is just plain old entertaining.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #1438
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,290

    Re: The Duggar Family

    It's great to hear of those who really believe home schooling is working for them and that their kids are getting what they need socially. It's difficult for me to imagine. Most of the ones I have personally seen in my life were disturbing. With the exception of one, the children I observed appeared socially inept and demonstrated no mastery of academic skills. Yes, their parents were always eager to talk about how advanced the kids were as students, but the proof was not there. I have no idea how the kids passed state mandatory exams. Also, only one of the dozens I have known ever went on to college. It's good to hear that there are success stories out there.

    I don't see quality education happening with the Duggars as JB recently demonstrated how the already overworked and overwhelmed, older sister was teaching the younger kids and the older ones were left to computers. That's great, but who is the teacher? Oh, the sister was teaching and at the same time babysitting the youngest toddler. They seem to have no real appreciation for education. They give it lip service, but that's it.

    As far as watching the Duggars, I fail to see how the parents are modeling good Christian standards when they are failing to provide adequate care, attention and training to their own children. It seems to me that would be your first priorty as a Christian parent. Some how growing their family seems more important than caring for the family members that are already there.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-05-2010 at 02:20 PM.

  9. #1439
    signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,557

    Re: The Duggar Family

    I've seen good and bad homeschool teachers. Usually the bad ones end up putting their kids back in school because it is much easier. I'm part of a large support group and we have our children tested each year by an outside person with the Stanford Achievement Test. My 13 yr old tested out in college level for every subject but math (his most hated of all subjects! :o)), which was just a little above his grade level. My older son, who is dyslexic and the school system completely failed him, tested out above average in most subjects, college level in reading vocabulary, and only low in spelling. The poor kid couldn't read a word in 2nd grade at school and they had him in all kinds of special programs that were stressing him out and not helping a bit. He was actually puking in the carpool lane at the thought of having to go to school.

    There have been plenty of studies done that show that homeschoolers generally score higher in standardized tests, so there is no question that the one-on-one method of teaching is superior to group environments. But, as in every group, there are people who will do a bad job. The Duggar family previously used a curriculum by the Bill Gothard people, which is a good curriculum but definitely not my style, and Michelle taught them all together for many subjects. It was just the past year (it seemed like) when they changed to more computer curriculum and the girls seemed to take on more of the teaching. I think it would be really great if Michelle could find time to have one-on-one teaching time with each child each day. I have always supported a woman's choice to have as many kids as they choose, but when it gets to the point that she cannot support that child's needs, I can no longer support that.

    I'm with you, nanarama, I really hope they get it together and get back to the great family that they once were.

  10. #1440
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: The Duggar Family

    There has definitely been a shift in the dynamics of this family over the past year and I have not watched any of the episodes recently. As maude~flanders posted - I really hope they get it together and get back to the great family that they once were.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.